Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched 'A Quiet Place' tonight.

Wow. A really good horror film is so, SO hard to find, but this is a beauty. Not overly gory, but the sheer dripping tension and creeping dread is, I think, right up there from when I first saw Alien. Set in a near apocalyptic future, much of the human race has been wiped out by some kind of vicious breed of aliens who are totally blind, but have incredibly sensitive hearing. "If they hear you - they hunt you" is the tagline. As a result, people now exist in near silence, speaking in sign language and walking everywhere shoeless, as the TINIEST sound will bring these beasts down on you. The movie focuses on one family, living on a farm in amongst swaying cornfields. Its a story of survival, as they know they're literally just a dropped cup away from being ripped to shreds. And the woman is heavily pregnant....

Brilliant. Best horror I've seen in years. 92%.

Last edited:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I watched 'A Quiet Place' tonight.

Wow. A really good horror film is so, SO hard to find, but this is a beauty. Not overly gory, but the sheer dripping tension and creeping dread is, I think, right up there from when I first saw Alien. Set in a near apocalyptic future, much of the human race has been wiped out by some kind of vicious breed of aliens who are totally blind, but have incredibly sensitive hearing. "If they hear you - they hunt you" is the tagline. As a result, people now exist in near silence, speaking in sign language and walking everywhere shoeless, as the TINIEST sound will bring these beasts down on you. The movie focuses on one family, living on a farm in amongst swaying cornfields. Its a story of survival, as they know they're literally just a dropped cup away from being ripped to shreds. And the woman is heavily pregnant....

Brilliant. Best horror I've seen in years. 92%.

I thought the same but then I saw "Hereditary" and think that pipped it in my opinion.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I thought the same but then I saw "Hereditary" and think that pipped it in my opinion.

It always amazes me how people view the same thing in totally different ways. Me, my Mrs and my stepdaughter all thought Hereditary was one of the worst films we've ever seen, poor story, poor acting and so bland that it bored the crap out of us all.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It always amazes me how people view the same thing in totally different ways. Me, my Mrs and my stepdaughter all thought Hereditary was one of the worst films we've ever seen, poor story, poor acting and so bland that it bored the crap out of us all.

Hereditary for me was the worst film I have seen in many years. Nothing, literally nothing happened for 90 minutes and the last 30 minutes were bad comedy. The few people who had stayed were laughing out loud. I could not wait to leave the cinema

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Three films in three days for me. I enjoyed Blackkklansman a lot though I would have liked more of the footage at the end which was the most powerful and compelling part of the film.

Last night I saw Children's Act which is a fantastic film and Emma Thompson plays the role superbly, I now want to read the book to see how it compares.

Later on today I am seeing Yardie so will report back!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Took the chance yesterday to go catch Cold War. I'd seen the director's previous film, Ida, on a tired day, and i recall being in and out of the atrium of sleep, and have wanted to see it since again. This film was in black and white again, and gorgeously shot, needless of colour for tone and texture. It fairly raced through the decade of 50s Poland, and the deep sacrifice fared by the leading pianist and fiery young singer whose love burns romantically through the stringent communism that dominated lifestyle and feeling. Music is alongside them as they go, and move, into each other's arms and away from them, speaking rampantly of their love, and of the time and restrictions. It felt a bit like Tarkovsky's LaLaLand.
I liked watching. I thought about love, and how i suppose it comes to each of us differently, but usually without apology, and only on occasion without introduction. For this couple, artistic and expressive in surroundings that smite, their's seemed true and unwilting, and darkly fitting. A really good film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Children Act. Ok, worth seeing for Emma Thompson acting masterclass, 74 out of 100. I saw A Monster Calls at the weekend. MY GOD how powerful at the end ! Superb in all departments, 92 out of 100

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
A Prayer before Dawn - 6/10. Worth watching but average
American Animals - 8/10. Well worth the watch.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Couple of out of cinema but recent ones I watched on Prime recently:

The shape of water.
Interesting but not the knockout I was expecting. Is it me or is it pretty much a darker remake of the 2nd half of Splash? I like the leading lady ( I forget her name) and she was great in it but I particularly enjoyed Michael Shannon's character ad his rotting fingers. He played that perfectly. I enjoyed it overall, a solid 3/5.

A quiet place.
Passable. Once one becomes accustomed to the "quiet thing" there really isn't much to marvel at and it just becomes a standard"hiding from monsters" movie. It does it fairly well but nothing special and I didn't care what happened to any of the characters. Plus, am I missing something but with all the care they had taken setting up and maintaining their quiet environment, the laying down of sand, the sound proofing, the light system etc why the heck did they leave a nail sticking out of the stairs? Even after she had stepped on it they leave it there. Silly. Reminded me of a Netflix movie. 1.5/5

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just watched a Prayer Before Dawn. I had heard good things so was expecting better.

2 hours of sweaty men with tattoos shouting at each other, ladyboys, lots of arguing about cigarettes, lead bloke trying to avoid being botty raped and shots of men sleeping on the floor.
Dreary and ambling. The lead actor (joe Cole) is passable in it though but then he doesn't have a lot to do except look scared one scene and angry the next and his Pug like features, button nose and pale palor do little to endear one towards him.
Somewhat disappointing. 1.5/10

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Couple of out of cinema but recent ones I watched on Prime recently:

The shape of water.
Interesting but not the knockout I was expecting. Is it me or is it pretty much a darker remake of the 2nd half of Splash? I like the leading lady ( I forget her name) and she was great in it but I particularly enjoyed Michael Shannon's character ad his rotting fingers. He played that perfectly. I enjoyed it overall, a solid 3/5.

The actress is Sally Hawkins. I loved The Shape of Water and Michael Shannon's character (his rotting fingers).

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Having heard interviews, seen the cast and some soundtrack stuff (Richard Hawley) this movie around an aspiring female comedian in seedy 70s clubs sounds right up my street.

View attachment 96120

Next week.......

Finally got around to seeing this, really enjoyed it. Many subjects covered, deep at times and some nice 70s gags along the way. Nice tunes from Hawley to boot. Recommended.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A Prayer before Dawn - 6/10. Worth watching but average
American Animals - 8/10. Well worth the watch.

Will be watching American Animals. Producer is Hove born Derringer Sclesinger from IT Crowd and more. Brits filming in the States. Hope it's good.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Will be watching American Animals. Producer is Hove born Derringer Sclesinger from IT Crowd and more. Brits filming in the States. Hope it's good.

You learn something new every day. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve just bought an Amazon firestick, so can start watching Prime movies on the box, opening up another back catalogue.

We watched The Girl on the Train (2016), a thriller starring Emily Blunt. 7/10. A great performance from her, a very different character from her other movies, with an unpredictable ending.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Finally got around to watching BlackKklansman t'other day and, sadly, did drop off a little during it. As per usual this is not because of a poorness of film, but general life tiring poor Meade on a daily happy basis, and those impossibly comfy chairs you get in a Picturehouse. I think from now on I will only go to the Arthouse cinema in Crouch End. I'll never go under in those rickety seats.
Anyway, I was up for most of it, the film. And, I felt it was, well, alright. The story, although based on true happenings, felt more comedic, and even Coen-Brothers-esque in its idiot-filled hijinxery, than the racial disharmony it was to tell of. Ok you can combine the two, but I felt one was the occasional undoing of the other. When a joke seems flat or unsubtle, it can pierce both the comedy and strikingness of the tale. Anywho, it was alright, as I said. The very ending, after the tale had concluded, with footage of Trump's America, was horribly shocking. Much more so than the content of the film.

Whilst I remember, I watched Call Me By Your Name on the box last week. By jingo that's a good film. Beautiful and timeless in its sense of youth and desire, and whilst portraying characters that I would generally not like, or be like, enabling me to wish them success. Really good that, I thought.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Seen in the last week:

Cold War - Superb as long as you like that sort of thing, reminiscent of Casablanca for me
The Children's Act- A very interesting film and Emma Thompson was brilliant as she usually is.
Yardie - A little disjointed but fun, you need to listen carefully as they Jamaican Patois is strong.
BlacKKKlansmann - A very good film indeed with the ending being the most powerful part, one of those where people sit in silence for a few minutes after
American Animals - I really enjoyed this, two hours flew by viewing this, I think this is one that will be enjoyed by a wide audience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here