Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not seen Raw but I thought Moonlight was hideously overrated

So.... you use the two films he picked out as brilliant and used them both as derogatory comparisons to Leave No Trace....having only seen one of them.

Sigh.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So.... you use the two films he picked out as brilliant and used them both as derogatory comparisons to Leave No Trace....having only seen one of them.

Sigh.

Correct

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Like football, music, films or whatever. All down to personal taste and opinion.

Have you not learned by now, that if someone else has an opinion, yours is worthless?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Gave the Spider Man Multiverse film a try today, and turned out to be one of the most enjoyable films of the year for me! Loved the animation style, bundles of humour in there, some knowing nods to the endless reboots/retelling of the same old story. There's a small tribute to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in the end titles, and right at the end, a very amusing extra scene - not related to the rest of the film but made us all chuckle in the cinema today.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Gave the Spider Man Multiverse film a try today, and turned out to be one of the most enjoyable films of the year for me! Loved the animation style, bundles of humour in there, some knowing nods to the endless reboots/retelling of the same old story. There's a small tribute to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in the end titles, and right at the end, a very amusing extra scene - not related to the rest of the film but made us all chuckle in the cinema today.

Totally agree. This was so much fun.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The girlfriend, and Meade Jr, are now in Spain for a long Christmas. I flew with them, and then came back to work, but of course my partial plan was to use this spare time to see some flicks. Saying goodbye to Meade Jr was heartbreaking, his little hand waving, with no idea that i would be gone for 12 days before catching sight of him again, but i am in the UK, and escapism can now be used to get over it, and live a temporary full-night's sleep, quiet life. Anywho, the opening film i chose, for its convenience in a cheap Odeon near home, was Sorry To Bother You. Um, it's tricky to write about this film. It was funny enough in places, and frigging weird here and there too. So, enjoyable. But, as i didn't either, the film didn't fully seem to have itself under control. Some of the lunacy didn't tickle, but overall it was a good flick which was strangely relevant whilst darkly comical. The horse people were just funny, and well worth watching to see. I also liked watching a truly humungous line of chas being snorted.

This afternoon i intend to finally get around to seeing Shoplifters. And tomorrow, not sure yet, but something. :)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The girlfriend, and Meade Jr, are now in Spain for a long Christmas. I flew with them, and then came back to work, but of course my partial plan was to use this spare time to see some flicks. Saying goodbye to Meade Jr was heartbreaking, his little hand waving, with no idea that i would be gone for 12 days before catching sight of him again, but i am in the UK, and escapism can now be used to get over it, and live a temporary full-night's sleep, quiet life. Anywho, the opening film i chose, for its convenience in a cheap Odeon near home, was Sorry To Bother You. Um, it's tricky to write about this film. It was funny enough in places, and frigging weird here and there too. So, enjoyable. But, as i didn't either, the film didn't fully seem to have itself under control. Some of the lunacy didn't tickle, but overall it was a good flick which was strangely relevant whilst darkly comical. The horse people were just funny, and well worth watching to see. I also liked watching a truly humungous line of chas being snorted.

This afternoon i intend to finally get around to seeing Shoplifters. And tomorrow, not sure yet, but something. :)

go and see Lizzie and let me know if it was worth it :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello film geeks.

I have a recommendation for you.

I'm a big fan of 'The Rewatchables' podcast.
American media man Bill Simmons re-watches a 'classic' film with a couple of colleagues then podcast their discussion.

I've just listened to their latest offering and it's an absolute blast.

I knew I was in for a good listen when Bill opened with:-

"Con Air is the greatest film ever made" :lol:

As said I whole heartily recommend this listen, but be warned you'll need to have space to watch Con Air in the near future.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/12/18/18146187/con-air-with-bill-simmons-shea-serrano-and-chris-ryan

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Saw a couple last couple of nights. Both very good I thought. Bird box and Bad times at the El Royale. One a horror and one a Tarantinoesque mystery , thriller. Both very good

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Three identical strangers is a superb docu-film, on at the Duke of Yorks at the moment.

Watched it. Very interesting.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
As the year closes, still nothing has got close to Leave No Trace imho.

Stunning. Not surprised it's still 100% on Rotten Toms.

Leave no trace was average imo.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Leave no trace was average imo.

As I said, music/food/fillums/politics.....all about opinion.

hqdefault.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
:)
Nah.
I'd only see that if my only other option was Aquaman, which looks frigging awful. Saying that, the Mary Poppins trailer i saw the other day made me squirm with an almost incurable displeasure.

I'm struggling to cope with all these remakes myself. I thought The Italian Job remake was bad enough but Mary Poppins IS the final straw.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What am I looking forward to this year?
Superhero movies: Black Panther, Avengers Infinity War, Deadpool 2, X-Men New Mutants
Family Films: Fantastic Beasts 2, Incredibles 2, Ready Player One
Musicals: Hello Again (I have no idea if that is out this year - it had film festival and limited release in the states last year) Mary Poppins Returns
Action: The Predator, Tomb Raider
Other: Fighting With My Family, The Happytime Murders

Interesting to look back at this. Xmen New Mutans was bumped to next year. Fantastic Beast 2 and Ready Player One were disappointing. Hello Again still hasn't beeen released over here. Mary Poppins looks quite awful from the trailers, though has got some decent reviews. I'm more apprehensive than looking forward to it. I missed the predator and tomb raider. Fighting with my family isn't out yet. The Happytime Murders turned out to look too mainstream/commercial to let it's dark twisted idea work, so I didn't bother, and the reviews seem to suggest I was justified in skipping it. (and even the director seemed to admit it wasn't what he wanted).

I'm struggling to cope with all these remakes myself. I thought The Italian Job remake was bad enough but Mary Poppins IS the final straw.

Mary Poppins isn't a remake, it's a sequel.

In the last week or so I've caught a few films:

Aquaman
I'm not going to argue that this is a good film in a traditional sense, but I did enjoy myself while watching it. I'm sure if I tried to analyse it there would be plenty to pull it up on, but it just bombards you with stuff: action, story, action, exposition, action, comic bookyness, action. It really leans into it's source material, never trying to make it more realistic or natural. Black Manta has a ridiculously oversized helmet in the comics. Your average superhero film director would slim it down and aim for what the comic designs would look like 'in the real world'. Aquaman just gives us the giant oversized helmet. It was fun.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse
More classically a good film. From the minds of (at least one of) the creators of the lego movie and lego batman, it contains a similar referential humour. From the spider-man introducing himself with references to his accomplishments (largely made up of the action set pieces of previous spider-man movies), and a tongue in cheek throwaway reference to a christmas album (which is now available as an EP from all good digital music stockist). The finale of the film (about a variety of alternate reality spider-characters visiting one main reality - where their peter parker has died just as miles morales is bitten by a spider and developed spider-like abilities) is very psychedelic. This one was also a fun watch.

Bumblebee
I think I convinced myself the first transformers was ok. But before the 5th entry I had long since given up on expecting anything from this franchise. Shifting Michael Bay out of the director's chair, replacing him with someone who wanted to embrace the gen one look of the transformers was a great idea. This was the most fun of all the transformers movies. The gen one look allowed for more understandable action set pieces, the film has a slightly stronger emphasis on the characters of the human characters (and a lot less focus on uncomfortably shot and dressed young women).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting to look back at this. Xmen New Mutans was bumped to next year. Fantastic Beast 2 and Ready Player One were disappointing. Hello Again still hasn't beeen released over here. Mary Poppins looks quite awful from the trailers, though has got some decent reviews. I'm more apprehensive than looking forward to it. I missed the predator and tomb raider. Fighting with my family isn't out yet. The Happytime Murders turned out to look too mainstream/commercial to let it's dark twisted idea work, so I didn't bother, and the reviews seem to suggest I was justified in skipping it. (and even the director seemed to admit it wasn't what he wanted).

Mary Poppins isn't a remake,

Ok, lets call it "Poppin's 2, the Search for More Money ".

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Been playing catch up with the films I didn't get to see first time round in 2018:

The Meg
Giant shark buffoonery. Statham in his element (literally, he's an ex Olympic diver). Very enjoyable. 6/10

MI:Fallout
Very enjoyable revitalising of a tired franchise. Crash, Bang, Wallop! What a video. 8/10

Equaliser 2
Over long. Predictable. Entertaining. 5/10

Hotel Artemis
Dogshit. Bad dialogue. Too many ideas crammed in. Jodie Foster is, as per, a hugely overrated actor and struggles with the terrible script. Production design is creepy, drab and depressing. The first film in a very long time i have turned off before finishing. I lasted 25 mins. 0/10

And I re-watched

Raw.
A cinematic treat. Still one of the best films of the last 5 years. I won't spoil it, just watch the chaos slowly unfold. It's what film was invented for. 9.5/10

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here