Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Massive fan in peace

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you think that indulging in primitive superstition is ‘trying’ then you are sleepwalking towards oblivion. Take a look at the demenour of Chansiri at matches then contrast with Tony Bloom. That’s a clue as to where your problem lies.

It's similar to the Cardiff owner who thought red was a lucky colour.

We've got a great owner who doesn't get it wrong often.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Ok Brian, no need to start name-calling. My point is, it didn't NOT work. Whether it worked or not is getting into metaphysics which cannot be proved or disproved so futile to argue.

No the 2 minute silence and memorial for the king of Thailand did not cross the line for me. No more than the round of applause on 39 minutes for so and so's aunt who died recently and was a big fan or another minutes silence for The Hillsborough disaster 20 years on, or a minutes silence for the Uk for lady Diana etc etc. All a bit unneccessary for me.

King of Thailand big fan of Sheffield Wednesday and a Kop season ticket holder was he?

Minutes applauses during games only occur for deaths of significant former players or high profile fans that have done a load for the club. Ceremonies before games are generally only observed for Remembrance Sunday or, as was the case in Brighton in 2015, following local tragedies that affected a load of people.

Stick your head in the sand and keep kissing your charman's backside. I'm sure you'll be fine.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yeah - what Easy said.

Hyypia was tactically naive, and stuck to his system even when it consistently failed to deliver.The defence didn't looked drilled enough and midfield lacked shape.

We started the season with David Burke running scouting hence this utter shower:
Kemy Agustein
Toko Nzuzi
Gary Gardner
Leon Best

plus the flawed, misunderstood and underappreciated genius of Paddy McCourt.

Highlights were the signing of Beram Kayal who made an immediate impact, the performances of Texeira who was very good and the time Darren Bent scored against Fulham and ran the length of the pitch to 'Adebayored' their visiting fans.

Basically Hughton came in, Burke went out and everything changed.

Best came in after Burke left didn't he?
Though to be fair with that one, as terrible as Best was, I'm pretty sure even Hughton thought it was a long shot and our other options were a ****ed Mackail-Smith & Chris O'Grady.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The very fact that Paddy McCourt was being held up as a potential saviour by some just goes to show what a catastrophic clusterfvck that season was. Great player, if you liked seeing someone with their socks rolled down weaving round 3 players in the centre circle, and then blasting the ball high into the north stand.

Utterly useless, and the LAST type of player you'd want anywhere near the squad in a relegation battle.

I can't even begin to imagine what CH thought when he turned up and saw McCourt in training given his penchant for hard workers.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
#shudders

I remember those first games, watching the unbelievably odd tactics, watching the likes of Joe 'Hair More Important Than a Tackle' Bennett stroll through games without a care in the world. Just shows how you are only a couple of bad decisions away from disaster.
I remember watching the team "perform" and there were no tactics - the whole team was just this amorphous blob in the centre of the pitch. And, as was pointed out, Fenelon and O'Grady up front. Truly shocking

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but the appointment of that Dodgy Doris as CEO probably isn't going to help... ???

Ah ok, as simple as that? Guessing coupled of failures in play offs had a similar effect to us though? Hard to get up and go another season when so close? A bit worrying when you hear people like MClaren being touted for us... can't see him being our Hughton!

I wouldn't write him off – ex-England managers seem to be doing ok when coming to the aid of 'beleaguered' clubs this season, in the PL at least... (unfortunately)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but the appointment of that Dodgy Doris as CEO probably isn't going to help... ???

I wouldn't write him off – ex-England managers seem to be doing ok when coming to the aid of 'beleaguered' clubs this season, in the PL at least... (unfortunately)

There's usually an exception to most rules. I would reasonably expect McClaren to be that exception of past England Managers being a success.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hyypia was a disaster, and the recruitment policy was a complete and utter dogs dinner that left us with a tragic squad stuffed with kids, loanee's, cast-offs, has-beens, never-will-be's, fat wastrels, and Gary Gardner.

The writing was on the wall the first day of the season at the Amex against Massive, when our starting "strike force" consisted of O'Grady and Fenelon. I mean...christ. What were we thinking ?

Whoo there boy, i am going to defend Sammi a bit here.

Am i right in saying he was governed by Burke and did not have the freedom of recruitment like Hughton now does, in other words they fed him a load of shite to polish, well lets face it was a tough ask.

Also Hughton has also had the fortune of the biggest budget that an Albion managers had pre Premier League.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No. I actually don't know any wednesday fans that use owlsonline so surprised a Brighton fan is on there! :lol:

I sometimes read Owlstalk. Mostly to laugh when things go belly up, but I found the majority of posters very complimentary and fair, about our achievements last year.

Now I am genuinely concerned for your club's future. I wonder if it will head towards a Fans United moment?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Unfortunately now that Katrien Meire is your CEO you are no longer fans but customers. The soul will be ripped out of your club.

But it wasn't so long ago remember that our CEO was calling us "customers". He doesn't use that word publicly any longer but I'm not sure that the underlying attitude is any different.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But it wasn't so long ago remember that our CEO was calling us "customers". He doesn't use that word publicly any longer but I'm not sure that the underlying attitude is any different.

His track record is a bit better though..............and as for the owners, different planets.......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whoo there boy, i am going to defend Sammi a bit here.

Am i right in saying he was governed by Burke and did not have the freedom of recruitment like Hughton now does, in other words they fed him a load of shite to polish, well lets face it was a tough ask.

Also Hughton has also had the fortune of the biggest budget that an Albion managers had pre Premier League.

The recruitment structure at the time certainly didn't help, but my god, Hyypia didn't help himself either. Tactics that seemed to involve our fullbacks being parked no further back than the halfway line, leaving the freedom of the park to gleeful opponents as our CB's desperately tried to patrol the alarmingly wide-open spaces around them. An insistence, week in week out, on maintaining our Axis of Feeble, JFC and Gardner in the middle of the park. Post-match interviews so monotone and morose after the latest defeat, it led to reports of some fans self-harming on their way home from games. Added to the fact he generally carried himself with all the energy and charisma of an elderly badger cripplingly afflicted with the latter stages of bovine tuberculosis.

He may not have had the advantages afforded Sir Chris. But nothing he has done since leaving us would lead me to believe we passed up a gem there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I sometimes read Owlstalk. Mostly to laugh when things go belly up, but I found the majority of posters very complimentary and fair, about our achievements last year.

Now I am genuinely concerned for your club's future. I wonder if it will head towards a Fans United moment?

Come on, they're hardly about to lose their ground or go out of business. There'll be more years of underachievement (quite standard by now) and maybe even another dip into the 3rd tier, but lets keep things in perspective. Their very existence is not under threat.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Forget the team forget the Manager your problem is now your new Chief executive Katrien Meire - your club is now in freefall, good luck in league 2 in 2020, if you are still in business. As fans you need to get yourselves organised NOW before its too late.

Meire is there? Oh my. Well Wednesday are doomed if she behaves in the same way as she did at Charlton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Offering a refund to all STHs for the last ten home games - dire straits to say the least

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I suppose to go back a bit further from the Hyypia season, the Poyet team from two seasons before was completely dismantled throughout the following 12 months. Garcia crept into the playoffs with Poyet's team, although I don't think anyone gave us much of a chance of promotion and we were duly hammered by Derby. We lost Ashley Barnes and Liam Bridcutt half way through that season (arguably in the mind a bit earlier) - but then after Garcia left we sold/let go Matt Upson, Will Buckley, Tomas Kuszczak, Andrea Orlandi, David Lopez and Leo Ulloa, and didn't replace key loan players Keith Andrews and Stephen Ward.

So we can blame Burke's recruitment and Hyypia's management, justifiably in both cases, but they had a lot of key players to replace.

Certainly started with the end of the Poyet era. Don't think Hyppia would have succeeded even with a decent squad but mistakes were made toward the end of the Poyet spell and thereafter for a while. Oscar managed it very well but must have seen the writing on the wall. Burke gets grief, and rightly so, but was lauded by the club and fans alike initially and by the club for a long while. We were fed the great story of the Burke/Albion recruitment technique at that time with much research on players attitude and approach aside from their football ability. I remember Barber lauding both the approach and Burke's role whilst we were presented with the likes of Kemy. Something was obviously wrong with the implementation of the approach but it lasted a long long time. So even with the right Chairman, CEO and a proven recruitment head (Watford previously??) it was still going in the wrong direction at that time.

Bloom is the best chairman out there I believe, better than Gibson et al, but we should be thankful for Hyppia deciding to resign. Sounded very much like he would have been kept on due to the statistical analysis indicating he wasn't too far off. Poyet and the Hyppia experience taught Bloom and Barber a great deal I believe, which supported Chris Hughton's work greatly. It could all have been so different and it took great leadership to reflect and learn from previous mistakes. Can't see Chansiri doing so though and hence your problems may well continue.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I honestly cannot believe how little other fans care about who runs their club.

We are so bloody lucky.

Chasing success, at any cost easily blurs a fan's perspective, especially in the Championship where the only way to not make a loss is to get promoted.

Without Tony Bloom heaven knows where we'd be now.

Come on, they're hardly about to lose their ground or go out of business. There'll be more years of underachievement (quite standard by now) and maybe even another dip into the 3rd tier, but lets keep things in perspective. Their very existence is not under threat.

It doesn't take much to set a club on a slide that way though - a relegation to Lg1 with an expensive squad, plus owners / Chief Execs who don't give a shit and then want their money back can easily lead to a spiral of decline.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008

There is if the egotistical chairman gets bored with owning a football club and decides to cut his losses and start asset stripping. Do you really think that this ex Charlton bird has been brought in to implement popular decisions?

Would give her one though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here