Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I returned, after about 3 years, to Monday night football just yesterday - oddly, a new player has joined the set of mature trotters, and it's Sam Spruell, who I recognized, before heading to IMDB to see what he's been in - and between work and matchtime I went to see The Hate U Give. Not bad that. An adult-teen drama whose message is relevant, and take on identity is interesting. Right from the start Starr, played by the excellent Amandla Stenberg, describes the 2 environments she's in, daily, and how she does not quite fit in to either. What then unfolds is an awful event in which each half of her life - family life in the poor area in which she lives, and school life at the rich white school that her parents want her and her siblings to escape the limited chances afforded them via - applies a different kind of pressure. It was quite a moving watch, in spite of its occasional theatricality. As I said, the lead performance was one of depth and vulnerability.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Off to watch Bohemian Rhapsody tonight. Mixed reviews so far.
Saw it on Monday with Mrs Dolphins, at the IMAX in Crawley. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it! Once you get past it not actually being them, the actors acquit themselves really well. It's a fascinating look at their story, abbreviated of course to fit in the running time, and takes things up to Live Aid. Apart from anything, the Live Aid sequence is really impressive from a technical point of view. The early part of the story seems a little rushed/abbreviated/convenient, but that's a minor gripe. Sounded incredible through the sound system used with the IMAX screen there.

Also saw Halloween (2018) this week, which I also really enjoyed, having recently rewatched the original. Had a very similar feel to the original, down to using what looked like the same font for captions, etc.. Had worries that it was going to be a typical modern horror, but had the approach, feel and atmosphere of the 1978 original.

Was going to go to Slaughterhouse Rulez today but decided to forgo this due to the horrible looking crash in Crawley, close to Cineworld. That one will have to wait I think...

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Saw it on Monday with Mrs Dolphins, at the IMAX in Crawley. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it! Once you get past it not actually being them, the actors acquit themselves really well. It's a fascinating look at their story, abbreviated of course to fit in the running time, and takes things up to Live Aid. Apart from anything, the Live Aid sequence is really impressive from a technical point of view. The early part of the story seems a little rushed/abbreviated/convenient, but that's a minor gripe. Sounded incredible through the sound system used with the IMAX screen there.

Also saw Halloween (2018) this week, which I also really enjoyed, having recently rewatched the original. Had a very similar feel to the original, down to using what looked like the same font for captions, etc.. Had worries that it was going to be a typical modern horror, but had the approach, feel and atmosphere of the 1978 original.

Was going to go to Slaughterhouse Rulez today but decided to forgo this due to the horrible looking crash in Crawley, close to Cineworld. That one will have to wait I think...

10/10 best film I’ve seen in ages. Can’t believe how long ago live aid was. Where did that time go.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Venom
I enjoyed this. I even sat through the 20 minutes of end credits + two end credit scenes, one of which was an extended look at the upcoming Into the Spiderverse, which would have been better if there wasn't a full trailer for it before the film.

Halloween
Knowing this was co-written by Danny McBride, I was expecting a bit of humour and crudeness in it, but it was played quite straight and benefits for it.

Slaughterhouse Rulez
Disappointing. When you see Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in the cast list and as producers you start to expect something on a level of Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, but I'm not sure this even got as good as Paul. Things seem like they are there to set something up but nothing comes from it. I was hoping for more.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Jumping in a bit on this thread but just to let you know The Bromley Boys is now available on Sky Box Office and Amazon Video. Would be interested in hearing all your thoughts.... I think!

x

Really enjoyed that. Great sound track through out. Reminded me a bit of out Gilliingham days, and what’s not to like about Martine Mccutcheon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Enjoying a spot of annual leave and finding an afternoon to myself I headed along to the gorgeous Dome Cinema in Worthing. At £5.20 for a weekday showing, £3.50 on Mondays it really does offer such better value than any cinema in Brighton and it’s certainly a lot nicer. Just has the edge on Duke of York’s I’d say, although I love DoY.

Anyhow, I saw Widows. The cinematic remake of the Lynda La Plante penned 80’s miniseries. Directed by Steve McQueen it’s a less harrowing film than his previous such as 12 years a slave. The cast is fantastic and they do justice to an amazing script. This tells the story of a collection of ladies finding themselves widowed after their armed robber husbands are killed.
They need to perform a heist to clear their husband’s debts.
This is way more than a heist movie though, taking in The Mulligans and The Mannings, two corrupt political families fighting over power of Chicago’s 18th district. This goes all the way to the top.

Brilliantly acted, brilliantly written, brilliantly entertaining.
It loses a point because it does get a bit baggy in the 2nd act but don’t let that put you off, it’s an absolute triumph. Oh and a cracking Hans Zimmer score to top it all off.

8.5/10

NB: A special mention to Robert Duvall who gets give a rare (these days) meaty role as a genuinely revolting politician and human, both physically and morally.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Off to watch Peterloo on Sunday...at a few mins short of 3 hours I'll be taking plenty of refreshments and possibly a cushion :moo:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Off to watch Peterloo on Sunday...at a few mins short of 3 hours I'll be taking plenty of refreshments and possibly a cushion :moo:

That's just a short compared to Bertolucci's 1900 which is a mere 5 hours and 17 minutes which I saw at the Odeon when released in the 70s, at least it had an intermission

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is it any good? Got rave reviews.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fancied a bit of brainless entertainment so we went to see the JJ Abrams prouduced Overlord a few nights ago. Named after operation Overlord it follows a squadron of the 101st Airborne being dropped behind enemy lines, their mission being to take out a signal jammer on top of a church and allow safer passage for D-Day air support.

The opening scenes of the air drop and utter chaos of anti aircraft fire, the sheer luck of survival as they drop and hurtle through flack and gunfire are to be fair, absolutely shudderingly violent and shocking.

Then it turns to shit as it does an awkward genre shift and Nazi zombies being created for the 1000 year reich are discovered .

We went in knowing it was a “zombie film” and was hoping for a good and gory romp. It was neither a good war film (except the start) nor a good Zombie film.
It had its moments but it was not funny nor scary. I have seen a couple of one star reviews for this, I would t say it was that bad but it’s best avoided. And a strange time for such a film to come out.

Anyway, I don’t recommend and I give it a poor 3/10.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Went to see Widows. A bit drawn out. Just about worth the watch 6/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here