Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not yet but it's getting good feedback from the public. Critics don't seem keen but 'twas ever thus.

Holding firm with 80% in imdb and rotten tomatoes Kermode loved it. It is Spielberg's best film for a long while imo and took 181 000 000 dollars over the first weekend so seems to have gone down well. Rylance was great.Loved him in as a wig being a 20 year old geek. It didnt matter

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I loved Ready Player One and I went in there expecting it to be overrated. I just didn't think it could live up to the hype but it was incredible and for me, it felt a bit personal. I find it very easy to relate to a character falling in love with an avatar character and with characters who only feel really alive and free through being online. I think it's a very fair and reflective view on the modern world and a realistic look into how it could continue to descend into a less social and interactive society in favour of being permanently online and barely having to exist in the real world at all. 9/10 for me, comfortably. I'm not sure where it sits in relation to Three Billboards and Shape of Water, my current top two, but there's at least one or two further viewings to come.

I saw Isle of Dogs tonight and that's absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Moments of fine comedy, drama and an actual story and emotional depth. Very enjoyable film.

I'm up to 31 films for the year now, but there are a lot of films out at the moment I'll be taking in to boost that number by the end of April.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is very decent

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I loved Ready Player One and I went in there expecting it to be overrated. I just didn't think it could live up to the hype but it was incredible and for me, it felt a bit personal. I find it very easy to relate to a character falling in love with an avatar character and with characters who only feel really alive and free through being online. I think it's a very fair and reflective view on the modern world and a realistic look into how it could continue to descend into a less social and interactive society in favour of being permanently online and barely having to exist in the real world at all. 9/10 for me, comfortably. I'm not sure where it sits in relation to Three Billboards and Shape of Water, my current top two, but there's at least one or two further viewings to come.

I saw Isle of Dogs tonight and that's absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Moments of fine comedy, drama and an actual story and emotional depth. Very enjoyable film.

I'm up to 31 films for the year now, but there are a lot of films out at the moment I'll be taking in to boost that number by the end of April.

These are the best 3 of the year for me. All stand outs. Ready Player One was fabulous but it did not beat the shape of water that was extraordinary and the best film for many years

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
RP1 didn't really click for me on any significant level. I mean I enjoyed it enough while watching it, but have no intention of buying a copy on blu ray or digital or whatever, and wonder if, come the end of the year, I will remember I watched it all (I do see a lot of films over the year, so often forget I've seen some when I look back at my yearly list).

I recently watched pacific rim uprising. Eh. I think the best I can say about it is that it is better than Transformers. There are so many logic gaps, so many 'this is what happened in the last film' exposition scenes, that I am distracted by the time the giant robots punch the giant monsters.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Really enjoyed Ready Player One - good cast, decent enough script, action was clear (none of that Transformers crashy bangy fight scene nonsense where you can't make out who is attacking who). Loved Rylance channelling Professor Denzil Dexter in his scenes, and as someone with a port wine birthmark, glad to see a leading character with a similar thing. (Saw one online article referring to it as a hideous facial disfigurement, which is extremely harsh...)

Saw it on the IMAX screen at Crawley - hugely impressive and loudest I've heard a film there on that screen.

Not sure much scope for a sequel, but if the money is right I guess... Away at the weekend but the flights have got some great films; might start with I, Tonya, then follow with The Florida Project - both films I missed.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Ready player one looks interesting, but does it suffer from the usual Spielberg flaws of schmaltz and general flabbyness?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Shape of Water 97
Three Billboards 93
Ready Player One 93
Darkest Hour 89
The Post 83
Finding your Feet 82
Film stars dont' die in Liverpool 82 * - good film, Bell was good and Bening wonderful
Phantom Thread 80
My Generation 74

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We saw the stop-motion animated film Isle of Dogs today. (Nowt to do with Millwall's original Den!)

I'd rate it at 7/10. Has a very relaxed pace, which was almost soporific to a tired Dad.

This was an absolute shocker for me... the warm and dark cinema was the only comfort.

3/10

Ready Player One this evening...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Annette Bening was absolutely wonderful and beguiling in Film Stars, holding every scene, a tour de force, great, great actress

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A quiet place with the fabulous Emily Blunt looks decent

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This was an absolute shocker for me... the warm and dark cinema was the only comfort.

3/10

Ready Player One this evening...

Why is this ? Fancied this

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It just didn't engage me in any way. A few funny cameo joke moments, but not much. My 20- something boys enjoyed it without being overly excited either.

I think ready player one will please you. Spielberg did not like to reference his classics but the Duel truck made an appearance

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Watched Ready Player One last night. Thought it was brilliant and a few extra hidden easter eggs in there which only the geekiest might spot. Cheesy as, but if ever there were films that lend thernselves perfectly to watching in 3d, this was one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here