Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Massive fan in peace

Owlinwolf

Jan 3, 2018
Hi all, Hope you don’t mind me sticking my beak in. Seems after our play off encounters of 2016 a bit of bad blood has developed between us - probably mostly from the young uns on our respective forums I’m sure.

I don’t think there are many of us who would genuinely say we were the better side in those play offs. You had the worst luck in the first leg with injuries then absolutely blitzed is at yours. But, well, look at you now! Congratulations on reaching the Promised Land!

Anyway, my question is regarding your 2014-15 season. Can you tell me what happened? You may be aware we havin similar crisis here. A lot stems from our beloved neighbours coming up and doing very well but also from an aging squad with little pace and a manager who seeemed to stubbornly persist with the most negative football imaginable.

Basically the whole of our first team is currently injured which is a pretty big factor but that doesn’t stop the drama queens in meltdown at not being able to manage a third season promotion push.

Cheers!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We made a bad appointment in Sami Hyypia, and then a great one in Hughton.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Your biggest problem is the CEO you have just appointed. We made a bad managerial appointment and some of our recruitment was poor that year, but the foundations were right. Your owner seems hell bent on pulling apart the club.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Hi all, Hope you don’t mind me sticking my beak in. Seems after our play off encounters of 2016 a bit of bad blood has developed between us - probably mostly from the young uns on our respective forums I’m sure.

I don’t think there are many of us who would genuinely say we were the better side in those play offs. You had the worst luck in the first leg with injuries then absolutely blitzed is at yours. But, well, look at you now! Congratulations on reaching the Promised Land!

Anyway, my question is regarding your 2014-15 season. Can you tell me what happened? You may be aware we havin similar crisis here. A lot stems from our beloved neighbours coming up and doing very well but also from an aging squad with little pace and a manager who seeemed to stubbornly persist with the most negative football imaginable.

Basically the whole of our first team is currently injured which is a pretty big factor but that doesn’t stop the drama queens in meltdown at not being able to manage a third season promotion push.

Cheers!

Forget the team forget the Manager your problem is now your new Chief executive Katrien Meire - your club is now in freefall, good luck in league 2 in 2020, if you are still in business. As fans you need to get yourselves organised NOW before its too late.

Owlinwolf

Jan 3, 2018
We made a bad appointment in Sami Hyypia, and then a great one in Hughton.

Ah ok, as simple as that? Guessing coupled of failures in play offs had a similar effect to us though? Hard to get up and go another season when so close? A bit worrying when you hear people like MClaren being touted for us... can't see him being our Hughton!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hyypia was a disaster, and the recruitment policy was a complete and utter dogs dinner that left us with a tragic squad stuffed with kids, loanee's, cast-offs, has-beens, never-will-be's, fat wastrels, and Gary Gardner.

The writing was on the wall the first day of the season at the Amex against Massive, when our starting "strike force" consisted of O'Grady and Fenelon. I mean...christ. What were we thinking ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Owlinwolf

Jan 3, 2018
Your biggest problem is the CEO you have just appointed. We made a bad managerial appointment and some of our recruitment was poor that year, but the foundations were right. Your owner seems hell bent on pulling apart the club.

Yes the timing of that is extremely worrying. When you are hoping for something, anything to give your spirits a lift, he appoints one of the most despised and failed football CEOs in the land. Utterly baffling.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne

Cheers!

Unfortunately now that Katrien Meire is your CEO you are no longer fans but customers. The soul will be ripped out of your club.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Cheers!
Not sure it's bad blood. But there was a general view here that SW (and Leeds) appear to look down their noses at teams such as Brighton who have the cheek to outperform their historic expectations. So not much sympathy when you have come unstuck. I've had decent chats with Owls who've been down here for midweek games, recalling FACup SFs and other old clashes.
2014, we took a gamble on Hyppia and it failed miserably, not helped by some dodgy recruitment (eg OGrady). Fortunately, we went for Hughton, took our medicine that season and, as you kindly say, look at us now. Secret, such that it is, has been team spirit and a pragmatic approach.
I fear for you a bit because you must have a huge wage bill with older players who may struggle to dig in. But you have enough quality not to go down. If you get the appointment right, you will go again. Persuading fans to be patient is difficult in this day and age, mind.
PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hyypia was a dreadful, untried manager, who was mercifully followed by Hughton, and supported and temporarily succeeded by Nathan Jones, who's currently working wonders at Luton.
All we heard before that season was FFP, and we sold a number of players, and replaced them with dross. When Hyypia went, our Chief of Football, who looked after recruitment, was also given the boot. Since then, we've got a quite brilliant Head of Recruitment, who has identified under-the-radar players of excellent quality. He's only really made one mistake out of c15 signings, although we still need a striker.

I see your problems as slightly different. You have spent an awful lot of money, much more than we did, and have certain talented but egotistical players that hinder the collective ethos: FF and JR. I'm not so sure your defence is that good either, especially when compared to ours.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hyypia was a disaster, and the recruitment policy was a complete and utter dogs dinner that left us with a tragic squad stuffed with kids, loanee's, cast-offs, has-beens, never-will-be's, fat wastrels, and Gary Gardner.

The writing was on the wall the first day of the season at the Amex against Massive, when our starting "strike force" consisted of O'Grady and Fenelon. I mean...christ. What were we thinking ?

#shudders

I remember those first games, watching the unbelievably odd tactics, watching the likes of Joe 'Hair More Important Than a Tackle' Bennett stroll through games without a care in the world. Just shows how you are only a couple of bad decisions away from disaster.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Not sure it's bad blood. But there was a general view here that SW (and Leeds) appear to look down their noses at teams such as Brighton who have the cheek to outperform their historic expectations. So not much sympathy when you have come unstuck. I've had decent chats with Owls who've been down here for midweek games, recalling FACup SFs and other old clashes.
2014, we took a gamble on Hyppia and it failed miserably, not helped by some dodgy recruitment (eg OGrady). Fortunately, we went for Hughton, took our medicine that season and, as you kindly say, look at us now. Secret, such that it is, has been team spirit and a pragmatic approach.
I fear for you a bit because you must have a huge wage bill with older players who may struggle to dig in. But you have enough quality not to go down. If you get the appointment right, you will go again. Persuading fans to be patient is difficult in this day and age, mind.
PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You forgot the bit about a decent chairman /owner who has history in the city and the club in his blood .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Cheers!

If you thought the players and manager have been the problem, that now pales into insignificance with the new CEO. Pop over to the Charlton forum for a view on her.

Owlinwolf

Jan 3, 2018
Hyypia was a dreadful, untried manager, who was mercifully followed by Hughton, and supported and temporarily succeeded by Nathan Jones, who's currently working wonders at Luton.
All we heard before that season was FFP, and we sold a number of players, and replaced them with dross. When Hyypia went, our Chief of Football, who looked after recruitment, was also given the boot. Since then, we've got a quite brilliant Head of Recruitment, who has identified under-the-radar players of excellent quality. He's only really made one mistake out of c15 signings, although we still need a striker.

I see your problems as slightly different. You have spent an awful lot of money, much more than we did, and have certain talented but egotistical players that hinder the collective ethos: FF and JR. I'm not so sure your defence is that good either, especially when compared to ours.

Sounds very familiar, barring one or two successes our recruitment has been a shambles. Millions of pounds of signings who can't get a game or have been pepetually injured since signing. Jordan Rhodes looks like hes a fan whos won a competition to play up front for us. And yes as great as Forestieri has been as a player he lost most of his effectiveness after refusing to play against Norwich over pay/agent issues.

Couple with inflated ticket prices and negative football - we had one or two shots on goal in our games in November.. Fans aint happy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
#shudders

I remember those first games, watching the unbelievably odd tactics, watching the likes of Joe 'Hair More Important Than a Tackle' Bennett stroll through games without a care in the world. Just shows how you are only a couple of bad decisions away from disaster.

Fancy another shudder ? Check out our subs bench that first game: Dunk, Agustein, CMS, Chicksen, Toko, Buckley, Walton

Yikes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here