Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Darkest Hour

Decent, if rather dry. Oldman is incredible as WC, the awards are nailed on. But I was hoping for a more sweeping narrative, where we see the results of his decisions within the theatre of war, but the movie is very much contained and focused on him and him alone. Its an enjoyable performance by Oldman, but I can't see myself revisiting this film any time soon.

68%

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I cannot even begin to describe how good Gary Oldman's acting performance was in Darkest Hour. The best I have seen for a long time. I would rate the film an 88 out of 100

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A rare outing for me on the films threads, but big thumbs up for Three Billboards. Dark funny and brutal, yet never graphic and some choice swearing.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Will be making a beeline to watch Darkest Hour, Solo and three billboards then dipping in and out of this thread to pick up recommendations.

Worried about Solo - it’s the Star Wars backstory I want to see the most personally - but gather the replacement of directors around two thirds of the way through principal photography because the tone was too comical has split opinions.

Ron Howard should be a faithful steward for this type of film and he loves the franchise history so maybe he can rescue it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Another vote for 3 Billboards. Stunningly good film: original, funny, tragic, dark, violent, tender and brilliantly acted. I'd be surprised if there is a better film this year. Up there with Moonlight and The Florida Project from last year for me.
I agree what you day about 3 Billboards but the ending wad secretly lacking an end. Very good up until that point.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Have you got a cold? [emoji38]ol:
Lol. Bloody predictive text.

I agree what you say about 3 Billboards but the ending was seriously lacking an ending. Very good up until that point.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Spielberg's The Post looks decent. The first time he has ever directed Meryl Streep who is of course an acting legend despite what Trump says

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Another vote for 3 Billboards. Stunningly good film: original, funny, tragic, dark, violent, tender and brilliantly acted. I'd be surprised if there is a better film this year. Up there with Moonlight and The Florida Project from last year for me.

Yep, just watched Three Billboards and loved it. McDormand, Rockwell and Harrelson are magnificent. Beautifully written and acted, some laugh out loud moments interspersed with some shocking violence, menace and poignancy. Proper cinema this, best film I've seen in months. A solid 93%.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Really enjoyed Darkest Hour.

Gary Oldman is superb as Winston and is virtually on screen for 100% of the film. His performance will no doubt win awards.

The film is all dialogue and almost zero action, but in my test of whether a film is good or not, I never once looked at my watch to see how long was left. A film that I will revisit when released onto DVD or streaming channels.

Best film I have seen for sometime.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I went to see Three Billboards on Saturday, in with a gaggle of parents and weepy nippers. I thought it started well, but I found it growingly annoying. It had me thinking back to Baby Driver in which a writer cannot bring an honesty to characters in an unknown environ. Ok as a fierce dialogist, with consistent religious-questioning under-and-over-tones, McDonagh is wrong to compare to the more frivolous and film-fanatic Edgar Wright, but for me, when the talk of a southern American sounds written by a Brit as if spoken by a Brit, it stands out discomfortingly. So, that was one bugbear for me (I was also convinced that Woody Harrelson's wife became Australian during the middle third of the film, strangely), but not that alone. You know, it had some good scenes, yes, but the 3 parts of the film didn't stick together for me, with the middle part giving the character an unnatural sense of morbid philosophy that didn't fit with the events of the first, and the last part's redemption chapter being flung on there, with another dose of barbarism thrown in for fun.
It grates, I find, to have what might be good and well-written, ending up like a bit of a more recent Tarantino film. Bits were good, but I have not been able to quell the anger formed by expectation.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Starting to pick up for me on the film front:

All The Money In The World - really enjoyed this, Christopher Plummer was great, would have no idea that there'd been any reshoots. Mark Wahlberg (whilst normally reliable) was playing a bit of a strange character; Charlie Plummer (no relation to Christopher) was decent and will be interesting to see what else he does.

Jumanji - wasn't expecting much with this, but enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The storyline is a bit hokey and convenient, but pleased to see the actors entering the spirit of the piece. Karen Gillan was fairly easy on the eye too... :)

Seeing Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars tomorrow in London; looking forward to it. Then Sunday, Darkest Hour. Might go and see The Commuter... Downsizing also looks like it might be fun (or guff).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The shape of water is excellent.
Usual quirky feel as is with most Guillermo del Toro films and I doubt it will be to everyone's taste, but me and the Mrs thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also watch a film called Remember, about an OAP with dementia who is sent out on a mission of sorts, to track down the Nazi in charge of the concentration camp who killed the family of a man he knows.
Probably my favourite film of the past few months, well worth a watch.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Yep, just watched Three Billboards and loved it. McDormand, Rockwell and Harrelson are magnificent. Beautifully written and acted, some laugh out loud moments interspersed with some shocking violence, menace and poignancy. Proper cinema this, best film I've seen in months. A solid 93%.

great. I'm going to see it at The Depot on Sunday :thumbsup:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Going to see Darkest Hour tomorrow night - looking forward to that.

Saw Jumanji the other week - relies on The Rock and Jack Black, I can imagine with lesser actors it would be rubbish but with them it was enjoyable fun.

Saw Star Wars - enjoyed it although as usual with Star Wars films, I am a little confused who everyone is. Still good though.

Looking forward to seeing The Post and the new Maze Runner film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Really enjoyed Darkest Hour.

Gary Oldman is superb as Winston and is virtually on screen for 100% of the film. His performance will no doubt win awards.

The film is all dialogue and almost zero action, but in my test of whether a film is good or not, I never once looked at my watch to see how long was left. A film that I will revisit when released onto DVD or streaming channels.

Best film I have seen for sometime.

Oldman was quite superb wasn't he ? Cannot remember a better acting performance for many a year. BRAVO !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I went to see Three Billboards on Saturday, in with a gaggle of parents and weepy nippers. I thought it started well, but I found it growingly annoying. It had me thinking back to Baby Driver in which a writer cannot bring an honesty to characters in an unknown environ. Ok as a fierce dialogist, with consistent religious-questioning under-and-over-tones, McDonagh is wrong to compare to the more frivolous and film-fanatic Edgar Wright, but for me, when the talk of a southern American sounds written by a Brit as if spoken by a Brit, it stands out discomfortingly. So, that was one bugbear for me (I was also convinced that Woody Harrelson's wife became Australian during the middle third of the film, strangely), but not that alone. You know, it had some good scenes, yes, but the 3 parts of the film didn't stick together for me, with the middle part giving the character an unnatural sense of morbid philosophy that didn't fit with the events of the first, and the last part's redemption chapter being flung on there, with another dose of barbarism thrown in for fun.
It grates, I find, to have what might be good and well-written, ending up like a bit of a more recent Tarantino film. Bits were good, but I have not been able to quell the anger formed by expectation.

I actually thought it was one of the best films I've seen for ages. Like you I did note the slightly strange evolving accent of Woody Harrelson's wife which seemed to become more English than Australian to me as the film went on (OK, I know she is Australian but she still sounded more Eng than Aus). The other thing which jarred was the inexplicable pop-up appearance of the seemingly very tame deer that Frances McDormand had a conversation with, that was just surreal. Other than that I thought McDormand, Harrelson and Sam Rockwell as the luckless Dixon all delivered stellar performances, the dialogue was good throughout and I thought the film hung together pretty well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here