Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Massive fan in peace

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Reading through this thread makes me realise that - not that we didn't already know it - how well set up and run Brighton & Hove Albion is.

We had a diabolical first half of 2014/15 (six months - which felt like six years), and a slightly more satisfying second half, but only insofar as we didn't go down. That the likes of 4-4-2 Magazine predicted our slump of a relegation in the 2015/16 season shows what not paying attention does. The point is Hughton was given his head to do what he needed to do by a board which places great faith and trust with those who actually know how to do their job. To be fair, they did the same for Sami, and Tony gave him as much opportunity as possible to turn it around - but it was not to be.

Right man at the wrong time? Maybe. Listening to some players - esp. Calde - they believed Hyppia's ideas were excellent, the club just didn't have the personnel to fulfill the roles adequately. It would have taken too long to replace what we had with what was needed - far too much of a gear crunch for the club to handle.

We look back on it now as a mere blip - like Hyppia's time here was a mere unwanted growth that needed excising and - 'woof!' - it was done quickly and concisely.

But during that time, it was utter shite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The recruitment structure at the time certainly didn't help, but my god, Hyypia didn't help himself either. Tactics that seemed to involve our fullbacks being parked no further back than the halfway line, leaving the freedom of the park to gleeful opponents as our CB's desperately tried to patrol the alarmingly wide-open spaces around them. An insistence, week in week out, on maintaining our Axis of Feeble, JFC and Gardner in the middle of the park. Post-match interviews so monotone and morose after the latest defeat, it led to reports of some fans self-harming on their way home from games. Added to the fact he generally carried himself with all the energy and charisma of an elderly badger cripplingly afflicted with the latter stages of bovine tuberculosis.

He may not have had the advantages afforded Sir Chris. But nothing he has done since leaving us would lead me to believe we passed up a gem there.

Bang goes my gall bladder :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would give her one though.

Only 2 feet tall, but with MASSIVE knees. It's a no from me.

katrien-meire-charlton-athletic-football-club-ceo-with-keith-peacock-F110EF.jpg

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Some great comments on here. This question / thread makes me remember the photo that the club posted the day after our 15/16 play off campaign ended. Everybody was back in the boardroom to go through the plan for our next season. Brighton is an incredibly well organised and professionally run club. Much like a 'normal' business, you need as many good people in the right positions, a solid plan and the resources to execute the plan. You need contingencies if you miss out on your goals.

I remember at the time, reading a load of piss take comments on social media from other teams' fans. But it's obvious that a professionally-run club is giving itself a far better chance at success than one run by amateurs. Of course most football people don't regard themselves as amateurs but that is very likely what they are.

Our owner is a highly successful businessman in the football analytics industry - its highly relevant. He is also a lifelong fan. But I think more importantly he understands his role and knows what he doesn't know - he takes care in appointing the right people and let's them do their job. I dream of a boss like that.
Our CEO is a very experienced football administrator, go and look at what he has achieved in his various roles. Sure he'll get shit for caring too much about the 'business' side of things, but this stuff isn't a game, the BHAFC organisation is a significant company and needs to be run properly, like any company with costs, employees, 'customers', etc.
Our manager is a consummate professional. Proven to be successful at that level, with the appropriate support and patience. Brilliant appointment for us.

It is a difficult mix getting it right, and there is only one prize so all clubs are competing for the same thing, meaning your control of your own destiny is very limited. Therefore you must give yourself every possible advantage. You could spend an absolute fortune simply getting the best individual players, but it's never that simple. Equally, you could have a very good manager, decent team but a batshit owner (NUFC) - it's not enough. In a way, the players aren't the hardest thing to sort out, as proved by Wagner, Dyche and many others. There are far fewer great owners / CEOs / managers than there are players out there.

So I'd say that is the secret sauce; balance in the entire 'team', the right approach, a solid plan and the desire / momentum / belief to deliver. Which is true if you want to give yourself the best chance in any team / project / business / undertaking.

Best of luck.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hi all, Hope you don’t mind me sticking my beak in. Seems after our play off encounters of 2016 a bit of bad blood has developed between us - probably mostly from the young uns on our respective forums I’m sure.

I don’t think there are many of us who would genuinely say we were the better side in those play offs. You had the worst luck in the first leg with injuries then absolutely blitzed is at yours. But, well, look at you now! Congratulations on reaching the Promised Land!

Anyway, my question is regarding your 2014-15 season. Can you tell me what happened? You may be aware we havin similar crisis here. A lot stems from our beloved neighbours coming up and doing very well but also from an aging squad with little pace and a manager who seeemed to stubbornly persist with the most negative football imaginable.

Basically the whole of our first team is currently injured which is a pretty big factor but that doesn’t stop the drama queens in meltdown at not being able to manage a third season promotion push.

Cheers!

Not every Brighton fan hates Sheffield Weds, matey. There was clearly a bit of a needle between our teams the last couple of seasons but it was all pantomime stuff and I'd love to see Wednesday back in the top flight. One of the most historic football grounds in the country, a noisy crowd and great location for an away day. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Getting rid of Carlos was fairly stupid to me - sets his teams up very well and pretty honest his post match interviews

Even if Swansea go down would expect them to do ok if stick with Carlos in long run

Dread to think who SW get next

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Some great comments on here. This question / thread makes me remember the photo that the club posted the day after our 15/16 play off campaign ended. Everybody was back in the boardroom to go through the plan for our next season. Brighton is an incredibly well organised and professionally run club. Much like a 'normal' business, you need as many good people in the right positions, a solid plan and the resources to execute the plan. You need contingencies if you miss out on your goals.

I remember at the time, reading a load of piss take comments on social media from other teams' fans. But it's obvious that a professionally-run club is giving itself a far better chance at success than one run by amateurs. Of course most football people don't regard themselves as amateurs but that is very likely what they are.

Our owner is a highly successful businessman in the football analytics industry - its highly relevant. He is also a lifelong fan. But I think more importantly he understands his role and knows what he doesn't know - he takes care in appointing the right people and let's them do their job. I dream of a boss like that.
Our CEO is a very experienced football administrator, go and look at what he has achieved in his various roles. Sure he'll get shit for caring too much about the 'business' side of things, but this stuff isn't a game, the BHAFC organisation is a significant company and needs to be run properly, like any company with costs, employees, 'customers', etc.
Our manager is a consummate professional. Proven to be successful at that level, with the appropriate support and patience. Brilliant appointment for us.

It is a difficult mix getting it right, and there is only one prize so all clubs are competing for the same thing, meaning your control of your own destiny is very limited. Therefore you must give yourself every possible advantage. You could spend an absolute fortune simply getting the best individual players, but it's never that simple. Equally, you could have a very good manager, decent team but a batshit owner (NUFC) - it's not enough. In a way, the players aren't the hardest thing to sort out, as proved by Wagner, Dyche and many others. There are far fewer great owners / CEOs / managers than there are players out there.

So I'd say that is the secret sauce; balance in the entire 'team', the right approach, a solid plan and the desire / momentum / belief to deliver. Which is true if you want to give yourself the best chance in any team / project / business / undertaking.

Best of luck.

That's all very well, but you can't be satisfied with the toilets at The Amex.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Getting rid of Carlos was fairly stupid to me - sets his teams up very well and pretty honest his post match interviews

Even if Swansea go down would expect them to do ok if stick with Carlos in long run

I thought Carlos left by mutual consent? He certainly went to Swansea in a very short time.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
oh yeah i know we have the same, i use owlstalk but no agenda just a genuine interest in your seasons before your promotion. Suppose trying to console myself there might be a happy ending. [emoji38]

Appreciate everyones replies and all the best for your season hope you manage to stay up.

Cheers.
At least you can now get a 'conditional' refund on your season ticket [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Not sure. Massively over-spent on a selection of dross over the last year. Very good first year and then they seemed to change the way the played to a very defensive ponderous style and have been poor ever since. Reckon they’ll do better with someone else.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure. Massively over-spent on a selection of dross over the last year. Very good first year and then they seemed to change the way the played to a very defensive ponderous style and have been poor ever since. Reckon they’ll do better with someone else.

His biggest mistake was not getting in better defenders imo. Given how much they spent on strikers it was, from the outside, bizarre that he neglected the defence.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I do love a bit of banter and Wednesday fans are pretty good for that:lolol::lolol:

Strangely enough I've been very intrigued in how you lot are doing more than any other club in that wonderful division and I generally mean that.I've watched a few games and highlights and still see you as a side that lacks pace and skill and as we all know you need this to get out of the league.

Sadly you're stuck with very average players that many clubs won't be interested in and let's be brutally honest you have hardly any great assets in players unlike many other clubs in that division.

How many players over £4 million do you have seriously as I wouldn't pay much more than £2 million and that includes the donkey Rhodes :lolol:

All the best but tough times ahead again and the very poor recruitment of snails and donkeys has finished you off and these useless idiots are probably well overpaid no doubt.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I spoke briefly with one of them , Jim ? i think his name was from memory after the game , he said he had been commentating for over 20 years at football grounds up and down the country and said he had never been to a match where a crowd had effected a game so much , he actually said he felt uncomfortable being there ! i honestly can't remember much of the atmosphere at the game tbh but iv'e never seen a team of players so deflated walking off a pitch as they did that night , well maybe us 3-0 V Derby away under Hyypia .

I could watch that game every week, and still get over-excited!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just reading through this. Like Mouldy Boots, I think Sami wasn't as awful as people are remembering (he lost fewer games than Hughton - 9 v 10; we never won a point when trailing under Hughton that season, we won 7 points from losing positions under Hyypia - his problem was the number of draws).

Sami had a good start to management in Germany. When he came to us, his assistant didn't want to come with him, so Sami had to find a new assistant, and I think maybe didn't get the ideal one (eg someone who complements your strengths and weakness). Player recruitment was not great.

But I think what isn't given enough 'credit' is simply: momentum. Winning breeds confidence, but losing breeds self-doubt.

We walked away from our first few games of the season wondering how on earth we lost. The first three home games of the season we faced 4 shots on target and conceded 4 goals. We took 57 shots, 17 on target and score 4. We were dominating games and losing. I think players perhaps started to doubt the tactics or stopped believing. That led to our performances dropping, and our belief dropping, so in games when we were winning we contrived to draw by expecting to concede because we had in previous games. When we were losing but managed we drew level we thought that was the best we could do. Momentum played a much bigger part than people seem to account for.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here