Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Australia- 5th Test- Sydney 3rd-7th January 2018

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It's not been a whole lot of fun listening to the coverage of the Ashes. Of course mostly this is because of the less than ordinary performance of Our Boys but I also think just how bland and lightweight the radio coverage has been. This is going to sound like an old git moaning (mainly because it is) but this morning I was treated to a succession of bland-to-the-point- of- anonymous commentators (although all were competent) plus the 'expert' summarising of someone called Ebony Rainford-Brent who seemed to spend most of the time laughing.. This was a bit of a meagre diet to someone brought-up on Arlott, McGilvray, Cozier, and CMJ (not to mention Bailey, Truman and the like in the experts' chair). I never thought I'd say this but it made me yearn for the more recent days of Blowers and Tuffers...............

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's not been a whole lot of fun listening to the coverage of the Ashes. Of course mostly this is because of the less than ordinary performance of Our Boys but I also think just how bland and lightweight the radio coverage has been. This is going to sound like an old git moaning (mainly because it is) but this morning I was treated to a succession of bland-to-the-point- of- anonymous commentators (although all were competent) plus the 'expert' summarising of someone called Ebony Rainford-Brent who seemed to spend most of the time laughing.. This was a bit of a meagre diet to someone brought-up on Arlott, McGilvray, Cozier, and CMJ (not to mention Bailey, Truman and the like in the experts' chair). I never thought I'd say this but it made me yearn for the more recent days of Blowers and Tuffers...............

I'll take Ebony Rainford-Brent rather than Alison Mitchell or EVEN worse KP!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ok as long as we don't let "look how clever I am" Swann near a microphone.

I do agree it is very flat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Amazing how Smith has come on, he looked sub-County standard when I saw him at the MCG back in 2010!

You have to admire how hard he has worked at his game. I remember that Alec Stewart seemed very ordinary when he started with England but turned himself into a world class cricketer, while I also remember a young Stuart Broad playing a one-dayer for England and getting carted for 6 sixes in one over.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like a charitable theme today. Although I'm not sure that their batting will be so.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This new ball is our only chance of avoiding a declaration. Let’s hope we get some luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just to add to our misery, now we seem to have a Complete And Utter Shyster type 3rd. umpire - that 'no ball' is highly contentious it seems.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ok as long as we don't let "look how clever I am" Swann near a microphone.

I do agree it is very flat.

Sorry to bang on about this but I thought the standard reached a new low overnight when Swanny and someone called 'Dan' were on together and there was a kind of ghastly banter-fest. Things always take a turn for the worse when Swann

a) launches an anecdote on some epic drinking feat;
b) treats us to his repertoire of impersonations and 'funny' accents;
c) wraps himself in the flag of St George and plays the patriotic card (sometimes in the face of reality)

Back in the day he'd have been put in his place by one of the TMS squirearchy.

(Mood of listener not enhanced by repeated hammerings from Aussies.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry to bang on about this but I thought the standard reached a new low overnight when Swanny and someone called 'Dan' were on together and there was a kind of ghastly banter-fest. Things always take a turn for the worse when Swann

a) launches an anecdote on some epic drinking feat;
b) treats us to his repertoire of impersonations and 'funny' accents;
c) wraps himself in the flag of St George and plays the patriotic card (sometimes in the face of reality)

Back in the day he'd have been put in his place by one of the TMS squirearchy.

(Mood of listener not enhanced by repeated hammerings from Aussies.)

Shame he never feels not up to it and goes home halfway through the series. Hang on a minute...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here