Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 54552535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Film 2018

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Izbak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I managed to see the last showing at Brighton Odeon of The King of Thieves yesterday afternoon. It disappoints me how movies don't seem to stay on long these days, but with only 4 others at this screening I guess that explains why.

This film has a great cast and they put in great performances by and large. Some real laugh out loud lines as well as some sad moments and I always enjoy a British set movie which this does well.

I'm going to miss Michael Caine when he finally retires, and judging from this film, this can't be far off.

8/10
    This is it's 4th week which is good, many films do not make it for longer than a week and it has taken over £ 5 000 000 at the uk box office which is a resounding success but I think it is a film that will do well here but not have broad appeal for much global success despite the cast
    Spielberg is GOD.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      A true story from the war of bravery and courage.

One of only 12 Norwegian saboteurs to get away when sussed out, this bloke's route to survival whilst being pursued by a German with a point to prove is amazing, puts your modern day grumbles into perspective.

13.2 / 15

Name:  91i7zAhOcoL._SY445_.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  32.4 KB
      We're going up.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      On Chesil Beach:

The tale of a couple who love each other completely but for reasons best left for the film to explain, cannot be together. He spends the rest of his life unfulfilled and lonely. It really affected me this film. Not least because Chesil beach made up a huge part of my life and I scattered my Father’s ashes there. A brilliant adaptation of Irvine Welsh’s novella. Stunningly shot.
      8.5/10
      I have read the book but felt the story was so sad I didn't want to see the film.
      We're going up, we're going to win the Cup, for Sussex by the Sea.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Barry Izbak View Post
      I managed to see the last showing at Brighton Odeon of The King of Thieves yesterday afternoon. It disappoints me how movies don't seem to stay on long these days, but with only 4 others at this screening I guess that explains why.

This film has a great cast and they put in great performances by and large. Some real laugh out loud lines as well as some sad moments and I always enjoy a British set movie which this does well.

I'm going to miss Michael Caine when he finally retires, and judging from this film, this can't be far off.

8/10
      Was a very disappointing film. I gave it 1.5/10
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
      We're going up.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Nobody owning up to having seen the Mama Mia sequel that's shamefully been block booked for the DoY for the past month then?
      I have seen it twice and will see it again if I get a chance.
      We're going up, we're going to win the Cup, for Sussex by the Sea.

1 Not allowed!
      The London Film Festival starts for me tomorrow with Widows, followed by a meagre 9 other films over a week or so, so i thought i would get in the mood for it by seeing a brace of flicks today. I'll speak of the second one first, as i suppose i want to forget it in a hurry. It was Venom, and there was me, and 2 other fellas in the cinema to see it. They didn't sound disappointed on departure, but maybe they had low expectations, which were ideally met. It is a shocker of a film. The trailer, i remember, had me feel strange, and a little sickened by the tone of Tom Hardy's voice. From when Hardy first appears i thought they had changed it a bit though, dubbing over with a deeper tone. Anywho, that mattered little overall really, as a tinpot anti-hero film ensued - in a Marvel-dominated universe (the trailer for DC's Aquaman looks shit) you can't put out rubbish like this and get away with it. It was like the 1990s, and the comicbook tripe that spilt out then, but with a third of it edited out. It was nonsense, and unfunny nonsense for the most part. Hardy couldn't make much of a go of it, and the odd colour of Michelle Williams - she was oranger than Gwyneth Paltrow - didn't fit the spectrum of any other character (if you can say that characters existed in this copped down bobbins). If there's a Venom 2 it cannot be as bad as this.

The other film i saw, though, which i rather liked, was The Wife. It can be difficult, though, to film a drama almost as if it is all in a theatre, and for the actors to perform in a cinematic way. Glenn Close does, as she's just excellent, but other actors can't match. My manager at work saw it and said that she wanted to see it again straight afterwards. I agree, but for 2 reasons. 1 to see all the little things that were said and done that fit with the dramatic conclusion, but also because i think it could have gone on a little more. A good watch, though, and a good story that you feel you know the end of as the resentment bubbles through engrossingly. I would think it's a Glenn Close Oscar performance, and the film is striking against lasting misogyny and what some over time forget. Glad i saw that.
      Milk, milk, lemonade
      Round the corner chocolate's made

0 Not allowed!
      Managed to book a couple of tickets for Though Shalt Not Grow Old. Not a fan of colour restoration but this does look very good. Only 4 tickets left at Duke Of York’s when I booked.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/...l-not-grow-old
      "Unemployments rising in the Chigley end of town.
      And it's spreading like pneumonia.
      Doesn't look like going down"

0 Not allowed!
      Watched 22 July yesterday, the true story of the terrible Norway massacre by a right wing extremist in 2011.

Quite good, thought provoking.

9.6 / 12

Shall now move on to the probably superior U: JULY 22.
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      My cinema going has been lax this year. Though I did go to the cineworld unlimited secret screening on Monday, which turned out to be The Hate U Give based on a wildly popular (in America) book about a teen girl who lives in a poor black area, but goes to a private school in a rich, mostly white area, and who witnesses her (unarmed) childhood friend being shot by the police during a frivolous traffic stop, and her two worlds start colliding as some people want her to testify to what she saw, and others want her to stay silent.

It was ok, but a little lightweight for the most part, then it seemed to force a happy ending to the story that made it feel like they solved the issue of young unarmed black men being killed by police. It felt like the text of the book was covered but not the subtext or the depth, and there was no flare or personalisation to the adaptation.

It felt like it was the secret cinema with the fewest walkouts (though I missed the last one, which was incredibles 2, I don't imagine many walked out of that). Part of me thought people didn't want to be accused of being racist.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Saw A Star is Born last night. Not really my type of film but I loved it. Great performances from the 2 leads particularly Cooper
      Live concert parts were very well done.
      Gagas rise to the top seemed a bit rushed and unrealistic but that was my only gripe really