Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Custody was the film I wanted to see, and what a tense 90 minutes that was. It opens with the custody case, with the mother claiming volatility in the home and being under threat, whilst the son, in writing, confirms that he has no desire to see his father. The father, a beefy chap, argues, with his rather aggressive lawyer, that the mother is making things up and has probably coerced the child into making such statements. You're very much believing the mother, but there is a still an element of the undecided as you wonder if the film will be taking a different angle. But no, once the decisions come of joint custody, the nasty elements of the father's beastly ways unfold. Not all of it was convincing, but the feeling of this gorilla-ish fellow dominates the film, and the space around anyone he is near.
It was a well-made drama, and well-acted, and a scene where the daughter has a party is really well done with the increasing tension expertly formed. I had hoped for relief on departure, but I didn't really feel it. I did think through my role as a father though, and how, whilst nothing like this monster, to maintain as much decency for Meade Jr as possible, and remember that all you try to conceal can't be hidden from those around you. There's always an air to the person you are. Anyway, good French film.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Deadpool 2 today, at Crawley IMAX. Really enjoyed it, lots of typical humour, some good cameos at various points, lots of blood and violence... It's obviously not the most intellectual of movies, but that's not what it is trying to be.

Oh and for those who are going to see it, there are just two credit sequences, which follow on quickly from one another. Don't bother sitting through the hefty titles to see if there's anything at the very end... there ain't!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Saw Avengers: Infinity war today. One of the better efforts from the MCU. It's long but didn't sag too much, handles the huge cast of superheroes well, has some good comedy moments and despite having seen most of the other Marvel films I think it would have been a good watch even if you knew little about the characters and their history. Which is good because it turns out I'd forgotten loads of stuff.

SPOILER coming up:

The one thing that annoyed me(more than it perhaps should) was that with half the universe dying they killed off a number of good characters and let the most boring, irritating, dull, sanctimonious superhero ever created (Captain America) live. Why? WHY?!!! Why didn't they take the golden opportunity of killing the dullard off? The idiots.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I see Lars Von Trier has fcked up Cannes again with his new film " the house that jack built " mass walkouts. No doubt it is meant as some sort of statement that violence is bad whilst revelling in it, he has done some good films but smacks now of just trying to be controversial, and the cutting of the ducklings legs off ? no. Matt Dillon is a very good actor though and probably deserved better than the roles he has had https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYF2tfdD1fA

Last edited:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Saw Avengers: Infinity war today. One of the better efforts from the MCU. It's long but didn't sag too much, handles the huge cast of superheroes well, has some good comedy moments and despite having seen most of the other Marvel films I think it would have been a good watch even if you knew little about the characters and their history. Which is good because it turns out I'd forgotten loads of stuff.

SPOILER coming up:

The one thing that annoyed me(more than it perhaps should) was that with half the universe dying they killed off a number of good characters and let the most boring, irritating, dull, sanctimonious superhero ever created (Captain America) live. Why? WHY?!!! Why didn't they take the golden opportunity of killing the dullard off? The idiots.

SPOLIER reply...

It might have escaped your notice but a dusty "end" only seemed to befall characters that we know feature in upcoming Marvel movies; Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Star Lord. Those that remain however are rumoured to be at the end of their Marvel contracts. It's a shame that the real world Hollywood machine rather destroys the mystery of what's on screen.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Deadpool 2 - I liked this more than the first one, mainly due to the fact I felt for the characters and their relationship with one another a little more. This left me able to enjoy people getting stabbed, slashed, shot to bits, decapitated, electrocuted, liquidised, dismembered and puked to death to the full. Some great gags and comic book movie in-jokes with the best coming during the credits.

8/10

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just back from seeing Solo.

Whilst being ok, it’s the weakest Star Wars film if you wipe episodes 1,2,3 from memory.

The Falcon parts were good, but the story was pretty poor.

They left it open enough for a third spin off as well.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to the midnight opening of Solo, and I think I agree with KG, and I'm not sure there'd be much of an argument from the rest of the people at the midnight showing. There were lines that I could tell were meant to be funny, but no one laughed.

It felt to me like there was a better story on the periphery of the one we were being told, and that the more interesting characters were the ones we spent least time with. I think one of the flaws is putting so much emphasis/motivation in the Han/Qi'ra relationship - I get that in real life we have a string of relationships over our life times and can be equally happy and comitted in each successive relationship, but in fiction there is this idea of perfect couples, destiny, and in Star Wars, Han and Leia are each others' destiny. (It also didn't help that Alden Ehrenreich is no Harrison Ford and Emilia Clarke is well... Emilia Clarke).

It tried to be a little too cute with references (such as trying to 'explain' Han's surname). There's also a 'surprise' that if you're not a massive fan of star wars, could well leave you confused about timelines and what age Han would then be when he first meets Luke (I'm a big fan and I was a little confused by it, though again, it was a midnight showing so I was a little tired).

Overall, it was a typical fine action movie from Ron Howard, but not a great Star Wars movie, not a patch on the recent 3 (I loved all three of the recent ones).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I saw Solo today, and have a slightly better view on the film than the 2 posts above.

The one thing that holds the film back is that in scenes where Hans is in danger you know he wont be beaten as its a prequel and we all know what he goes on to do in the Star Wars series. There was also more than a nod towards Westerns, with the train sequence and the squaring off with itchy fingers waiting to draw guns between two fractions.

The film did fail my standard approach as to whether it was a really good film, as I started to get uncomfortable in my seat, a solid 6 out of 10, worth watching but not a must see

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I went to the midnight opening of Solo, and I think I agree with KG, and I'm not sure there'd be much of an argument from the rest of the people at the midnight showing. There were lines that I could tell were meant to be funny, but no one laughed.

It felt to me like there was a better story on the periphery of the one we were being told, and that the more interesting characters were the ones we spent least time with. I think one of the flaws is putting so much emphasis/motivation in the Han/Qi'ra relationship - I get that in real life we have a string of relationships over our life times and can be equally happy and comitted in each successive relationship, but in fiction there is this idea of perfect couples, destiny, and in Star Wars, Han and Leia are each others' destiny. (It also didn't help that Alden Ehrenreich is no Harrison Ford and Emilia Clarke is well... Emilia Clarke).

It tried to be a little too cute with references (such as trying to 'explain' Han's surname). There's also a 'surprise' that if you're not a massive fan of star wars, could well leave you confused about timelines and what age Han would then be when he first meets Luke (I'm a big fan and I was a little confused by it, though again, it was a midnight showing so I was a little tired).

Overall, it was a typical fine action movie from Ron Howard, but not a great Star Wars movie, not a patch on the recent 3 (I loved all three of the recent ones).

You mean hot as f**k?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No, I meant bland and forgettable. But if you like her, maybe you'll enjoy the film or her part in it more than I did

I saw it today. I didn’t think she was anymore forgettable anyone else. Overall, it’s a very average film though, without any particularly exciting performances or a compelling story. She did looks very good in it mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not 2018, but Sing Street is on Film 4 at 9.

If you're of an age, approaching 50, this film really is must watch feel good fun.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
/\

Honest to god, set your videos if need be, thank me later.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just seen jurassic world the fallen kingdom and I have to say for a summer popcorn film it was far better in every single department. Solo left me cold this made me thrilled. Very decent effort imo. 88 out of 100

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saw deadpool 2 recently. It was funny and violent like the first film, but the humour and violence seemed less... substantial, seemed hollow? It felt like they were copying the format of the first with regard to violence and humour, but not the spirit and the reasoning behind it. So it was good, but not as good as the first.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So.

Never consciously set out to be a Saoirse Ronan fanboy, but had her marked out as a personal special talent ever since the The Lovely Bones in 2009. She's only 24, and already has a hugely impressive CV under her belt. And hot on the heels of her Oscar-nominated performance in Ladybird comes On Chesil Beach, an altogether different movie, yet in many ways the same movie. This time she's Florence Ponting, middle-middle-class classical-music-loving mildly-rebellious newlywed, newly-bethrothed to lower-middle-class jazz-loving mildly-rebellious Edward Mayhew, ably-played by Billy Howle. It's 1962. They've been married a couple of hours, they're booked into a posh/grotty flock-wallpaper hotel on Chesil Beach in Dorset. Bit by bit, we're filled in on their back stories, lovingly set against a backdrop of flint cottages and pebble beaches, village cricket and ungifted amateur tennis.It's beautifully directed by Dominic Cooke, and ever so easy to fully immerse yourself in. But based on a novella of the same name by Ian McEwan, it has to tell a specific story. So the ending gets somewhat-clumsily, yet still movingly shoe-horned in. Overall, t's a beautiful piece of work that you'll take away with you and sit in the corner and think about what you've seen for quite some time. And Saoirse Ronan? Our Greatest Living 24 Year Old Actress by about a hundred country miles. 8/10

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
So.

Never consciously set out to be a Saoirse Ronan fanboy, but had her marked out as a personal special talent ever since the The Lovely Bones in 2009. She's only 24, and already has a hugely impressive CV under her belt. And hot on the heels of her Oscar-nominated performance in Ladybird comes On Chesil Beach, an altogether different movie, yet in many ways the same movie. This time she's Florence Ponting, middle-middle-class classical-music-loving mildly-rebellious newlywed, newly-bethrothed to lower-middle-class jazz-loving mildly-rebellious Edward Mayhew, ably-played by Billy Howle. It's 1962. They've been married a couple of hours, they're booked into a posh/grotty flock-wallpaper hotel on Chesil Beach in Dorset. Bit by bit, we're filled in on their back stories, lovingly set against a backdrop of flint cottages and pebble beaches, village cricket and ungifted amateur tennis.It's beautifully directed by Dominic Cooke, and ever so easy to fully immerse yourself in. But based on a novella of the same name by Ian McEwan, it has to tell a specific story. So the ending gets somewhat-clumsily, yet still movingly shoe-horned in. Overall, t's a beautiful piece of work that you'll take away with you and sit in the corner and think about what you've seen for quite some time. And Saoirse Ronan? Our Greatest Living 24 Year Old Actress by about a hundred country miles. 8/10

haven't got round to seeing that yet, but have never seen her in a duff film

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
haven't got round to seeing that yet, but have never seen her in a duff film

Then you're in luck mate, Anne-Marie Duff plays her mother-in-law :lolol:

Seriously tho, it's a, er, SERIOUSLY sweet film but it's only on at the DoY til Thursday. Look lively - and report back! :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here