Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday advice for travelling around Europe with an eight year old.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Maybe a combination of the two?

Yes a good idea, we actually did that in New Zealand, a few days in the van and few nights in hotels/motels alternating throughout the two weeks, worked out well as sometimes it can seem confined and does not help when you go to the pub and go back to the van after a sudden downpour and find you left the roof ajar !!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You mention Germany -if you want to explore the Alpine area, think no further than a little town called Oberstdorf. there is a station there and inter-city trains terminate and start from there. If you look at booking a Gasthaus, or a ferienwohnung (self-catering holiday flat) some are part of a scheme whereby the cable cars and chair lifts are all free. There is a lovely swimming complex in Oberstdorf and a huge one in nearby Sonthofen. Your daughter would love the Rodelbahn (google it) at the Sollereck mountain. If you are really interested, then PM at some stage for further help. A truly idyllic place.

I love Germany and this looks pretty nice, thanks we will investigate a bit more, I am pretty sure a friend I used to know in London moved back to this area, need to ping her an email.

Thanks

Attachments

• 41520355.jpg
    41520355.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 56

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
have a look at this link https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/global-pass

I have used interrail several times. once with a mate where we went through France, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and back through France. The 2nd time was with 31 scouts just around Switzerland using the 5 trips in 10 day pass. You just have to write in what journey you are taking and the inspectors will sign against it every trip. if you plan right you can use sleeper trains to help with hotel/accomodation costs and then wake up in a new city. We are hoping to do the same as you with our 12 and 9 year old next year.

Last edited:

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
We interailed a couple of time round europe and it was an absolute blast. Although you didn't mention it, the overnight ferries from Italy (Brindisi) to Greece included in the interail tickets are great fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here