Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Can't wait for a bit of Film 2019....Alan Partridge as Ulverston's Stan Laurel.

SC.jpg

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
2018 to date

Masterpiece

1. The Shape of Water 98 x 4
2. Three Billboards 93 x 2
3. Ready Player One 92 x 2

Very Good

4. Darkest Hour 89 x 2
5. The Post 83
6. Film stars don't die in Liverpool 82
7. Finding your Feet 82 x 2

Good

8. Phantom Thread 80
9. The Guernsey literary and potato peel society 79 *
10. A Quiet Place 78 - upgraded
11. My Generation 72

Average

Poor

Loved this

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
If thats what you're after, it delivers in SPADES. Yes the plot gets rather convoluted, yes some of the incredible escapes are ridiculous, but its just an absolute thrill-ride from start to finish. Cruise is 56, but you'd never know it. He just throws himself into this role and totally owns it. Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation both upped the ante in this franchise, and this one is right up there with them.

Just back and if you suspend your disbelief about various plot holes then it’s a bloody solid 8/10 from me.

Excellent 100mph action with a smattering of dark comedy thrown in. Loved Hunt’s use of the word prick. A very English swear word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Be sensible Uncle, you head-mental LOON :mad:

I loved it and I don't care who knows it. I am not and have never have been cool. I am not an Abba denier and I do not try and be hip and trendy by just watching art house films no one else sees just to assume a morally and intellectually higher ground. I know what I like. Mamma Mia, here we go again is SUPERB !

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I loved it and I don't care who knows it. I am not and have never have been cool. I am not an Abba denier and I do not try and be hip and trendy by just watching art house films no one else sees just to assume a morally and intellectually higher ground. I know what I like. Mamma Mia, here we go again is SUPERB !

You know, you can like stuff without putting down things other people like.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You know, you can like stuff without putting down things other people like.

Maybe but is it not me being put down in the first place ? Anyway I love it and that is all that matters to me

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maybe but is it not me being put down in the first place ? Anyway I love it and that is all that matters to me

And quite rightly so. You just always seem to qualify liking your stuff by insulting other’s choices.
But no matter. I will see MI . I will not see MM2.
By the by, Tom Cruise was very good in American Made.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If thats what you're after, it delivers in SPADES. Yes the plot gets rather convoluted, yes some of the incredible escapes are ridiculous, but its just an absolute thrill-ride from start to finish. Cruise is 56, but you'd never know it. He just throws himself into this role and totally owns it. Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation both upped the ante in this franchise, and this one is right up there with them.

Saw the film this afternoon and really enjoyable, just what you would expect from a MI film.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched Deadpool 2 last night and Skyscraper tonight. I wish I could get both evenings back so I could watch something good instead.

Deadpool 2 is the worst film I've seen this year, it's absolute garbage. Not funny in the slightest, awful and cheap looking CGI, shit story and not worth watching even if totally bored.
Me, Mrs Gabba and my stepdaughter all agree is was toilet. 0/10.

Skyscraper was almost as bad. It was going alright for the first half hour, then just turned so ridiculous and plagiarized loads of other films, but badly (die hard, total recall, game of death, towering inferno etc). The final straw for us was the rock walking on the outside of the building by wrapping his hands and feet in duct tape! There was clearly a product placement deal with duct tape.
Only gets a 2/10 because of the first part.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just saw Mission Impossible Fallout at the marina.
Big attendance in theree at 5pm on a wet afternoon. Just shows that this franchise still packs them in.

2 and a half hours made it a long film with the so practicable ending. But the twists in the tale were so numerous it was ridiculous.

But if like me you go there expecting nonsense, you might still enjoy it as much as I did

7/10

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Had a triple header today.

Teen Titans Go to the Movies!
Based on the second iteration of the teen titans tv show, it is very silly. A feast of references, and some deep cuts. A lot of fun if you're a comic book/superhero movie fan. Perhaps not as charming if you don't have that sort of knowledge base. Hilarious last line.

Mission Impossible: Fallout
Seemed like every 'twist' was quite obvious, but six films in you're going to struggle to keep everything original. The action was impressive, and that's really what the MI films are about.

Mamma Mia Here We Go Again
Seemed slicker and more professionally made than the first, and so I think that lost some of its charm. Relied on some of the less known abba hits, so it was less familiar. Still, I enjoyed it well enough, but I didn't think it was as good as the first.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching American Animals, One of the best films I've seen this year.
It starts with the words "this is not based on a true story" but then the words "not based on" fades away and it instantly felt like it was going to be good.
It's mostly a movie about a robbery by four college kids but there are parts narrated by the real life people about what decisions they made and why, their recollections of certain events (which are often conflicting) and you get a real sense of their emotions and how the events effected them. The acting is excellent and the end is clearly still very emotional, not only for the people directly involved but the families too.
I loved the way this was filmed, seamlessly from film to documentary. It just felt genuine from start to finish instead of one of these CGI Hollywood blockbusters with no soul.
Best film for a while. 9/10.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Had a double bill earlier in the week of:

The Meg
I was expecting this to be in the same vein as Deep Blue Sea (1999), but it wasn't quite so silly or self aware. I mean it wasn't as serious as Deep Blue Sea (2011), so it was enjoyable enough, it just missed a bit more toungue-in-cheek, nod and a wink to its tone that allows you to overlook some glaring gaps in logic.

Ant-Man and The Wasp
I'm sure I've mentioned my love of superhero movies. It's not unusual for me to take a day off work so I can attend midnight openings. This didn't have one of those. But even when there's no midnight opening I'm usually there opening day. I didn't do that for this film. I enjoyed the first movie and there is nothing in particular about the film that was putting me off, I just haven't felt the urge to squeeze it into my schedule. I finally got around to seeing it and I enjoyed it. It was typical marvel fun, but it feels like the second films are typically just there. I think only Captain America: Winter Soldier escapes the curse of the second marvel movie.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just out of Blackkklansman, the latest Spike Lee “joint”. I can take or leave his stuff normally but this was an absolute corker. The funny bits are hilarious, and my god there are some brilliantly laugh out loud moments.
The true story of a black and a Jewish cop who infiltrate the KKK.
The serious bits, obviously hit you hard esp the footage at the end. I would say this is one of the best films I’ve seen this year. I can’t recommend it enough. Get it watched.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here