Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What are you looking forward to ? La La Land won 2017 for me and held firm until the end. Looking forward to 2 new Spielberg films in the first 3 months. 2017 was a decent year. Post your reviews here

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Annihilation looks pretty good and I can't wait to see Ready player one.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Looking forward to seeing Hostiles next week.

My wife is also looking forward to seeing the remake of Overboard, where the male/female lea roles have been swapped

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Holiday on the Buses 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What am I looking forward to this year?
Superhero movies: Black Panther, Avengers Infinity War, Deadpool 2, X-Men New Mutants
Family Films: Fantastic Beasts 2, Incredibles 2, Ready Player One
Musicals: Hello Again (I have no idea if that is out this year - it had film festival and limited release in the states last year) Mary Poppins Returns
Action: The Predator, Tomb Raider
Other: Fighting With My Family, The Happytime Murders

Rather than bump the Film 2017 thread and risk people confusing the two, I'll just put these comments here

The Greatest Showman
I went in with low expectations. Early word wasn't great, trailers weren't enticing, I didn't like the music in La La Land (same writers) and the songs released as promotion didn't work for me in a youtube video.

I actually enjoyed it. I imagine if you don't like the music, the rest of the film probably isn't great enough to keep your interest, but I found the music worked much better in the film, and now with tht context I can enjoy the music outside of the film. It has flaws, at times feels Baz Lurhman-lite, it skims over the story not giving much depth. But I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

Pitch Perfect 3
This isn't a franchise that lends itself to re-invention or the creative story-telling to produce a deep and fulfilling trilogy of films, so you know what you're gonna get - fluffy, weak story told by a cast that enjoy each others company, and realise what they're making. Fluffy pop music remixes in acapella mashups, around a barely there story that isn't as good as the original, or even the first sequel, but if you enjoyed them, this'll be fun enough, if unmemorable.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Better than it had a right to be, without being great. The Rock's personality is always fun, Jack Black was his usual self (you either love him or don't).

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
The Florida Project.....quality....felt more like a docu than a film....good performances.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Seeing the Darkest Hour next Sunday. Looks decent

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So today I’ve seen Hostiles and The Greatest Showman.

The latter was a lot of fun if you enjoy a musical. Predictable and very on the nose, but easy to sit through and I suspect the music will become catchier the more it’s played. Plus, Michelle Williams.

As for Hostiles, it’s a slow burner. I mean a really slow burner. And not much really happens due to the incredibly predictable storyline. Nonetheless, Bale in particular is excellent and the cinematography is beautiful. Just remember to do something that’ll make you smile afterwards, as it’s about as morbid as a film can get.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Going to watch.

Maze Runner 3
The Beyond
Annihilation
Jurassicworld 2
Deadpool 2,

Wont watch
Ready Player One
Solo