Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
"I, Tonya" is excellent. More probably so for those of use able to remember the story from early 90s.The cast is excellent, and despite not seeing the other 'best supporting actress' contenders, am not the least surprised that there's one here. The film manages to have a fair amount of chuckles which to its credit doesn't let them disguise how grim some of these people were/are.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The bafta's tomorrow. For me between three billboards and the shape of water. It was a shue in for three billboards but then saw the shape of water. Hard to compare both brilliant but the shape of water just edges it for me. It is just extraordinary. Both films are the greatest for a long time for different reasons. I have not seen a better overall film than the shape of water for many years. McDiormad was amazing in three billbboards but Sally Hawkins in the shape of water was just incredible and just stole it for the Oscar for me

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The bafta's tomorrow. For me between three billboards and the shape of water. It was a shue in for three billboards but then saw the shape of water. Hard to compare both brilliant but the shape of water just edges it for me. It is just extraordinary

Shoo in. Shoo ;)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Will probably go and see The Shape Of Water next week. Tho not with any great sense of anticipation. The trailer looks like one long movie-by-numbers spoiler.

Will be massively surprised if the movie contains any massive surprises.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Will probably go and see The Shape Of Water next week. Tho not with any great sense of anticipation. The trailer looks like one long movie-by-numbers spoiler.

Will be massively surprised if the movie contains any massive surprises.

Go with an open heart my friend

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So many incredible films this year so far

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So much in the shape of water. Of course the animal was not the beast it was the beast abusing him.

The love came from 2 lost souls alienated and lonely finding common ground. Mutes both and connecting as such.

Growing to love and support each other. Being for each other until the end and having that once in a lifetime connection.

A love story unconventional but beyond beauty

It is an exrtraordinary work

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching The Ritual, loved it. Hollywood could learn a lot from the UK about how to make a horror/thriller. Think Blair Witch meets Norse mythology meets The Wicker Man. Excellent casting and beautifully surreal at times.
8.5/10

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I went to see The Shape of Water at the Duke of York's Saturday. Started late, possibly 'cos there were more people than seats?
Waiting to go in I felt nervous, everyone seemed far too excited .... too much popcorn maybe. I took my own 'refreshment' and had a big glugg as soon as I sat down.
I don't think it's a film for everyone. It's a wonderful tale of nonsense. I loved it. A sort of book at bedtime made into a film with lots of sublime messages ... racism, bigotry, discrimination

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I went to see The Shape of Water at the Duke of York's Saturday. Started late, possibly 'cos there were more people than seats?
Waiting to go in I felt nervous, everyone seemed far too excited .... too much popcorn maybe. I took my own 'refreshment' and had a big glugg as soon as I sat down.
I don't think it's a film for everyone. It's a wonderful tale of nonsense. I loved it. A sort of book at bedtime made into a film with lots of sublime messages ... racism, bigotry, discrimination

Three Billboards is superb but the shape of water is my favourite. It stays in the mind long after the film ends. It is totally unique and magical

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Three Billboards is superb but the shape of water is my favourite. It stays in the mind long after the film ends. It is totally unique and magical

Yes, I know what you mean, very thought provoking, a very clever film, but I can understand why some don't like it. I thought the Agent Strickland (?) character was good too, the gradual disintegration. Oh, and I loved the apartments
I enjoyed Three Billboards too and would watch both films again.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I agree what you day about 3 Billboards but the ending wad secretly lacking an end. Very good up until that point.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Someone said that was filmatic (is that a word?) license for a sequel. Those characters could go through twists and plot abnormalities for another 4 films.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Annihilation is released in the States today. It's by the same director who did Ex-Machina and has got very good reviews in the US papers. It won't be released in cinemas in the UK but will be available through Netflix in March. Seems the studio got nervous about how well it would do on the big screen so pre-sold the internet rights to Netflix

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Annihilation is released in the States today. It's by the same director who did Ex-Machina and has got very good reviews in the US papers. It won't be released in cinemas in the UK but will be available through Netflix in March. Seems the studio got nervous about how well it would do on the big screen so pre-sold the internet rights to Netflix

Saw a trailer and thought it was quite deep ! have Netflix so shall give it a go. Thanks for the heads up

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Went to see The Shape of Water last night..

It was stunningly beautiful, completely implausible, with classy music, and brilliantly acted... all the classic elements of a Disney fairy story with a bit of sex and violence and a 15 certificate.

Captivated the audience from start to finish - all disbelief suspended - peril and joy in equal measure.

Right up there with Three Billboards for me.

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
2. The Shape of Water
3. The Greatest Showman
4. Murder on the Orient Express
5. Darkest Hour
6. The Post

What next... Black Panther, Coco or Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle? actually probably Lady Bird while we have the chance.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Went to see The Shape of Water last night..

It was stunningly beautiful, completely implausible, with classy music, and brilliantly acted... all the classic elements of a Disney fairy story with a bit of sex and violence and a 15 certificate.

Captivated the audience from start to finish - all disbelief suspended - peril and joy in equal measure.

Right up there with Three Billboards for me.

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
2. The Shape of Water
3. The Greatest Showman
4. Murder on the Orient Express
5. Darkest Hour
6. The Post

What next... Black Panther, Coco or Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle? actually probably Lady Bird while we have the chance.

I totally agree. The Shape of Water is a work of magnificent beauty, one of the most magical films I have seen for many years. I am still thinking about it 10 days on. So many clever observations and clearly Strickland was in fact the Monster

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here