Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maguire-Drew joins Coventry

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion under-23 striker Jordan Maguire-Drew has signed for League Two side Coventry City until the end of the season - after concluding his loan spell with Lincoln City.

The 20-year-old, who made 14 appearances for the Imps in all competitions during the first half of this season, will now spend the remainder of the campaign at the Ricoh Arena, helping in the club’s push for promotion.

Albion under-23 coach Simon Rusk said, “Jordan has benefitted from playing in the EFL already this season, and joining Coventry will only add further to his experience.

“He’s got the chance of helping the club win promotion, and that’s an exciting challenge for Jordan, and something he can learn a lot from. We’ll keep track of his progress and we wish him all the best at Coventry.”

The Sky Blues currently occupy the final automatic promotion spot in League Two, and Maguire-Drew will give manager Mark Robins another attacking option.

The forward scored twice for the Imps this season, with both goals coming in his Checkatrade Trophy Player-of-the-Round performance against Everton’s under-23s at Sincil Bank.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did he drop out of favour at Lincoln? I don't think he played much recently - was he injured? If, as it might have seemed, that the step up from National League to League 2 was too much, it seems odd he's moving to a higher League 2 club. Anybody have any answers?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Poisonous atmosphere at that club, there's so many off-field problems. The deal with Wasps to play at the Ricoh expires at the end of this season, and presently SISU do not have any plans or deals in place as to where Coventry will play their home games next season. SISU are still in the process of persuing legal action against the council over the sale of the ground to Wasps. Its a big mess.

None of which is JMD's problem of course, I hope he does well there for them. But blimey, it'll be grim there.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Did he drop out of favour at Lincoln? I don't think he played much recently - was he injured? If, as it might have seemed, that the step up from National League to League 2 was too much, it seems odd he's moving to a higher League 2 club. Anybody have any answers?

The style of football that Lincoln play wasn’t suitable for his development

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20180103-172536.png

Seems JMD already stalking Coventry City :lolol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I don't have any answers, but he was a consistent member of the matchday squad up to and including his start at home to Crawley Town on October 28, after which he didn't make another appearance in the squad, so he was either injured or dropped out of favour pretty rapidly.

Of his 14 appearances, he started 5 consecutive matches at the start of the season (after making his debut as a sub), then wasn't involved in 5 consecutive matches (4 as an unused sub), and then made 8 consecutive appearances of which 3 were starts. His two goals (against Everton's U-21s in the Checkatrade Trophy) came in his penultimate appearance.

Ironically, in the Argus on the day of his last appearance (against Crawley Town), his manager at Lincoln Danny Cowley was quoted as saying:-

I'm pleased for Jordan. The second one [goal against Everton U-21s] was a signature goal for him. We see him do that a lot in training. He's got real quality and he'll be much better for those goals. He's been showing signs, particularly recently. He came off the bench at Swindon and played a big part in the goal that led to our win there. He did well again when he came on at Cheltenham on Saturday. He's getting better and better and stronger and stronger. He's still a kid but he's going to be a good player, there's no doubt about that. The supporters haven't seen the best of him yet but if they're patient with him I'm sure they will.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Sounds like he was injured for a bit (hip) and returned to the Albion for treatment.

see this in mid December
via: http://the72.co.uk/94605/lincoln-loanee-back-contention-important-weekend-clash/

"After impressing in the Checkatrade Trophy victory over Everton U21’s, the on loan winger picked up a knock which has seen him side-lined since late October.

The 20 year old had returned to parent club, Brighton and Hove Albion, in order to complete his rehabilitation from his grade two tear on his hip.

However, the Imps manager was delighted that the youngster had returned to training with the club:

“We’re pleased to have him back. He’s got real ability and our supporters probably haven’t seen the best of him yet.

“He’s trained today. He’s been able to get some good treatment back at Brighton. He’s trained fully today which was really pleasing and hopefully he’ll be in and around it this weekend.”

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Poisonous atmosphere at that club, there's so many off-field problems. The deal with Wasps to play at the Ricoh expires at the end of this season, and presently SISU do not have any plans or deals in place as to where Coventry will play their home games next season. SISU are still in the process of persuing legal action against the council over the sale of the ground to Wasps. Its a big mess.

None of which is JMD's problem of course, I hope he does well there for them. But blimey, it'll be grim there.

Maybe he fell out with someone at the club so they sent him to Coventry :whistle:

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sounds like he was injured for a bit (hip) and returned to the Albion for treatment.

see this in mid December
via: http://the72.co.uk/94605/lincoln-loanee-back-contention-important-weekend-clash/

"After impressing in the Checkatrade Trophy victory over Everton U21’s, the on loan winger picked up a knock which has seen him side-lined since late October.

The 20 year old had returned to parent club, Brighton and Hove Albion, in order to complete his rehabilitation from his grade two tear on his hip.

However, the Imps manager was delighted that the youngster had returned to training with the club:

“We’re pleased to have him back. He’s got real ability and our supporters probably haven’t seen the best of him yet.

“He’s trained today. He’s been able to get some good treatment back at Brighton. He’s trained fully today which was really pleasing and hopefully he’ll be in and around it this weekend.”

Good spot @chaileyjem

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't have any answers, but he was a consistent member of the matchday squad up to and including his start at home to Crawley Town on October 28, after which he didn't make another appearance in the squad, so he was either injured or dropped out of favour pretty rapidly.
Ironically, in the Argus on the day of his last appearance (against Crawley Town), his manager at Lincoln Danny Cowley was quoted as saying:-
I'm pleased for Jordan. The second one [goal against Everton U-21s] was a signature goal for him. We see him do that a lot in training. He's got real quality and he'll be much better for those goals. He's been showing signs, particularly recently. He came off the bench at Swindon and played a big part in the goal that led to our win there. He did well again when he came on at Cheltenham on Saturday. He's getting better and better and stronger and stronger. He's still a kid but he's going to be a good player, there's no doubt about that. The supporters haven't seen the best of him yet but if they're patient with him I'm sure they will.

see this in mid December
Thanks gentlemen for all that info. - I do like to know how our loanees ar getting on (just in case one of them is ever likely to make our first team!) Still seems a bit of a mystery then, as to why his season long loan was ended, when Lincoln seemed so pleased with him, and was replaced with half a season at Coventry. Anyway, the boy did great at Dagenham, seems to have impressed Lincoln, so hope he now makes great progress at Coventry.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thanks gentlemen for all that info. - I do like to know how our loanees ar getting on (just in case one of them is ever likely to make our first team!) Still seems a bit of a mystery then, as to why his season long loan was ended, when Lincoln seemed so pleased with him, and was replaced with half a season at Coventry. Anyway, the boy did great at Dagenham, seems to have impressed Lincoln, so hope he now makes great progress at Coventry.

Lincoln have just signed Ipswich Town winger Danny Rowe on loan, so maybe they had a chance at a more experienced player and JMD's future appearances were likely to be limited. When JMD's loan was first announced, it was stated that Albion had the option of recall in January, so maybe it would be better to think of it as a half-season loan which all parties would review in January, rather than a season-long loan deal that has been cut short.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lincoln have just signed Ipswich Town winger Danny Rowe on loan, so maybe they had a chance at a more experienced player and JMD's future appearances were likely to be limited. When JMD's loan was first announced, it was stated that Albion had the option of recall in January, so maybe it would be better to think of it as a half-season loan which all parties would review in January, rather than a season-long loan deal that has been cut short.
Fair enough, let's put it that way - I never meant to imply any criticism of the lad. Hope he knocks loads in for Coventry!

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Anyone else find the report a bit confusing? "Joins" and "Wish him all the best" combined with 'We'll keep track of his progress".

Not entirely clear whether it's a signing or another loan.

There is no confusion - it is definitely a loan move:-

[TWEET]948601303445508097[/TWEET]

[TWEET]948600321617596416[/TWEET]

[TWEET]948602231925956609[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here