Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
My flight to Florida gave me the opportunity to catch up on some films I missed this year...

Hereditary - really enjoyed this, quite different/unexpected in places.

Leave No Trace - again, really enjoyed - wasn't sure where it was going to go, and thought the acting great in it.

Tag - at this point of the flight, I'd had my fill of serious films, so gave this a whirl. Wasn't expecting much, but found it fun and decent enough. Was never going to win any awards but nevertheless pleased I took a chance with it.

Just got to work out what to watch on my way home!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
As ever, i try to cinema it with the fewest others present. This morning it was a 9.50 showing of the unreviewed Sherlock Holmes comedy, but, whilst me and 2 others sat and waited, the manager came in to say they couldn't fix the projector, and off we went. I scoured through other cinemas and what to see, but nothing was appropriate on a day of televised football and post Christmas tidying. So, there we are.
Ok ok ok i went to see Aquaman on Christmas Eve and, in all honesty, didn't mind it. It was better for, i thought, not taking itself too seriously. Whilst all the DCs tend to have a depressing feel to them, without the banter, and whilst this wasn't laughter-filled, it had a dumbass heroism to it, with Baywatch-style slo-mo's going on, which enabled one to watch, be occasionally lightly thrilled, and walk away. The only occasional message was in polluting the seas, but Aquaman really didn't seem too bothered by that - or helping save a life when he didn't. I was mostly wound up by what they did to a lovely part of Sicily, without thinking. Silly water people.

I might try and sneak to something tomorrow, before flying off to Spain in the evening time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anna and the Apocalypse
Unless I've missed it, it wasn't showing anywhere in Brighton and only appeared to be on twice in Lewes so I popped along to see it at the Depot. Going along there the day after boxing day for an evening showing felt weird. It didn't help that the Depot wasn't particularly busy, giving off a odd air of desolation. Like woolworths after their closing down was confirmed and everyone had been in and bought all the good stuff that was massively discounted. It was my first experience of the Depot, maybe I'll give it another go when there's likely to be a bit more life to it.

As for the film, for those that are unaware, it is a musical zombie comedy. It was clearly influenced quite heavily by Shaun of the Dead (right down to those quickly cut together shots of functional things - car door slam, ignition turn, pedal pressed down, etc. Obviously it didn't come close to being as good as SotD, but it's not a bad thing to aim for when blending genres with a zombie movie. The two most famous actors in it were Paul Kaye and that guy from the nationwide(?) advert who later appeared in Waterloo Road. The younger members of the cast were new to me. They were all fine in their roles. It's not particularly challenging on their acting talents. Their singing was decent, final 8 of x-factor level. The songs were largely enjoyable if throwaway pop. Though one may be joining the list of inappropriate (entendre-laden) christmas songs I enjoy.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Anna and the Apocalypse
Unless I've missed it, it wasn't showing anywhere in Brighton and only appeared to be on twice in Lewes so I popped along to see it at the Depot. Going along there the day after boxing day for an evening showing felt weird. It didn't help that the Depot wasn't particularly busy, giving off a odd air of desolation. Like woolworths after their closing down was confirmed and everyone had been in and bought all the good stuff that was massively discounted. It was my first experience of the Depot, maybe I'll give it another go when there's likely to be a bit more life to it.

As for the film, for those that are unaware, it is a musical zombie comedy. It was clearly influenced quite heavily by Shaun of the Dead (right down to those quickly cut together shots of functional things - car door slam, ignition turn, pedal pressed down, etc. Obviously it didn't come close to being as good as SotD, but it's not a bad thing to aim for when blending genres with a zombie movie. The two most famous actors in it were Paul Kaye and that guy from the nationwide(?) advert who later appeared in Waterloo Road. The younger members of the cast were new to me. They were all fine in their roles. It's not particularly challenging on their acting talents. Their singing was decent, final 8 of x-factor level. The songs were largely enjoyable if throwaway pop. Though one may be joining the list of inappropriate (entendre-laden) christmas songs I enjoy.

The Depot's a great little cinema (usually)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As The BBC announce the end of Film, does this mean that instead of a new thread starting in a few days titled Film 2019 it will need to have a completely different title

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Life in fade, on Netflix, is well worth the watch.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Probably already mentioned on here, I quite enjoyed Bird Box on Netflix. With the success they have had, over 45million views in the first week, presumably there will be a sequel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here