Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have you seen it as you agreed with his post ? I do sort of take it personally when someone says something I loved was inane drivel. I am genuinely ashamed with loving the film, it is certainly something I would not publicise now

I am so glad I don't suffer from that affliction. I like so many films that for large parts of my life have been considered terrible (though some are getting a bit more love these days - Grease 2, Howard the Duck, Hudson Hawk seem to be having more people speaking out in their favour) that I'd probably never leave the house.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
If anybody missed it first time around, I have just seen battlefield earth. A magical combination of religion and science fiction, with Spielberg overtones. Possibly the best film ever made, I rate it a solid 98.7634921. If it had a few musical numbers and some flying bicycles it would have been a 99.874621.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If anybody missed it first time around, I have just seen battlefield earth. A magical combination of religion and science fiction, with Spielberg overtones. Possibly the best film ever made, I rate it a solid 98.7634921. If it had a few musical numbers and some flying bicycles it would have been a 99.874621.

Don't give up the day job

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I look at each film individually, an whilst I do read views on here and reliable sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, I watch the film in question with an open mind.

In my opinion, recent offerings of Three Billboards and Journey's End are truly magnificent, whereas La La Land was absolutely dreadful.

All down to taste.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I look at each film individually, an whilst I do read views on here and reliable sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, I watch the film in question with an open mind.

In my opinion, recent offerings of Three Billboards and Journey's End are truly magnificent, whereas La La Land was absolutely dreadful.

All down to taste.

Obviously it was

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have you seen it as you agreed with his post ? I do sort of take it personally when someone says something I loved was inane drivel. I am genuinely ashamed with loving the film, it is certainly something I would not publicise now

Uncle, nothing personal, it's just really not my kind of film, well at least the first 21 minutes. " My fathers mansion has many rooms " ie, we are all different and that's ok.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Without buying in to the L Ron Hubbard scientology thing, I thought the book Battlefield Earth was brilliant, not seen the film although its meant to be awful

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I know that I can be guilty of talking more of my journey to a film than the film itself, and I know that it probably matters to few or none of whether it is more a snippet of my life than opinion, but it feels a bit like this tale should be told. The conclusion is that I bought 2 tickets to see The Shape of Water today.
Now, originally I was to see it on the way home from work today, but a happening occurred that brought about a change of plan. And a painful one at that. At work at present, I am on watch over two things - being late too many times in 3 months, and being off sick for too many days in the past 12 months. The deal is that I can be late 3 times and sick for 3 days of the next 3 months...or else. Of a morning I awaken at roughly 5am for a burping spell with Meade Jr, and am sort of up from then on, watching a bit of a film or a Countdown repeat on mute - this morning I found it rather funny silently watching the curling, with little idea whether the subtitles were misspelt at all, or what was really going on.

I set off to work yesterday, eventually, in rather a hurry, whilst wanting to not cycle the direct route to work so that I can eat more of the snacks on offer when there. I raced down a hill moments from home, turned too quickly atop a layer of frost, and out from under me the bike flew, with myself dramatically pounding on the slippery tarmac. There wasn’t a single soul around to evilly chuckle or rush to rescue me, so I brought myself to my feet, with the desperate thought of not being late, reattached the chain to the bike, and went on my way. I feel the grazes on my right knee and elbow as I went, but it was the left wrist that swelled continuously, and by the time I was halfway there, after 25 minutes, I could only cycle with one hand. Ouchy.

At lunchtime I agreed to go to a pharmacist, for whom the conversation with was a bit strange. I held up my shaky hand, and said: I flew off of my bike this morning and hit my hand. She replied: you were bitten by a fly on the hand?
Um no.
She sold me some ibuprofen gel in the end.

Through the night the hand grew more bulbous. I’ve been up since 4-ish with a throbbing pain. This morning, I went to the gp, whose surgery I had crashed right next to yesterday, and off to the hospital for the day I went for an x-ray, and a blood test suggested a while ago. All was fine enough - just muscular strains, and no breakage - but this meant I wasn’t to travel far for the ticket I already for the film. Instead, I thought about going more locally, so I did, into a cinema I’d not been in before: Arthouse Cinema, in Crouch End.

The possible reason for me saying this leads to the mindset I may have had whilst watching the film. There was tiredness, and a modicum of satisfaction that the painkillers had begun to work a bit. And the purchase of a bourneville dark to keep me going, with modest thoughts on the favourite chocolate thread here from the day before. My view, in this condition, of the film, was that it was good, yes, but that the mixture of fantasy and reality felt a bit similar to that of Pan’s Labyrinth, yet not as striking. In the latter film was a child needing to disappear from the nefarious elements of falangist Spain, with reality increasingly terrifying. Whilst in this the setting is Cold War America with its stern judgements on anything not white, male and conservatively normal. I didn’t feel that the formula felt fresh, natural.
Anywho, as US says it’s probably best not to analyse too greatly. But Michael Shannon’s awfulness didn’t match that of Sergi Lopez.
The film was good, and oddly sexually macabre, and well acted - Hawkins was good as the mute Elisa, and I do like a bit of Richard Jenkins, as well as Octavia Spencer, who were both quite amusing. I didn’t feel the music always fitted, but the odes to musicals and that rhythm went well. I felt the scene before the end itself a bit cringeworthy, but the end part itself quite sweet. Yeah it was good, but, and as I say I throbbed elsewhere to where the film perhaps wished me to, didn’t blend perfectly to make it all fit for me. Well worth a watch, of course.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I know that I can be guilty of talking more of my journey to a film than the film itself, and I know that it probably matters to few or none of whether it is more a snippet of my life than opinion, but it feels a bit like this tale should be told. The conclusion is that I bought 2 tickets to see The Shape of Water today.
Now, originally I was to see it on the way home from work today, but a happening occurred that brought about a change of plan. And a painful one at that. At work at present, I am on watch over two things - being late too many times in 3 months, and being off sick for too many days in the past 12 months. The deal is that I can be late 3 times and sick for 3 days of the next 3 months...or else. Of a morning I awaken at roughly 5am for a burping spell with Meade Jr, and am sort of up from then on, watching a bit of a film or a Countdown repeat on mute - this morning I found it rather funny silently watching the curling, with little idea whether the subtitles were misspelt at all, or what was really going on.

I set off to work yesterday, eventually, in rather a hurry, whilst wanting to not cycle the direct route to work so that I can eat more of the snacks on offer when there. I raced down a hill moments from home, turned too quickly atop a layer of frost, and out from under me the bike flew, with myself dramatically pounding on the slippery tarmac. There wasn’t a single soul around to evilly chuckle or rush to rescue me, so I brought myself to my feet, with the desperate thought of not being late, reattached the chain to the bike, and went on my way. I feel the grazes on my right knee and elbow as I went, but it was the left wrist that swelled continuously, and by the time I was halfway there, after 25 minutes, I could only cycle with one hand. Ouchy.

At lunchtime I agreed to go to a pharmacist, for whom the conversation with was a bit strange. I held up my shaky hand, and said: I flew off of my bike this morning and hit my hand. She replied: you were bitten by a fly on the hand?
Um no.
She sold me some ibuprofen gel in the end.

Through the night the hand grew more bulbous. I’ve been up since 4-ish with a throbbing pain. This morning, I went to the gp, whose surgery I had crashed right next to yesterday, and off to the hospital for the day I went for an x-ray, and a blood test suggested a while ago. All was fine enough - just muscular strains, and no breakage - but this meant I wasn’t to travel far for the ticket I already for the film. Instead, I thought about going more locally, so I did, into a cinema I’d not been in before: Arthouse Cinema, in Crouch End.

The possible reason for me saying this leads to the mindset I may have had whilst watching the film. There was tiredness, and a modicum of satisfaction that the painkillers had begun to work a bit. And the purchase of a bourneville dark to keep me going, with modest thoughts on the favourite chocolate thread here from the day before. My view, in this condition, of the film, was that it was good, yes, but that the mixture of fantasy and reality felt a bit similar to that of Pan’s Labyrinth, yet not as striking. In the latter film was a child needing to disappear from the nefarious elements of falangist Spain, with reality increasingly terrifying. Whilst in this the setting is Cold War America with its stern judgements on anything not white, male and conservatively normal. I didn’t feel that the formula felt fresh, natural.
Anywho, as US says it’s probably best not to analyse too greatly. But Michael Shannon’s awfulness didn’t match that of Sergi Lopez.
The film was good, and oddly sexually macabre, and well acted - Hawkins was good as the mute Elisa, and I do like a bit of Richard Jenkins, as well as Octavia Spencer, who were both quite amusing. I didn’t feel the music always fitted, but the odes to musicals and that rhythm went well. I felt the scene before the end itself a bit cringeworthy, but the end part itself quite sweet. Yeah it was good, but, and as I say I throbbed elsewhere to where the film perhaps wished me to, didn’t blend perfectly to make it all fit for me. Well worth a watch, of course.

Feel better soon please. Smashing review

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I am also sure there will be hoardes of people rushing to tell me the shape of water is a load of bllocks soon as well, the backlash for that film is already in full force as well

I loved La La Land and I’m just back from Shape of Water, which was by some distance my favourite film of this year so far.

I didn’t care for Dunkirk at all though, which you raved about. So I guess it’s all about opinions.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Florida Project.....quality....felt more like a docu than a film....good performances.

I saw this this evening - brilliant brilliant. Of the Oscar nods I've so far seen Molly's Game (great fun) and 3 Billboards (meh) but I am at a loss to find anything in this film that didn't work. Faultless.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I am also sure there will be hoardes of people rushing to tell me the shape of water is a load of bllocks soon as well, the backlash for that film is already in full force as well

I guess some films don't stand the test of time, maybe. I still love Desperately Seeking Susan :blush: .....
I was crazy about Twin Peaks when it first came out and I have the box set of DVDs, last night I watched 2 episodes and thought 'Christ, what a load of shite'

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So I saw Black Panther today. Unlike the other reviews so far, I thought it was excellent albeit much less light hearted than most Marvel films. I thought they asked interesting questions about war, about helping your fellow man etc. I thought the acting was generally very good and the villain was well realised in that he felt real and based in something logical. In fact, it was the main character who I felt was the most bland, although they took a different approach with him for an origin story, in that he actually wanted to keep the status quo for much of the film.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Went to see Wes Anderson’s “Rushmore “ earlier in the week. I know it’s not new but it was bloody brilliant.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Without buying in to the L Ron Hubbard scientology thing, I thought the book Battlefield Earth was brilliant, not seen the film although its meant to be awful

Its not as bad as it was slammed by critics, a kind of reverse TLJ. Not much character development and various absurdities like training a load of primitive types to fly harrier jump jets in a few hours but it is watchable, Forrest Wittiker and Travolter carry it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw The Phantom Thread tonight, Daniel Day-Lewis's alleged final film. Nothing really happens much but what does happen happens with such style. I don't think DD-L is going out with an Oscar but he gives an amazing performance. It is understated and has some sublime moments of humour and black comedy and tension.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched a film called 'Bomb City' tonight, absolutely brilliant.
First 20 minutes kept me glued, starting to tail off for the following 20 minutes but the build up and intensity of the ending is better than anything I've seen this year. 9/10

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here