Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone seen Coco ? I am not a big animation film fan but heard this is very good. 8.6 average and 49th greatest film of all time on imdb. Worth a watch ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oscars 2018. My opinions. Any views ?

Best actor- Oldman, Darkest Hour, Best actress - McDiormad, Three Billboards, Best supporting actor - Rockwell, Three Billboards, Best Film - Three Billboards, Best score - Carter Burwell, Three Billboards, Best Costume, Victoria and Abdul, Best make up, Darkest Hour, Best cinematography, Dunkirk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Black Panther
Generally, I liked it. It didn't feel as action-packed as recent Marvel efforts. It doesn't follow the lightness of Spider-Man Homecoming, or the humour of Thor Ragnorak. There is a lot more focus put on the story than in your average marvel film, so I don't know if it was as 'fun'. There is is also the problem that the main character T'challa is not especially interesting. His thread of the story is predictable, and as one review I read so eloquently explained, has no flaws, no real defined motivation. But I enjoyed Andy Serkis as Klaue so much more than when he was in Age of Ultron. Danai Gurira was great. I'm not sure if Letitia Wright was annoying as the genius younger sister, or fun. Perhaps a bit of both. Forest Whitaker was... well he was Forest Whitaker, which is always good. Michael B Jordan as a villain is clearly defined with motivation and back story, and I've yet to see him in something where he isn't good (though his character feels too real to be top line villain like a Loki), Winston Duke turns out to be quite fun (when we first meet him, he is simply an angry strong man, but when he reappears he gets to show another side).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone seen Coco ? I am not a big animation film fan but heard this is very good. 8.6 average and 49th greatest film of all time on imdb. Worth a watch ?

Hi.

I took my daughter to see Coco today.

It's a very good movie, with an original story line and a poignant ending (a bit like Up). Even as a grown up, I really enjoyed it.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Watched recently;
Darkest Hour, fantastic.
Jumanji, was worried it would ruin the first one but really enjoyed it.
Fifty Shades Darker, crap.
Fargo, due to reviews on here. Excellent. I've seen the series and Remy liked the film and the series.

Sorry the reviews aren't extensive.:lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
2 Im looking forward to.

Deadpool 2

Pacific Rim Uprising.

Both original films were way better than I expected.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Off to see Black Panther later today...understand that there are (just) two additional scenes mid/post credit. Would anyone who has already seen it, say these are worth hanging around for? It's a Marvel film so presume there is some point to the additional scenes, but will have the missus and kids in tow so they might be hassling to go once the credits start rolling!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone else sick and tired of all these superhero and marvel films now ? It must be 20% of the annual movies on release. They are ALL the same !!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone else sick and tired of all these superhero and marvel films now ? It must be 20% of the annual movies on release. They are ALL the same !!

Yep. The last Superhero film I went to see was one of the Nolan Batman ones. Seen a few on Netflix and they are all rubbish.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yep. The last Superhero film I went to see was one of the Nolan Batman ones. Seen a few on Netflix and they are all rubbish.

We agree. It is a total lack of originality and dull. Seen one, seen them all

Wonder Woman was decent. Probably my favourite of this genre

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Black Panther - Saw this yesterday with expectations high but I have to say I found it utterly boring. The characters are dull, the action scenes are generic and the humour forced in what I found to be a very odd addition to the admittedly rather bloated Marvel movie universe.

I was disappointed to see yet another high-tech super suit transformation (after Spider-Man: Homecoming especially) with the back story hinting at a different, more natural origin for Black Panther and his power. The little sister/Q Bond-like scene was particularly dull.

I have to say this was a slightly uncomfortable watch with the audience I saw it with (a fairly typical mixed half-term crowd) with a few laughs from some at scenes I really don't think were meant to be funny. I was just relieved to know that this is a film already celebrated for redressing the balance in Hollywood and not some misjudged fodder made by Michael Bay or whoever.

As for the after credits scenes, they were hardly worth extending what I considered one loooooooong and tedious visit to the cinema.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I can't stand cynical film making and I think Marvel are a money making machine that have given up bothering with originality or quality as they know nea my everything they do, as long as they stick to a formulae, will make money and if it doesn't? Well There's a hundred others that will make up the shortfall!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

I'm with you there. They have been scraping the barrel for comicbook characters for a while now - from what I remember as a collector in my younger days, comics like Ant Man and Black Panther, and Ghost Rider too, were pretty trashy reads. As ever, though, the industry has found its moneymaking formula, and they'll stick to it, in this case perhaps endlessly.
I find the odd series on Netflix not too bad though. It seems i'll binge on them, but in the cinema I want a bit more. Or not quite such repetitive noise.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I can't stand cynical film making and I think Marvel are a money making machine that have given up bothering with originality or quality as they know nea my everything they do, as long as they stick to a formulae, will make money and if it doesn't? Well There's a hundred others that will make up the shortfall!

Now, I didn't see the latest Thor, and I sort of want to. The reason is for the director. I wonder if within the Marvel universe they may realise they are running out of steam, and need to introduce slightly different styles. One of the 18 Wolverine films was future set and gruesome, and a little bit better than some of the others. Maybe what I am really saying is when will we therefore have Green Lantern directed by Asghar Farhadi, or a Bergman-esque Swamp Thing?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Now, I didn't see the latest Thor, and I sort of want to. The reason is for the director. I wonder if within the Marvel universe they may realise they are running out of steam, and need to introduce slightly different styles. One of the 18 Wolverine films was future set and gruesome, and a little bit better than some of the others. Maybe what I am really saying is when will we therefore have Green Lantern directed by Asghar Farhadi, or a Bergman-esque Swamp Thing?

Werner Herzog's Too Much Coffee Man?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

That and deadpool, I haven't really watched many since Xmen 2 which was tedious, Guardians of the Galaxy an exception but its now a genre I tend to avoid.

The thing is there is so much more sci=fi on the syfy channel and netflix that cinema duds are easier to avoid.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I am clearly in the minority. I still get great pleasure from them. For me, going to the cinema is a chance to escape, to dream, to hope. These films offer that for me. But I love a wide range of cinema and if I don’t enjoy a genre (not really a “horror” film fan, for example), then I just stay away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here