Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Trevor Sinclair

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In the news link Sinclair goes on to blame someone being racist to him earlier in the evening. Tw@t has only got himself to blame for the drink driving though.

I would question how this can even begin to be used as a defence in the case against him. How can this begin to make his (or any) racist comments acceptable in any way, shape or form?

Surely his role in the kick it out campaign, (as well as just decent human behaviour you'd hope) would mean that he (and everyone else for that matter) should see it as something that should never be acceptable or justifiable under any circumstances.
- I mean, as a result of using this excuse, would Trevor Sinclair have then thought it would have become acceptable for the copper he racially abused to have then gone and racially abused someone else in turn afterwards, just because he had been on the end of that racial abuse? (and for that person to then racially abuse someone else, and so on......?)
Or what if someone had shouted racial abuse at a player on a sports field, would it be deemed ok if the offender had been on the receiving end of some racial abuse himself earlier? - Of course not, yet he has still offered it as a defence against the charges - unbelievable.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If you're going to put yourself up as a spokesman for a worthy campaign, any foibles will undermine the campaign, so it's important to be whiter than white.

Racist.

Reported.

Good luck with that. :facepalm:

You may be surprised to learn that irony isn't the thing your missus uses to get the creases out of your shirt.

The irony of that last post is that you didn't recognise Hillian1's irony. Now that is irony.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Like him but really out of order: Big Cheese in Kick it Out campaign found guilty of racial abuse. End of media career?

If he was white it would be the end of his career , hes black so it wont be

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
In the news link Sinclair goes on to blame someone being racist to him earlier in the evening. Tw@t has only got himself to blame for the drink driving though.

yeah because that doesnt sound like a crap , false excuse does it. :lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I've no problems with throwing the book at him for drink driving but what would be nice would be if the apology for the racist abuse is taken for what it is and that anti-racist groups and people on social media recognise this when similar drunken racist rants occur in future from whichever colour person spouts it.

Too many people are getting metaphorically crucified in the court of public opinion and losing everything because of momentary lapses. Race relations would be improved immeasurably if we could all be a bit more accepting of a contrite apology and promise never to be such a prat in future.

spot on talking sense as usual mate

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've no problems with throwing the book at him for drink driving but what would be nice would be if the apology for the racist abuse is taken for what it is and that anti-racist groups and people on social media recognise this when similar drunken racist rants occur in future from whichever colour person spouts it.

Too many people are getting metaphorically crucified in the court of public opinion and losing everything because of momentary lapses. Race relations would be improved immeasurably if we could all be a bit more accepting of a contrite apology and promise never to be such a prat in future.
Completely agree with the sentiment but I'm struggling to think of a situation when (however pissed) I'd racially abuse anyone.

I got jumped by a bunch of asian lads when I was on the way back from the pub one night about 20 years ago. Basically it was one dickhead backed up by a bunch of his mates but I thought I was going to get a serious kicking as I was taking a shortcut through a little estate and was cornered in an alley.

Stood my ground with the dickhead, asking why he'd started on me (he made up some shit about hearing me say something racist as I walked past him) and we ended up in a standoff, hands round throats as his mates stood there and I expected a punch to the back of the head, and the rest.

Fortunately the other blokes realised that he was being a cock (when he admitted I didn't say anything but "that's the sort of thing you people do") and didn't pile in. I shoved him against the wall, called him a racist **** and walked off down the alleyway, fully expecting to get taken down by them all before I reached the street.

Point being, self preservation notwithstanding, even when I got out of the alley and knew I was safe I never considered shouting anything racist at the prick and I'm not sure there could be a more appropriate moment.

When is a drunken racist rant actually acceptable?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It ‘s just amazing how easy it is for drink to ruin a life and career. Some of these people on the gravy train just don’t have a clue how lucky and privileged they are.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When is a drunken racist rant actually acceptable?

It's not acceptable at all and I would never try to argue that it was but drinking makes you do silly things you wouldn't ordinarily do. If Sinclair was racially abused and then angrily got on it then I can see how it might have happened. That's no excuse for what he did. He's apologised and the embarrassment should be enough and I'd hope other one-off incidents can also be judged similarly.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would question how this can even begin to be used as a defence in the case against him. How can this begin to make his (or any) racist comments acceptable in any way, shape or form?

Surely his role in the kick it out campaign, (as well as just decent human behaviour you'd hope) would mean that he (and everyone else for that matter) should see it as something that should never be acceptable or justifiable under any circumstances.
- I mean, as a result of using this excuse, would Trevor Sinclair have then thought it would have become acceptable for the copper he racially abused to have then gone and racially abused someone else in turn afterwards, just because he had been on the end of that racial abuse? (and for that person to then racially abuse someone else, and so on......?)
Or what if someone had shouted racial abuse at a player on a sports field, would it be deemed ok if the offender had been on the receiving end of some racial abuse himself earlier? - Of course not, yet he has still offered it as a defence against the charges - unbelievable.

yeah because that doesnt sound like a crap , false excuse does it. :lolol:

Just read the link again and noticed Sinclair used the solicitor Nick Freeman - Mr Loophole.
Just a guess, but maybe the story about Sinclair being racially abused earlier in the evening before his arrest....just didn't happen.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just a guess, but maybe the story about Sinclair being racially abused earlier in the evening before his arrest....just didn't happen.

I'm all for giving him the benefit of the doubt. In some ways this might make Sinclair a better spokesman for the Kick It Out campaign in the future because it's given him plenty of time to think about how silly one-offs can really mess up people's lives and he's proof that racism/bigotry isn't a one-way street.

I'm thinking specifically about racist or homophobic abuse at football matches. I want to see homophobic abuse banished from football but would much prefer that first offences are dealt with by apology and education rather than three year bans or court sentences. I reckon Trevor Sinclair might also agree with me here.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Just read the link again and noticed Sinclair used the solicitor Nick Freeman - Mr Loophole.

i took that as a given anyway

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I'm all for giving him the benefit of the doubt. In some ways this might make Sinclair a better spokesman for the Kick It Out campaign in the future because it's given him plenty of time to think about how silly one-offs can really mess up people's lives and he's proof that racism/bigotry isn't a one-way street.

I'm thinking specifically about racist or homophobic abuse at football matches. I want to see homophobic abuse banished from football but would much prefer that first offences are dealt with by apology and education rather than three year bans or court sentences. I reckon Trevor Sinclair might also agree with me here.

So you are saying that we are at the point that black racists are equal to homophobics along the road to enlightenment... not sure how to think about that. I dont think it should be excused in any way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here