Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk 'a top-four defender if ever I saw one'

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If Dunk is good then why are we letting in so many stupid goals ???

Three reasons. 1) there are 10 other players on our team trying to stop us conceding all of whom are prone to mistakes themselves. 2) Because there are up to 11 highly trained professionals on the other side trying to score goals against us. And 3) because he's not perfect.

I hope that helps.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
If Dunk is good then why are we letting in so many stupid goals ???

Well for a start, Bournemouth's first goal on Monday was because Cook out-jumped Duffy. The second was because Propper didn't clear the ball when he had the opportunity and then Bournemouth had a lot of luck. When you have a look at the goals we have conceded this season, I don't think he has been responsible for many at all. He's certainly been a lot stronger and more dependable than Duffy IMO. In fact I think he's had to cover for a number of mistakes by Duffy this season also. He is the real deal.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Have to admit, when Liverpool signed VVD i thought to myself if they pair him with Dunk they will possibly have the best centre back pairing in the league, to go with possibly the best strike force. Hope they dont agree!

:ffsparr:

Dunk is nowhere near one of the best CB's in the league. OBVIOUSLY

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would think that for any fee of over £20m Derek Chapman would offer to fly him there himself in his helicopter.

I doubt it, tell me where we would find a young English CB, experienced in the PL, a mainstay of our team, and a major factor in having 8 clean sheets in the league, for under £20 mil? If you know of one, I suggest you contact Arsene Wengar.

As I have said on another thread, if Dunk is not sold till the summer ( I really don't think he will be), the big six clubs, with, maybe Spurs being the only ones not in the market, will all be looking for new CBS. City need to replace Kompany, Utd need an upgrade on Smalling, Chelsea will soon have to replace Cahill, Arsenal are, well, Arsenal, and Dunk and VVG together,are a Klopp wet dream . If we hang on till the summer and then have to sell, it could be some auction

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I doubt it, tell me where we would find a young English CB, experienced in the PL, a mainstay of our team, and a major factor in having 8 clean sheets in the league, for under £20 mil? If you know of one, I suggest you contact Arsene Wengar.

As I have said on another thread, if Dunk is not sold till the summer ( I really don't think he will be), the big six clubs, with, maybe Spurs being the only ones not in the market, will all be looking for new CBS. City need to replace Kompany, Utd need an upgrade on Smalling, Chelsea will soon have to replace Cahill, Arsenal are, well, Arsenal, and Dunk and VVG together,are a Klopp wet dream . If we hang on till the summer and then have to sell, it could be some auction

I wouldnt think that Wenger rates him that highly as he is said to be trying to sign David Luiz from Chelsea for £30m. I think that he has done well for us but is a bulk standard Premier CB with a few being better. Certainly not as outstanding as VVD as many on here have said irrespective of the £75m fee.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He has netted 2 himself.:fishing:

That is true, or technically 3 as pointed out above.

I would still actually class that as one of his strengths though in that he has great defensive vision, is incredibly brave and tries to block and gets to balls that lesser centre halves wouldn't even try or get near to. 99% of the time it's cleared or goes out for a corner but he does it so often that he registers a few own goals.

It has been a joy to watch Dunk this season, watching him I can't believe we've produced a player quite so good. Easily a top 4 player for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm surprised Crooks didn't put Dunk on the left wing.

I'm surprised he didn't have Lewes Dung up front with Conroy Goldstone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dunk has been imperious this season, just needs to add some goals now. ( in the oppositions’s net before a comedian mentions the OGs)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I wouldnt think that Wenger rates him that highly as he is said to be trying to sign David Luiz from Chelsea for £30m. I think that he has done well for us but is a bulk standard Premier CB with a few being better. Certainly not as outstanding as VVD as many on here have said irrespective of the £75m fee.

Really? So the player picked out by several pundits over the course of the season so far, a mainstay in 8 clean sheets, young for a CB, and English, and who would only cost half of what VVD left Southampton for, is only " bulk standard?
Okay

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would think that for any fee of over £20m Derek Chapman would offer to fly him there himself in his helicopter.

Why? Are we that desperate for money versus PL survival? I doubt it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am not as big a fan of Virgil Van Dijk as many others seem to be. There is no doubt he is a classy footballer on the ball but there often seems to be a lack of urgency in his defending. That said he does look good in possession of the ball.

Dunk is both good on the ball and has an urgency in his defending. He just hasn't played at this level for as long as Van Dijk has.

We hold all the aces with Dunky in that he is on a long term contract so we will dictate when he moves on and I am sure there will be offers in abundance for him in the next 2 or 3 transfer windows and if you look at the Man United defence I think their need is greater than anyone else in that part of the pitch so I could see them throwing their hat in the ring for someone like Dunk in the summer

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I am not as big a fan of Virgil Van Dijk as many others seem to be. There is no doubt he is a classy footballer on the ball but there often seems to be a lack of urgency in his defending. That said he does look good in possession of the ball.

Dunk is both good on the ball and has an urgency in his defending. He just hasn't played at this level for as long as Van Dijk has.

We hold all the aces with Dunky in that he is on a long term contract so we will dictate when he moves on and I am sure there will be offers in abundance for him in the next 2 or 3 transfer windows and if you look at the Man United defence I think their need is greater than anyone else in that part of the pitch so I could see them throwing their hat in the ring for someone like Dunk in the summer

Dunk is not that good on the ball when bringing it out of defence. He has a tendency to push it too far in front of him and then lunge when itis about to be intercepted.. His long cross field passing is just magnificent though.
I just wish, as a team, we could work out how not to concede at corners.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Really? So the player picked out by several pundits over the course of the season so far, a mainstay in 8 clean sheets, young for a CB, and English, and who would only cost half of what VVD left Southampton for, is only " bulk standard?
Okay

My bulk standard is based on the number of comparable CB whether or not they are younger or English is another point but that doesnt seem to affect the big clubs decision when buying players. None of the top 6 have gone with that criteria, most have bought foreign

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Well for a start, Bournemouth's first goal on Monday was because Cook out-jumped Duffy. The second was because Propper didn't clear the ball when he had the opportunity and then Bournemouth had a lot of luck. When you have a look at the goals we have conceded this season, I don't think he has been responsible for many at all. He's certainly been a lot stronger and more dependable than Duffy IMO. In fact I think he's had to cover for a number of mistakes by Duffy this season also. He is the real deal.

Agree with this to the extent that I'm wondering whether he shouldn't be rested and Connor Goldson given a run to play alongside Dunk?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dunk is not that good on the ball when bringing it out of defence. He has a tendency to push it too far in front of him and then lunge when itis about to be intercepted.. His long cross field passing is just magnificent though.
I just wish, as a team, we could work out how not to concede at corners.

Sorry, but that's bobbins. You could perhaps have levelled this at him a couple of years ago, as a "Dunk lunge" was a regular accident waiting to happen in the Championship. But its an aspect he's managed to cut out of his game now. He looks perfectly comfortable bringing the ball out of defence. I honestly can't recall him taking a heavy touch and dropping us in it this season at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here