Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Then you're in luck mate, Anne-Marie Duff plays her mother-in-law :lolol:

Seriously tho, it's a, er, SERIOUSLY sweet film but it's only on at the DoY til Thursday. Look lively - and report back! :wink:

honestly didn't know that! And thanks, think it's on at the Depot too (or was)

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So.

Never consciously set out to be a Saoirse Ronan fanboy, but had her marked out as a personal special talent ever since the The Lovely Bones in 2009. She's only 24, and already has a hugely impressive CV under her belt. And hot on the heels of her Oscar-nominated performance in Ladybird comes On Chesil Beach, an altogether different movie, yet in many ways the same movie. This time she's Florence Ponting, middle-middle-class classical-music-loving mildly-rebellious newlywed, newly-bethrothed to lower-middle-class jazz-loving mildly-rebellious Edward Mayhew, ably-played by Billy Howle. It's 1962. They've been married a couple of hours, they're booked into a posh/grotty flock-wallpaper hotel on Chesil Beach in Dorset. Bit by bit, we're filled in on their back stories, lovingly set against a backdrop of flint cottages and pebble beaches, village cricket and ungifted amateur tennis.It's beautifully directed by Dominic Cooke, and ever so easy to fully immerse yourself in. But based on a novella of the same name by Ian McEwan, it has to tell a specific story. So the ending gets somewhat-clumsily, yet still movingly shoe-horned in. Overall, t's a beautiful piece of work that you'll take away with you and sit in the corner and think about what you've seen for quite some time. And Saoirse Ronan? Our Greatest Living 24 Year Old Actress by about a hundred country miles. 8/10

Going to see this at DOY of Thursday after my night shift. I will be tired but do not want to miss out. Apart from the story which I found haunting and beautiful I grew up on Portland and looked out over Chesil beach every day from my bedroom window. My Father's ashes are also scattered on Chesil Beach. While the story obviously has more going on than the location, it is one of the reasons I am keen to see this.
The trailer opens to a view of Portland that is dear to me.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Going to see this at DOY of Thursday after my night shift. I will be tired but do not want to miss out. Apart from the story which I found haunting and beautiful I grew up on Portland and looked out over Chesil beach every day from my bedroom window. My Father's ashes are also scattered on Chesil Beach. While the story obviously has more going on than the location, it is one of the reasons I am keen to see this.

Ian McEwan admitted to having pebbles from Chesil Beach on his desk as he wrote the story, a group of conservationists were OUTRAGED and the council tried to fine him ... he put them back :)

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ian McEwan admitted to having pebbles from Chesil Beach on his desk as he wrote the story, a group of conservationists were OUTRAGED and the council tried to fine him ... he put them back :)

I saw that! Now, while I see the argument "if everyone did that.." But Chesil Beach is 18 miles long!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Correct use of your Thursday mate. Enjoy - and please report back :thumbsup:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
So.

Never consciously set out to be a Saoirse Ronan fanboy, but had her marked out as a personal special talent ever since the The Lovely Bones in 2009. She's only 24, and already has a hugely impressive CV under her belt. And hot on the heels of her Oscar-nominated performance in Ladybird comes On Chesil Beach, an altogether different movie, yet in many ways the same movie. This time she's Florence Ponting, middle-middle-class classical-music-loving mildly-rebellious newlywed, newly-bethrothed to lower-middle-class jazz-loving mildly-rebellious Edward Mayhew, ably-played by Billy Howle. It's 1962. They've been married a couple of hours, they're booked into a posh/grotty flock-wallpaper hotel on Chesil Beach in Dorset. Bit by bit, we're filled in on their back stories, lovingly set against a backdrop of flint cottages and pebble beaches, village cricket and ungifted amateur tennis.It's beautifully directed by Dominic Cooke, and ever so easy to fully immerse yourself in. But based on a novella of the same name by Ian McEwan, it has to tell a specific story. So the ending gets somewhat-clumsily, yet still movingly shoe-horned in. Overall, t's a beautiful piece of work that you'll take away with you and sit in the corner and think about what you've seen for quite some time. And Saoirse Ronan? Our Greatest Living 24 Year Old Actress by about a hundred country miles. 8/10

Well .... as I had to get an engineer out yesterday I managed to get to the DOYs for the final screening (just). The engineer took 2 and half hours to do a 30min job (not their fault .... ) so I arrived 30mins late just as the film began.
Difficult film to review without giving too much away and don't think I can add to yours. I thought the whole cast were brilliant, plus I loved the music and scenery. Chesil Beach looks amazing!
Couple of scenes stood out for me ... when Anne-Marie Duff HAD to dish up the stew it brought a lump to my throat, brought back a real memory for me. And the scene when Florence's dad threw a wobbly after tennis was quite haunting.
I wouldn't describe it as an enjoyable film (like Ladybird), but I think it could be a modern classic (in the vein of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof / East of Eden).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just about to turn off a film called Gemini. Absolute load of garbage. If it wasn't for the pointless fillers every two minutes then the film would be about 20mins long and still be boring as hell. No story, shoddy acting, bad haircuts and nasal Americans. Awful attempt at a movie.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hereditary. Words cannot describe how bad this film is. Avoid at all costs. By far the worst film of the year. It rates s 25 out of 100

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hereditary. Words cannot describe how bad this film is. Avoid at all costs. By far the worst film of the year. It rates s 25 out of 100

Completely agree with this, several people walked out of the showing i went to as it is sooo dull and boring and i wished i'd done the same

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

The minute I saw on the poster the words "THIS GENERATION'S THE EXORCIST". I knew it would be a pile of plop. I shall pass on a trip to see this.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That's a real shame as I saw the trailer and it looked decent

The trailer is ok but nothing happened for 90 minutes bar one event, I mean nothing. I would have walked out but had my partner with me and I have not done that before bar one film. The last 30 minutes were then just stupid. People were laughing and when we left everyone was taking the piss, saying, wtf was that ? and not in any good way. 2 people walked out after an hour and there wre only about 20 to start with. It really was diabolical in every possible way apart from Milly Shapiro who showed promise

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The trailer is ok but nothing happened for 90 minutes bar one event, I mean nothing. I would have walked out but had my partner with me and I have not done that before bar one film. The last 30 minutes were then just stupid. People were laughing and when we left everyone was taking the piss, saying, wtf was that ? and not in any good way. 2 people walked out after an hour and there wre only about 20 to start with. It really was diabolical in every possible way apart from Milly Shapiro who showed promise

What film did you walk out of?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I liked Hereditary. Solid 6.8ish out of 10 for me.

Though the reviews I read claiming it to be the scariest film since that one time you accidentally found a video of your parents canoodling in front of a log fire were a bit over the top.

Taking out the supernatural bits it was quite a good depiction of grief and felt Toni Collette was very good.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I hate to doubt your cinematic wisdom Uncle but, in this instance, having read your first sentence above, I don't really have any other option. I've seen the trailer. Multiple events happen. Maybe the movie just caught you on a bad day.

Matinee review to follow sometime soon.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I hate to doubt your cinematic wisdom Uncle but, in this instance, having read your first sentence above, I don't really have any other option. I've seen the trailer. Multiple events happen. Maybe the movie just caught you on a bad day.

Matinee review to follow sometime soon.

You have not seen it. Everything that happens is in the 2 minute clip of a 127 minute film. Go and see it and tell me if you aren't bored senseless after an hour

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here