Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] First important debate of 2018 - roast potatoes...

Do you pre-bash your roasties?

• Peeled

Votes: 77 77.8%
  • Unpeeled - skins on

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Either / doesn't matter

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't think I've played shirts v skins since I was at school.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If Goose fat makes perfect Christmas roasties why do they seem to be only roasted in goose fat at Christmas.
Nobody has mentioned Goose fat yet, it is available all year round you know, yet it is stocked up to the ceiling in the supermarkets at Christmas and sells out.
I find Christmas a bizzare time of the year.
Anyway the answer is.... roast them in goose fat.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

produkt-12491.jpg

Hmmmm - slightly bigger than I thought

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Peel and bung them in the Actifry

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
"This is torture, at its most bizarre and terrible." - Batman, yet another poll. :ban:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Mrs BG uses Naris Piper potatoes as an essential, par boils them and fluffs them up in a colander or the saucepan and lets them get cold. Sets the oven at 220 and puts cold oil over them then place in the oven. End result lovely crisp roasties to die for.

Ticks all the boxes for me.

Letting them to go cold actually means the excess water has been allowed to steam off.

But I don't bother peeling before boiling. It's so much easier after boiling.

Also since a lot of flavour is in the skin, although you remove it - it adds to the flavour to the flesh.

I think it's even more essential with mashed potatoes to boil with skins ON.

A potato ricer just pulls the skins off and the potatoes have more of a potato flavour.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If Goose fat makes perfect Christmas roasties why do they seem to be only roasted in goose fat at Christmas.
Nobody has mentioned Goose fat yet, it is available all year round you know, yet it is stocked up to the ceiling in the supermarkets at Christmas and sells out.
I find Christmas a bizzare time of the year.
Anyway the answer is.... roast them in goose fat.

Post 11.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Cooked them in balsamic vinegar this Christmas with garlic and thyme. Fvcking superb!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im surprised there is any debate, not sure i've had roasties with skins. sounds awfully like potato wedges.

Par boil with skins on THEN peel.

They are easier to peel when cooked. It comes off with a blunt knife (*)

interesting maverick option.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My nan used to use an old Irish tradition of adding a coating of flour before cooking.
Used to make them very tasty and crispy.
Still the best I've tasted, don't tell the wife :)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Seriously though, I tried it with skin on and it was nowhere near as good. You don't get that amazing crust where the fluffy potato has soaked up the oil and fat and it just tasted like a wedge.

I'm not against all oven cooked potato with skins on, go to a Portuguese restaurant and try Batatas a Murro, bloody lovely with some grilled fish or meat, but in a straight up battle of an English roast potato the peeled one wins every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here