Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I had the pleasure of seeing Three Billboards last night for the first time (finally). What a film this is. Right up there with Shape of Water for me, albeit in a very different way. And what a battle it’s going to be for the Leading Actress Oscar, with the leading women of both films providing magical performances in totally different ways.

I had a couple of nitpicks with the film, but overall it was totally engrossing from the first moment through to the last, with lots of memorable supporting performances. I loved the way they ended the film too even though I’ve heard it’s contentious, and I found the comedy throughout to be so dark, yet so real, that it gave a true depth to the surroundings and storyline being developed. Highly recommended. And what a year for films so far.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I had the pleasure of seeing Three Billboards last night for the first time (finally). What a film this is. Right up there with Shape of Water for me, albeit in a very different way. And what a battle it’s going to be for the Leading Actress Oscar, with the leading women of both films providing magical performances in totally different ways.

I had a couple of nitpicks with the film, but overall it was totally engrossing from the first moment through to the last, with lots of memorable supporting performances. I loved the way they ended the film too even though I’ve heard it’s contentious, and I found the comedy throughout to be so dark, yet so real, that it gave a true depth to the surroundings and storyline being developed. Highly recommended. And what a year for films so far.

Sally Hawkins was superb. She would just edge it for me with a very difficult role perfectly done with real heart and empathy but Mc Dormand will win, if Hawkins cannot win on home soil in the Bafta's she has no chance in the Oscars's, sadly

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Shape of Water 95
Three Billboards 93
Darkest Hour 91
The Post 84
Phantom Thread 81

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Early start and slither through the slush for the morning (10:30am!) matinee of Lady Bird, directorial debut of Greta Gerwig. Ostensibly it's a coming-of-age movie, of which we've all seen a zillion. But the film is fresh, funny, moving, short. Very very short. It weighs in at just over 90 minutes, but it tells its tale so adeptly that I reckon the director could have shaved at least another 5 minutes off, which would please the early leavers shirley. Saoirse Ronan is superb as Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson, outwardly spiky and assured, with a touching vulnerability and unassuredness always close to the surface. She's in her last year of school, desperately wants to leave Sacramento 'the Midwest of California' for a college place out East, or at least anywhere more than half an hour's drive away. Her relationship with her mom, played sharply by Laurie Metcalf, rings true. Default mode is neither can say anything to the other without the other instantly taking umbrage. They may love each other but they don't necessarily like each other. All this set against the familiar coming-of-age elements which are maybe the movie's weaker aspect. One of the less flashy releases so far this year, but one of the better ones. 8/10

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Early start and slither through the slush for the morning (10:30am!) matinee of Lady Bird, directorial debut of Greta Gerwig. Ostensibly it's a coming-of-age movie, of which we've all seen a zillion. But the film is fresh, funny, moving, short. Very very short. It weighs in at just over 90 minutes, but it tells its tale so adeptly that I reckon the director could have shaved at least another 5 minutes off, which would please the early leavers shirley. Saoirse Ronan is superb as Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson, outwardly spiky and assured, with a touching vulnerability and unassuredness always close to the surface. She's in her last year of school, desperately wants to leave Sacramento 'the Midwest of California' for a college place out East, or at least anywhere more than half an hour's drive away. Her relationship with her mom, played sharply by Laurie Metcalf, rings true. Default mode is neither can say anything to the other without the other instantly taking umbrage. They may love each other but they don't necessarily like each other. All this set against the familiar coming-of-age elements which are maybe the movie's weaker aspect. One of the less flashy releases so far this year, but one of the better ones. 8/10

Having seen the trailer several times I've lost interest in seeing Lady Bird. Haven't been to the cinema that early since the days of Saturday morning pictures

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oscars 2018 predictions

Best Actor - Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
Best Actress - Francis McDormand - Three Billboards
Best Supporting actress - Allison Janney - I Tonya
Best Supporting actor - Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards
Best Director - Guillermo Del Toro - The shape of water
Best Film - The shape of water
Best Cinematography - Dunkirk
Best Musical Score - The shape of water
Best Make Up - Darkest Hour
Best Special Effects - Bladerunner 2049
Best Costume Design - Phantom Thread

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Life don't get much better than this:-

[tweet]968457608272150528[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Having seen the trailer several times I've lost interest in seeing Lady Bird. Haven't been to the cinema that early since the days of Saturday morning pictures

Saw the trailer and thought " Spoilt Brat " .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saw the trailer and thought " Spoilt Brat " .

when she threw herself out of the car, it looks decent to be fair. I will probably see it

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Barring Olldman who should win every award going it is between three billboards and the shape of water for the Oscars. These are the 2 absolute stand outs for me. Hard to compare, both magnificent in different ways

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Post, Ready Player One, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Bumblebee... There are more Steve Spielberg films coming out this year than Marvel Studios films!

I suppose the question becomes... Are there too many Spielberg films these days? :lolol: :wink:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ah! I wouldn't rightly know about that (load of bottox) sir ....... I'll get me coat

Seriously, all I'd say is that if you genuinely believe that Saoirse Ronan is a great actress, then go see the film. You won't even think that you're watching an actress, you'll be convinced you're watching a stroppy yet vulnerable 17 year old schoolkid. It's an amazing performance.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Got round to seeing Darkest Hour. Meh. Give the Oscar to the make up department, anyone could have done four hours of prosthetics and done it. I like Oldman, some astonishing performances. This wasn't one of them. It was okay.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got round to seeing Darkest Hour. Meh. Give the Oscar to the make up department, anyone could have done four hours of prosthetics and done it. I like Oldman, some astonishing performances. This wasn't one of them. It was okay.

Agree with your sentiments. All to easy to heap praise on great actors making a good fist of an important historical thing. I'm thinking Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, Gary Oldman. But in all those cases, it relies a great actor to bring extra resonance to an historical event. With or without prosthetics.

Big vote here for the small quiet film with astonishingly good performances without a major assist from a major historical event.

And not a Spielberg-by-numbers or some Marvel Comics schlock in sight.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Seriously, all I'd say is that if you genuinely believe that Saoirse Ronan is a great actress, then go see the film. You won't even think that you're watching an actress, you'll be convinced you're watching a stroppy yet vulnerable 17 year old schoolkid. It's an amazing performance.

OK, persuaded, going tomorrow
:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here