Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good call - saw this with the missus at The Depot - Lewes today.

Lots more elderly than us - laughs/tears in the right places.

Plus nobody left during the end credits :thumbsup:

Very decent film and Lily James is a STAR !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rampage it scores a 78 out of 100. Decent popcorn movie fun to be had with the Rock. It does exactly what it says on the tin. One of the best fellas around for this type of film. You have to LOVE the Rock. He fills the screen with his good humor charisma wit and charm in every film he does and a decent actor for me. Also has the considerable acting chops of Naomie Harris

I love Naomi Watts. Very fit and a decent actor. I find The Rock self conscious, bad at "acting" and unwatchabale. Have avoided everything he's been in since Welcome To The Jungle.
Just so you know :)

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Saw Avengers: Infinity War at the lovely Dome Cinema in Worthing over the weekend. Having endured what I considered the utterly dull but Black Panther, I felt a little apprehensive about this one due to what I thought might be superhero fatigue on my part. The 2hr 40mins run time also left me wincing before I took my seat with the family for this one.

What followed, however, was a truly modern epic in every sense of the word. No spoilers here but Avengers: Infinity War is a masterclass in how to handle such a huge cast over what is actually a fun and interesting instalment in the seemingly never ending Marvel movie universe. A giant Peter Dinklage aside, there really was very few duff moments in this one and those almost three hours flew by. I even enjoyed the trip back to Wakanda with Black Panther, proving that sometimes a little mystery around a character is far more compelling than another drawn out origin story.

9/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair enough, I like him

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched a couple of movies over the weekend.

Bølgen (the wave in English)
Norwegian disaster movie that was really enjoyable. Good amount of tension built up before the incident, decent effects, good acting. 7.5/10

Stay.
A slightly odd but beautifully filmed movie about guilt and the effects it can have. The ending might leave you a little confused, but if you can work it out then it's worth a watch. 7/10.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In the very unlikely event that anyone finds themselves at a loose end in Toronto this weekend...
My feature documentary "Something Left Behind" is screening at the Carlton Cinema on Saturday.

View attachment 95438

No. Just out here briefly with the film I'm afraid.

Hopefully something local, yes. Depends if CineCity will have it or something, otherwise it's incredibly expensive to put a film on independently.
The Toronto screening went down very well thanks and also the Q&A afterwards with Mr Gedge joining in.

[tweet]991264183302967296[/tweet]

https://filmfreeway.com/cinecity

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Rampage it scores a 78 out of 100. Decent popcorn movie fun to be had with the Rock. It does exactly what it says on the tin. One of the best fellas around for this type of film. You have to LOVE the Rock. He fills the screen with his good humor charisma wit and charm in every film he does and a decent actor for me. Also has the considerable acting chops of Naomie Harris
Totally agree. It's not the most intellectually challenging of films but it isn't aiming at that. Very well done, good humour in it, action all very well done. The very beginning did take me by surprise though!

Really enjoyed it and TBH enjoyed Dwayne's turn in Jumanji too. Think he's perfect for this sort of film. Is definitely on my list of "reliable actors" now...those who tend to pick films which really suit them, and are decent.

Looks like Avengers next for me...potentially on 4DX.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Totally agree. It's not the most intellectually challenging of films but it isn't aiming at that. Very well done, good humour in it, action all very well done. The very beginning did take me by surprise though!

Really enjoyed it and TBH enjoyed Dwayne's turn in Jumanji too. Think he's perfect for this sort of film. Is definitely on my list of "reliable actors" now...those who tend to pick films which really suit them, and are decent.

Looks like Avengers next for me...potentially on 4DX.

It was worth the entrance fee alone for that moment. I was in stitches !

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
[tweet]991264183302967296[/tweet]

https://filmfreeway.com/cinecity

Thanks but unfortunately I looked into it a while ago and this is on the Cinecity website under the submission rules:
4. Films must be no longer than 45 minutes. Please note: unfortunately, we are not accepting features this year

I've screened a short there before, so it would have been nice to get the feature in. So far a festival has picked it up for Bristol, Dublin and London and I'm waiting to hear back from others...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Trying to get my head around the Avengers Infinity War UK opening weekend box office figures

1. 650, £45199, £29,379,496

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just watched Black Panther in preparation for Infinity War at the weekend. Here's what I took from it....

King dies.
Young prince is made king by Shaman in front of all tribes.
Angry opponent challenges king.
King is thought to be dead so opponent claims rule over the kingdom.
King isn't dead and comes back to claim the land for his people.
Sunset seen from big rock.

Basically watch The Lion King, it's more interesting and it has Timon and Pumbaa and the voice of Vader.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Am in the midst of a film double bill at present, the 40 minutes until the next filled with a halloumi wrap with fries that I'll soon happily gorge on.
I'd looked forward to this time for a while; a time in which parenting would mostly stop for a fortnight with the girlfriend and bubba in Spain, and me able to just disappear into sleep and film and the occasional drink. I left them in Spain yesterday, and I didn't realise what an awful feeling that would be until it happened. Today I've received quite a few photos of a happy child, and I am joyous to see them, yet the euphoria is tainted with a sense of now how far apart we are, and what I'll miss.
Anywho, I made this as it is, so into film I am, and it began with Beast. I've been away from film and reviews, so I didn't know much of it. Just that it was on at the right time, and a psychological thriller set in Jersey - not seen one of those before. All in all it was OK. I liked the simmering sexuality and the oppressiveness by the main character's mother, played by Geraldine James, was a potent echo of shame and resentment. I enjoyed the sense of guilt and the burgeoning romance that had Moll potentially escape, but the police tracking the murderer of young girls less convincing and striking.
Pretty well acted and a good feeling of small island mentality. Toward the end I didn't like how it turned, but not bad overall.
Now onto A Quiet Place, with bulging haloumi paunch.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The Guernsey literacy and potato peel pie society - Heard mixed reviews on this and I thought it started slowly but then became more enjoyable as it went on, its a love story and pretty twee. I enjoyed it, a solid 7 from me.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
There's a lad at my work, who so happens to be my team leader, who i always ask his opinion of a film he's seen. The reason i do this is that if he says it was bear bad i will rush to see it, thinking this might be a good one. He saw A Quiet Place and found it to be too quiet. I rather liked the 90 minutes of agonising suspense i just sat through, in a cinema respectful of the need to be as silent as those we were watching. There was a bit of Hollywood corn and an amusing set of circumstances that made this a slightly ludicrous but entertainingly tense affair. I had a sometime feeling of The Road to it, this sense of unavoidable devastation, and a father doing all he can to keep his flock going.
It was good that, even if the monsters looked doable,

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Watched the magnificent and poignant Journey's End again tonight....some great performances and great minor roles by the wonderful Stephen Graham and Toby Jones.

9.28 / 10

220px-Journey's_End_(2017_film).png

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Now that I remember, I stole away last Saturday to see that Avengers malarkey. I don't blame the film itself, but I did drop off a couple of times around 2 thirds of the way through. It was all very exciting, and heroes appeared in increasing number - a few almost in cameos, it felt. I had grumbled at work over paying big money for Josh Brolin to be the voice of Thanos, but I thought his was one of the best performances. Some of that speaks of the make-up and character of the heroes, who I don't really like or find interesting, but it helped make the film far better with his foreboding musings. The notion of death was a rampant one, and I wondered about its prominence in a film surely designed for a very young audience, but anywho.
As I say, it was good, but couldn't muster a sense of epicness without the human element to those who were lost.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I had hope in this 10 days or so alone that the cinema would have a litany of possible treats for me to thrust myself toward. I am not quite in the mood for Peter Rabbit or Sherlock Gnomes, though. This left with so go for Tully yesterday morning, a film made by the Juno people, and starring Charlize Theron, in an unnaturally podgy mother-of-three role. It's a tale of the torments of motherhood in a system that doesn't seem to help, and a husband who, stereotypically, does not get it and only does part of his bit. It's meant to be heavily laced with humour, this story, aided by the appearance of Tully, a nighttime nanny that will allow her to sleep, but the characters, mostly apart from Theron's, are just rather annoying. And the humour doesn't loving impale the feel of the film. I found it saddening, and not in a powerfully effective way. The twist in it at the end was cringeworthy too, making all that was watched previously increasingly cruddy.
Nope, i didn't like this one.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
At another double bill tonight, mainly as the film I'm interested in starts at around 9, and central London, or most places really, I find difficult to simply lurk around. So a veggie burger mit fries soon approaches, whilst I ponder briefly that which I just saw. Twas Nothing Like a Dame, a room with a chortlesome chat between 4 great actresses, the most of which is Judi Dench. All dames, and all bewitched by the irregularity of memory. Anecdotes aplenty, and the audiences, the majority of which were fairly aged too, laughed in unison - even at reminiscences that seemed tragic than light hearted. I wasn't wholly enchanted with it, but bits intrigued and Dame Maggie Smith was the funniest.
Soon to dine and fight my way to the French film coming to claim my full attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here