Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Australia- 5th Test- Sydney 3rd-7th January 2018

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pathetic from England again. Work hard all day get in to a strong position then throw it away. Every test match we have been looking good at some point, every test match we fall apart when it gets to the point of actually pressing home that advantage. Heads should roll, Bayliss has not improved this side at all. Root has not batted well enough since being captain and his constant failures between 50 and 100 totally embody this side. Stoneman just isn't good enough, Vince is a walking slip practice machine, Moeen has stunk the place out all series, Broad has bowled dreadfully bar one spell and the other seamers are not up to the job. They look like they have not planned for this series at all, no pace, no genuine spin competition and the same batsmen who have collapsed time and time again for the last four years.

You go girl !

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So apparently the nightwatchman decision is left to the player going out to bat: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jan/04/dawid-malan-jonny-bairstow-nightwatchman-england-ashes

So Bairstow dug his own grave there. I tend to agree with Swann that perhaps he should have been overruled in this situation. The flip side of that is if Crane gets sent out and immediately returns having had his stumps shattered by a Starc screamer, you're still exposing Bairstow. I think the real answer here is that Bairstow, having made the decision to go out, should have turned down the single and let Malan take the last over - you want the guy with his eye in handling the new ball. In that situation only a nightwatchman should be claiming the strike for the final over, because that's his job - protecting the recognised bat(s).

Re: Crane - I think it's important to remember he's young. 2 years younger than Warne was on debut, and we all remember what happened to him. The debut game was a disaster statistically (1 for 150), but he showed enough that the Aussies took him away, worked with him, got him a 1-to-1 coach, and when they brought him back again they did so knowing that his flaws had been ironed out. I think, for Crane, what's important in this test isn't the headline bowling figures he gets. It'll be in how he handles the game, what the Aussie bats have to say about him once they've faced him (from memory Shastri had good things to say after that Warne debut despite the figures).

He's a leggy. They're almost always far from their best at his age, as they're still learning their art and mastering consistent control and figuring out their variations. Realistically I wouldn't expect him to be a test regular until he's closer to 25 than his current 20, but that shouldn't stop the selectors giving him the occasional run on the test stage. They just need to manage his (and their own) expectations. He needs to be told to just go out and enjoy himself and that it doesn't matter what his figures look like after this.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
..., Vince is a walking slip practice machine,....

Got this from the Guardian comments section. Made me chuckle.

Incy Vincey Spider
Gave his drives a clout
Down swung the ball
And got the Vincey out
Out came the sunshine
And dried up all the rain
And incy Vincey spider
Nicked to slip again

Incy Vincey spider
Started like a dream
Chased a wide half volley
That made the keeper scream
Up went the finger
And Vincey had to go
So incy Vincey spider
Had another mow

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So apparently the nightwatchman decision is left to the player going out to bat: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jan/04/dawid-malan-jonny-bairstow-nightwatchman-england-ashes

So Bairstow dug his own grave there. I tend to agree with Swann that perhaps he should have been overruled in this situation. The flip side of that is if Crane gets sent out and immediately returns having had his stumps shattered by a Starc screamer, you're still exposing Bairstow. I think the real answer here is that Bairstow, having made the decision to go out, should have turned down the single and let Malan take the last over - you want the guy with his eye in handling the new ball. In that situation only a nightwatchman should be claiming the strike for the final over, because that's his job - protecting the recognised bat(s).

Re: Crane - I think it's important to remember he's young. 2 years younger than Warne was on debut, and we all remember what happened to him. The debut game was a disaster statistically (1 for 150), but he showed enough that the Aussies took him away, worked with him, got him a 1-to-1 coach, and when they brought him back again they did so knowing that his flaws had been ironed out. I think, for Crane, what's important in this test isn't the headline bowling figures he gets. It'll be in how he handles the game, what the Aussie bats have to say about him once they've faced him (from memory Shastri had good things to say after that Warne debut despite the figures).

He's a leggy. They're almost always far from their best at his age, as they're still learning their art and mastering consistent control and figuring out their variations. Realistically I wouldn't expect him to be a test regular until he's closer to 25 than his current 20, but that shouldn't stop the selectors giving him the occasional run on the test stage. They just need to manage his (and their own) expectations. He needs to be told to just go out and enjoy himself and that it doesn't matter what his figures look like after this.

Interesting read- although the clamour for a leg spinner of his age and experience is worrying. He's not even a regular down the road. It's all a bit Ian Salisbury to me- and he had a good C.V. For some reason (the Warne Effect) people get excited about leggies.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh for a century stand for Malaan and Moeen Ali who is due a big score.
I think we have blown it as usual BG. Chuck a couple more quick wickets on when play resumes and we are 250-7 and where are we going?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yet again utter rubbish. I will still be up at 4.30AM, but Christ alone knows why!

better off staying up til 1 am then trudging off to bed rather than wake to the disappointment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The two we gave away last night we've got back this morning. England need to cash in on their good fortune and get up past 330 towards 350.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Disappointing end from Moeen. These two need to dig in.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
96-2 at Tea, goes without saying a certain Aussie player need to be dismissed ASAP.

Amazing how Smith has come on, he looked sub-County standard when I saw him at the MCG back in 2010!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here