Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri. Lewes Depot. Sold Out. This is a great film. A Wonderful script with some hilarious dark humour. McDiormid is a shue in for the Oscar best actress. Her performance was sublime in a very difficult role. She nailed it. Equally impressive was Rockwell as a slightly thick and backward Police Officer who found redemption by the end. He for me should win best supporting actor at the Oscars.

Harrelson shone as well, this guy gets better and better with age. The ending has got some derision but I agree with Kermode in that is was perfect in that it left it open ended and left the audience to imagine the events after and the decisions they made.

The pieces were not neatly tied together in a bow for the audience and that took a brave call. Carter Burwell's score was magnificent and moody, a great new film composer. It was a tough decision but it did not overall beat Darkest Hour 91 for me but was a very worthy film and gets an 89 out of 100. Better than the Post 86

Agreed, I loved the end. It annoys me that some people need a set ending all tied up, I think watching Hollywood films all your life does this but many independent films or non blockbusters take this route, it is just a snapshot of a period of time and does not always need a neat ending. To me, it left you wondering if they would eventually get their revenge or that getting one person punished was revenge enough.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Agreed, I loved the end. It annoys me that some people need a set ending all tied up, I think watching Hollywood films all your life does this but many independent films or non blockbusters take this route, it is just a snapshot of a period of time and does not always need a neat ending. To me, it left you wondering if they would eventually get their revenge or that getting one person punished was revenge enough.

I agree. I think the ending was very strong. No doubt the audience wanted some sort of justice, the fact it left it in the air showed a real courage of the director and left it open to your own interpretation and imagination. Would they have taken revenge from an unrelated crime ? They were unsure from the start of the journey. Bravo from start to end

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The finale was the only vaguely nuanced part of Billboards. The directors used a battery of bazookas when what they needed was the odd carefully-aimed dart. I reckon they just think audiences are really, really thick.

Interesting. Explain

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri. Lewes Depot. Sold Out. This is a great film. A Wonderful script with some hilarious dark humour. McDiormid is a shue in for the Oscar best actress. Her performance was sublime in a very difficult role. She nailed it. Equally impressive was Rockwell as a slightly thick and backward Police Officer who found redemption by the end. He for me should win best supporting actor at the Oscars.

Harrelson shone as well, this guy gets better and better with age. The ending has got some derision but I agree with Kermode in that is was perfect in that it left it open ended and left the audience to imagine the events after and the decisions they made.

The pieces were not neatly tied together in a bow for the audience and that took a brave call. Carter Burwell's score was magnificent and moody, a great new film composer. It was a tough decision but it did not overall beat Darkest Hour 91 for me but was a very worthy film and gets an 89 out of 100. Better than the Post 86

Nailed it.

Proper cinema, wonderful film. I'm looking forward to a second viewing. The performances are just so rich and enjoyable, much like Fargo (another brilliant performance from McDermond). So many actors on the top of their game. Its just a great film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nailed it.

Proper cinema, wonderful film. I'm looking forward to a second viewing. The performances are just so rich and enjoyable, much like Fargo (another brilliant performance from McDermond). So many actors on the top of their game. Its just a great film.

Fabulous film. For me Rockwell was the stand out. What a fcking perormance from the fella !

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Interesting. Explain

No depth to it. For so much action it's weirdly hollow. I guess you feel entertained in the way you would were you to watch someone repeatedly throw vats of multicoloured paint at a wall. At the end I half expected Mc to emerge, bellow "are you not entertained? It's a plot twist!", then asphyxiate himself and a bloody billboard with a blowtorch

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oscars

Best actor = Gary Oldman, shue in
Best actress = Frances McDiormad, shue in
Best supporting actor = Sam Rockwell
Best supporting actress = Kristen Scott Thomas

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No depth to it. For so much action it's weirdly hollow. I guess you feel entertained in the way you would were you to watch someone repeatedly throw vats of multicoloured paint at a wall. At the end I half expected Mc to emerge, bellow "are you not entertained? It's a plot twist!", then asphyxiate himself and a bloody billboard with a blowtorch

It is an opinion

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don’t go along to a Spielberg film with an anticipation of delight to be experienced or felt, and I was right not to expect it with The Post, but I didn’t think it a dull rotter. It wasn’t delivered wonderfully and extravagantly, but it pottered along with enough to it to keep interest in amongst the fragments of cheese. What it reminded me about was of putting a different level of actor alongside each other, and one demonstrating their depth in the presence of someone without a lot of it. Merely Streep, with seeming ease, slickly goes through the film with feeling, remorse and brave intention, without a script to die for. And with her is Tom Hanks, who isn’t shocking, but entirely flaccid in comparison. Streep makes the film, and I’m glad to see her do it. Spielberg has his usual immaturity to it all, but I thought it ok, mostly, as I mention, for Streep’s abilities.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don’t go along to a Spielberg film with an anticipation of delight to be experienced or felt, and I was right not to expect it with The Post, but I didn’t think it a dull rotter. It wasn’t delivered wonderfully and extravagantly, but it pottered along with enough to it to keep interest in amongst the fragments of cheese. What it reminded me about was of putting a different level of actor alongside each other, and one demonstrating their depth in the presence of someone without a lot of it. Merely Streep, with seeming ease, slickly goes through the film with feeling, remorse and brave intention, without a script to die for. And with her is Tom Hanks, who isn’t shocking, but entirely flaccid in comparison. Streep makes the film, and I’m glad to see her do it. Spielberg has his usual immaturity to it all, but I thought it ok, mostly, as I mention, for Streep’s abilities.

Usual immaturity ? Ok then

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I do like your film reviews MB but I really do not know why you go to the cinema as it seems you hate every single film you ever see. Why put yourself through it ? Really. Maybe do something else that fills your heart a bit more ? Just a thought

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Pompous and critical of everything ever seen. Boring frankly. The worst film critic on here. Dreadful. I like opinions but I pretty much skip through Meades reviews now as I know what he will say before the start

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought Tom Hanks was pretty good and Streep was, well, she was Streep. Not stretched.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I thought Tom Hanks was pretty good and Streep was, well, she was Streep. Not stretched.

It was ok. No decent. Darkest Hour and three billboards were better

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I do like your film reviews MB but I really do not know why you go to the cinema as it seems you hate every single film you ever see. Why put yourself through it ? Really. Maybe do something else that fills your heart a bit more ? Just a thought

:)
Who says I don’t like to feel disappointed.
Really, though, I’ve always loved film, and I don’t need to like more than I dislike in order to feel an attachment to it as an industry. At home, in the wee hours of the morning with my 6 month old sun burped and napping and my partner gently snoozing, i bung on a recorded flick almost in silence and catch 30 minutes of it before readying myself for work. I’m watching a Robert Mitchum western at present and hope to finish it on Tuesday morning. It’s the only time I have for film right now - along with the odd afternoon or evening in which the girlfriend’s sister pops around - but I take it.
I thought The Post was ok.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The thing with MB is he is not really a decent film reviewer. He slates every single film he ever sees especially Hollywood. He despises that. He is a 1 trick pony. If it is from an unknown studio he will be knocking himself out over it. Sorry but I do find him the most boring and predictable film critic on here. I pretty much disregard everything he says as I know what he will say before I read it. Utterly predictable

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Really, though, I’ve always loved film, and I don’t need to like more than I dislike in order to feel an attachment to it as an industry. At home, in the wee hours of the morning with my 6 month old sun burped and napping and my partner gently snoozing, i bung on a recorded flick almost in silence and catch 30 minutes of it before readying myself for work. I’m watching a Robert Mitchum western at present and hope to finish it on Tuesday morning. It’s the only time I have for film right now - along with the odd afternoon or evening in which the girlfriend’s sister pops around - but I take it.

Have you ever liked a film ? Ever ? Don't know why you put yourself through it all. You said Oldman was " just about passable "

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Ok ? WOW that is indeed praise

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
If we look at the films up for an Oscar this year, and compare those to the ones of last year, there seems a stark difference in quality. Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea were great, whilst La La Land was certainly good. I still have some to see of this year’s, but they’ve not stunned, or inventively impressed, or hugely moved, with those I’ve seen thus far. We’ll see, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here