Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Proper Darts

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
If you ever get the chance watch the BBC documentary on the 1993 Split in Darts.
It all came down to a power struggle between Olly Croft who effectively created the BDO and the top players of the time, Sky and the PDC have delivered everything, and perhaps more, that the players asked for back then.
I wonder if some of the lesser lights in the BDO at the time had stood up to Croft whether the PDC would never have happened and the BDO would be the only Darts organisation today?
From what I remember from when I played he was hard to stand up to, he banned Bristow from the world championships thats how powerful he thought he was. Typical dart politics. Sky delivered for sure especially when the BBC no longer really wanted to be associated with darts. Familiar story with a lot of sports that Sky took on that BBC dropped into the bin.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As a typical thursday night darts player, I think the criticism of the BDO is mainly fuelled by people who only watch the PDC and think that is the norm. It isn't. What Rob Cross has done is insane, and players like MVG, Barney, Anderson and Peter Wright are incredible. The difference between them and the next best, even in the PDC, is staggering.

That said, Rob Cross failed to qualify for the BDO World Championship, Anderson failed to win it (he's won the PDC Worlds twice) and Barney came through the BDO as well. There are countless examples of players stepping up into the PDC having played in the BDO first, even some who weren't particularly special in the BDO. Throwing consistently is really difficult, I spend many hours per week playing darts and I'm a 26 merchant more often than not. The occasional ton, ton-forty find their way into the board and I manage a maximum on a monthly basis! But I appreciate the level of the BDO, and the PDC.

I don't generally watch the BDO though, I'm happy enough watching that standard in the pub. It's a similar principle to football, I don't want to watch park football on the TV so I'll give the non-league a swerve.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think, as Hiney said, part of the issue people have is with the BDO calling it a World Championship.

The tournament is what it is, but the winner calling himself World Champion is about as realistic as me beating my partner at Words With Friends and claiming to be World Scrabble Champion.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've lumped on Scott Waites @ 22/1 each way.

For a former champion to be that price and a perennial favourite with the crowd, he must have a tough draw? If Scotty doesn't win it I hope Wolfie does it again. Now recovered from his illness.

I do love Lakeside. The crowd are usually respectful towards the players.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
As a typical thursday night darts player, I think the criticism of the BDO is mainly fuelled by people who only watch the PDC and think that is the norm. It isn't. What Rob Cross has done is insane, and players like MVG, Barney, Anderson and Peter Wright are incredible. The difference between them and the next best, even in the PDC, is staggering.

That said, Rob Cross failed to qualify for the BDO World Championship, Anderson failed to win it (he's won the PDC Worlds twice) and Barney came through the BDO as well. There are countless examples of players stepping up into the PDC having played in the BDO first, even some who weren't particularly special in the BDO. Throwing consistently is really difficult, I spend many hours per week playing darts and I'm a 26 merchant more often than not. The occasional ton, ton-forty find their way into the board and I manage a maximum on a monthly basis! But I appreciate the level of the BDO, and the PDC.

I don't generally watch the BDO though, I'm happy enough watching that standard in the pub. It's a similar principle to football, I don't want to watch park football on the TV so I'll give the non-league a swerve.

Ninja, you were doing so well until your final paragraph mate! I know what you mean but the occasion and cosiness can't be matched by the PDC in my opinion.

"Let's. Play. Darts!!!" :thumbsup:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'll be there a a couple of nights during the week as its on my doorstep.Everyone has to start somewhere.Even the great Eric Bristow won a Final with an average of 86 . Darts has improved so much ,players like Manley ,Dudbridge and Painter who Phil Taylor beat in PDC finals wouldn't even get past round 1 at the highest level of Darts.

I think Jamie 'Yozza' Hughes will go a long way. The Wolves fan pings 140's regularly when he's on a roll.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think, as Hiney said, part of the issue people have is with the BDO calling it a World Championship.

The tournament is what it is, but the winner calling himself World Champion is about as realistic as me beating my partner at Words With Friends and claiming to be World Scrabble Champion.

This.

And I think television has played its part in this as well. The fact is that they market it as a World Championship which it patently isn't.

If whoever is screening it this year just called it a regular tournament, I think there would be more credibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
One thing that the BDO has on the PDC is less bellends per square inch in the audience. Cluck me, the PDC was BRILLIANT 10-15 years ago but it's become a complete parody of itself, does anyone even actually watch the darts?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
One thing that the BDO has on the PDC is less bellends per square inch in the audience. Cluck me, the PDC was BRILLIANT 10-15 years ago but it's become a complete parody of itself, does anyone even actually watch the darts?

I thought exactly that during the MVG vs Cross semi final, the other thing that came across was that throughout the booing and whistling for MVG when on various important doubles,the Match Ref, Russ Bray, didn't once warn the crowd or ask for best of order.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gutted for Wolfe, absolute belter yesterday but couldn’t quite oust the 2nd seed McGeeney. Rolled back the years in that 4th set though and the crowd went absolutely bonkers when he hit that 13 darter.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
My two outright selections are both in action today. Scott Waites and Wesley Harms. Hopefully they can both get through.

Ross Montgomery v Waites should be a cracker this afternoon.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I thought exactly that during the MVG vs Cross semi final, the other thing that came across was that throughout the booing and whistling for MVG when on various important doubles,the Match Ref, Russ Bray, didn't once warn the crowd or ask for best of order.

They’ve created a rod for their own back though.

I’ve been watching darts for circa 25 yards - on a par with football for me. 10+ years ago Russ Bray would have nipped that in the bud with a “ladies and gentlemen, the very best of order please”.

Now they callers don’t even bother. Why?? Because it is the boisterous, inebriated, working class that has driven the prize money up to astronomical levels - £500,000 for the next word championship. Increased prize money, more tournaments, Sky coverage, young talent in abundance and 3 darts averages on a scale never seen before, are all a by product of the proletariat besieging arenas up and down the country.

One drives the other and both Sky and the PDC need the louts, chavs and unpleasantly for it to continue thriving.

Darts is in a great place at the moment and if all the PDC have to worry about is a few hecklers, Barry Hearn will continue beaming from ear to ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
They’ve created a rod for their own back though.

I’ve been watching darts for circa 25 yards - on a par with football for me. 10+ years ago Russ Bray would have nipped that in the bud with a “ladies and gentlemen, the very best of order please”.

Now they callers don’t even bother. Why?? Because it is the boisterous, inebriated, working class that has driven the prize money up to astronomical levels - £500,000 for the next word championship. Increased prize money, more tournaments, Sky coverage, young talent in abundance and 3 darts averages on a scale never seen before, are all a by product of the proletariat besieging arenas up and down the country.

One drives the other and both Sky and the PDC need the louts, chavs and unpleasantly for it to continue thriving.

Darts is in a great place at the moment and if all the PDC have to worry about is a few hecklers, Barry Hearn will continue beaming from ear to ear.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My two outright selections are both in action today. Scott Waites and Wesley Harms. Hopefully they can both get through.

Ross Montgomery v Waites should be a cracker this afternoon.

Agreed.

Scotty II Hotty v The Boss

Waites 2 time World Champion and Grand Slam Winner v The Boss, number 5 seed and Scotland Captain. Should be an absolute belter and could easily have been a semi or a final.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a load of rubbish that walk on by Montgomery. He kept shaking hands with people and they are his weapons so anybody could have shook his hands and squeezed them causing him problems. Sportsmen whose hands are their weapons usually keep them away from fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here