Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Massive fan in peace

Owlinwolf

Jan 3, 2018
I get the feeling that if he could, he would change your name to Sheffield Chansiri. On the outside and from reading OwlsTalk, it would appear he has a massive ego and no knowledge of football whatsoever. He would also appear to being funded by his father. My worry would be, he will realise it is one massive mess and stop the funding.

Having gone through our own issues in the past, I would be very wary if I were a Wednesday fan!

:lolol: Well yes we were on the steps of the high court with the winding up order so we are very aware of what can happen which is why the expenditure on largely players past their best is a real concern. At the same time, its not a great idea to panic and create even more of a mess.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hi all, Hope you don’t mind me sticking my beak in. Seems after our play off encounters of 2016 a bit of bad blood has developed between us - probably mostly from the young uns on our respective forums I’m sure.

I don’t think there are many of us who would genuinely say we were the better side in those play offs. You had the worst luck in the first leg with injuries then absolutely blitzed is at yours. But, well, look at you now! Congratulations on reaching the Promised Land!

Anyway, my question is regarding your 2014-15 season. Can you tell me what happened? You may be aware we havin similar crisis here. A lot stems from our beloved neighbours coming up and doing very well but also from an aging squad with little pace and a manager who seeemed to stubbornly persist with the most negative football imaginable.

Basically the whole of our first team is currently injured which is a pretty big factor but that doesn’t stop the drama queens in meltdown at not being able to manage a third season promotion push.

Cheers!

Many of your fans have a chip on their shoulders, mostly the internet ones. Then again so do all clubs and I'm sure we've got some total bellends knocking around ourselves. That's about as far as it goes. Personally speaking Sheffield is one of my favourite cities and has two great clubs.

Regarding 14/15, our former manager Oscar Garcia had performed miracles to get that squad into the playoffs the previous season. We started the new campaign even weaker with an intransigent and largely incapable manager in Hyypia who set us up the same way every single game. I can see some similarities between yours and our situation back then, but they end when you consider the contrast in ownership. Thankfully we have a genuine fan and someone who cares deeply about the football club at the very top which is the root of our success and direction. The appointment of that CEO is a real concern, hope you are ready for a fight.

Owlinwolf

Jan 3, 2018
See that kind of thing would TERRIFY me. If your owner honestly thinks that this type of muddle-headed mumbo jumbo bobbins could actually have the slightest influence on the fortunes of the team, then what the hell is he thinking when it comes to the IMPORTANT stuff, like appointing a manager and...uhhh...a decent CEO ?

Its been said many times, but thank god we've got Tony Bloom, and not some clueless far-east gimp with more money than sense on an ego trip.

I see your point but its a cultural thing. I'm sure a lot of Leicester fans were a bit alarmed that Buddhist monks were being flown over in a private jet to bless the pitch and the players before every match and sit under the stands meditating. But it ended up working in a pretty big way. As long as it doesnt go too far... and a name change would be too far and definitely not accepted by anyone.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How are you doing with FFP? Has Meire been brought in to balance the books?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think that Wednesday's injury list hasn't helped the situation, not many clubs would storm up the league with that many players out. BTW, you could probably do worse than get Oscar in as your manager - he worked miracles when we had a crippling amount of injuries.

But to reiterate what others have said: it's about getting the structure right. We have an owner, CEO, head of recruitment and manager who are all excellent and work well together. Get that right and a few hiccups on the playing side can be overcome; get them wrong and you're in trouble. Wednesday's not a happy ship and I reckon it will get worse before it gets better,

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Regarding 14/15, our former manager Oscar Garcia had performed miracles to get that squad into the playoffs the previous season.

Garcia still had a core squad of Bruno, Greer, Crofts, Orlandi, Lopez, Ward, Calde, Ulloa, Upson, Lingard, JFC, March, Lua Lua, Buckley, Kuz, and Stephens (although he was injured), and Andrews. Or to put it another way he had 6 regular players who are playing in the Prem this season.
We never really replaced Barnes (after he left in Jan) or Bridcutt, the debacle over Grabban in January didn't help and the team was certainly weaker than 12/13 but miracle is probably overstating it.

Last edited:

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
I see your point but its a cultural thing. I'm sure a lot of Leicester fans were a bit alarmed that Buddhist monks were being flown over in a private jet to bless the pitch and the players before every match and sit under the stands meditating. But it ended up working in a pretty big way. As long as it doesnt go too far... and a name change would be too far and definitely not accepted by anyone.

No, you muppet, it didn't work. It was coincidental to Leicester having some really talented players and a manager that could get the best out of them.

As for going 'too far', a pre kick off 2 minute silence and memorial song played on the big screen for the king of Thailand crosses the line, doesn't it?

Owlinwolf

Jan 3, 2018
No, you muppet, it didn't work. It was coincidental to Leicester having some really talented players and a manager that could get the best out of them.

As for going 'too far', a pre kick off 2 minute silence and memorial song played on the big screen for the king of Thailand crosses the line, doesn't it?

Ok Brian, no need to start name-calling. My point is, it didn't NOT work. Whether it worked or not is getting into metaphysics which cannot be proved or disproved so futile to argue.

No the 2 minute silence and memorial for the king of Thailand did not cross the line for me. No more than the round of applause on 39 minutes for so and so's aunt who died recently and was a big fan or another minutes silence for The Hillsborough disaster 20 years on, or a minutes silence for the Uk for lady Diana etc etc. All a bit unneccessary for me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ok Brian, no need to start name-calling. My point is, it didn't NOT work. Whether it worked or not is getting into metaphysics which cannot be proved or disproved so futile to argue.

My opinion is praying has no effect. I'm happy to argue the point with you. If prayer worked every team would win every game and we'd all win the lottery every week.

Edit to add: But in the grand scheme of things, a little superstition isn't harmful, as long as you don't rely on it over more 'real' methods.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
You may well be right. The pundit was a one eyed git wasn’t he? Knocky’s winner was not a simple tap in!

I spoke briefly with one of them , Jim ? i think his name was from memory after the game , he said he had been commentating for over 20 years at football grounds up and down the country and said he had never been to a match where a crowd had effected a game so much , he actually said he felt uncomfortable being there ! i honestly can't remember much of the atmosphere at the game tbh but iv'e never seen a team of players so deflated walking off a pitch as they did that night , well maybe us 3-0 V Derby away under Hyypia .

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No. I actually don't know any wednesday fans that use owlsonline so surprised a Brighton fan is on there! :lol:

Well the amount of trolls that try to come on here, 'pretending' to be in peace or a 'massive Albion fan', I get very sceptical about their intentions.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Jordan Rhodes looks like hes a fan whos won a competition to play up front for us.

I seem to remember one extremely prolific contributor to this forum being very upset that we didn't land Rhodes gargantuan contract and suspect attitude when you did. It certainly bears remembering given our ongoing search for a striker.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Fully aware of what Charlton fans think of Meire, but i see no need to start "organizing" now. We'll give her a chance. We've been through enough crap in recent years to know when we need to step in.

Many mistakes have been made for sure, throwing cash around isnt the answer as it seems to be the case with your revival after Hyppia. Just hoping we get the right manager in.

Chansiri, the jury's out for me, he seems pretty minted which is extremely important. He seems quite a superstitious type as is typical in Thailand i gather. The "Chansiri-ising" of the ground can handle on the grounds of getting more money through FFP as sponsorship. THe badge really couldnt care less, some people just don't like change and the retro badge i probably prefer over the 80's one.

Stripes, yes we dont look like wednesday without them and i bloody hope we go back to them next season. 150th anniversary this year "Whoopee!!!" so as long as wearing Ipswich kit just for that then i can handle it.

I think his superstition is making us try different things, he got a thai buddhist priest over to do a ritual at the away end (relating to the disaster) and swapped dugouts home/away, then no stripes. Hopefully this season will convince him these things don't really matter but don't fault him for trying.

If you think that indulging in primitive superstition is ‘trying’ then you are sleepwalking towards oblivion. Take a look at the demenour of Chansiri at matches then contrast with Tony Bloom. That’s a clue as to where your problem lies.

Owlinwolf

Jan 3, 2018
Well the amount of trolls that try to come on here, 'pretending' to be in peace or a 'massive Albion fan', I get very sceptical about their intentions.

oh yeah i know we have the same, i use owlstalk but no agenda just a genuine interest in your seasons before your promotion. Suppose trying to console myself there might be a happy ending. :lol:

Appreciate everyones replies and all the best for your season hope you manage to stay up.

Cheers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here