Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many goals do we need to score to stay up?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We have currently scored just 17 goals from 22 games, only West Brom have scored less (15).

So how many do we need? At the current rate (17 from 22 games) we will score 29 goals this season.

The fewest goals scored by a surviving team in the last few seasons has never been lower than 33:

16-17 Burnley 39
15-16 WBA 34
14-15 Sunderland/Aston Villa 31
13-14 Palace 33
12-13 Stoke 34
11-12 Stoke 36
10-11 Wigan 40

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
if we could stop the instant "defensive" mindset when we score a goal, we may actually get some wins, especially at home.

Score, sit back - invite teams on, concede.... try not to lose the game........

this sequence needs to read

score......try to score again......possibly concede....try to score again

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Just need to get more clinical. We created enough decent chances to win yesterday, even conceding two poor goals.
If our defence stays as tight as it's generally been, we may only need another 12-14 goals in our remaining games to achieve survival (or let's say four wins and three draws).
However, I'm hoping for rather better than that :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We only need to score another 6 goals this season to stay up.

6, 1-0 wins takes us to 41 points and into the safety zone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's odd to be in January and still firmly believe this seasons top goal scorer still doesn't play for the club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
if we could stop the instant "defensive" mindset when we score a goal, we may actually get some wins, especially at home.

Score, sit back - invite teams on, concede.... try not to lose the game........

this sequence needs to read

score......try to score again......possibly concede....try to score again

I don't think this happened yesterday. After both goals for at least 15 - 20mins I thought we looked the more likely to score the next. It was actually after our opponent regrouped, changed formation after the 2nd and took more risks that things actually changed, and even then took hell of a lot of lucky deflections to finally equalise.

Disagree with you that this happened yesterday, and definitely wasn't instant.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I don't think this happened yesterday. After both goals for at least 15 - 20mins I thought we looked the more likely to score the next. It was actually after our opponent regrouped, changed formation after the 2nd and took more risks that things actually changed, and even then took hell of a lot of lucky deflections to finally equalise.

Disagree with you that this happened yesterday, and definitely wasn't instant.

I think after the second yesterday we went straight on the back foot for a couple of minutes but that was more them going for a quick equaliser. After that though we did start to break them down more again. But I think that is usual for most teams and, like you say, not a sign of us sitting back immediately.

we have been spoilt in recent years and to be honest I don't care if we get all 0-0 draws from here and stay up with that

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
3 points against each Stoke West Brom and Swansea and then draws will be sufficient IMHO. They came into it more with their substitutions and for the last few minutes there only looked to be gonna be 1 winner and that was not us although we had chances.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
How long's a piece of string?
It's not simply about scoring, it's a case of not conceding stupid goals and making sure we try to take all 3 points when we get our noses in front.
We could score another 20 goals but go and let in another 40.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We have currently scored just 17 goals from 22 games, only West Brom have scored less (15).

So how many do we need? At the current rate (17 from 22 games) we will score 29 goals this season.

The fewest goals scored by a surviving team in the last few seasons has never been lower than 33:

16-17 Burnley 39
15-16 WBA 34
14-15 Sunderland/Aston Villa 31
13-14 Palace 33
12-13 Stoke 34
11-12 Stoke 36
10-11 Wigan 40

What is interesting, is that Palace didn't just stay up with 33 goals, they were 11th with 45 points! Wolves survived in 2010 only scoring 32, Stoke finished 11th with 47pts and only 34 goals.

We definitely need more goals, but as with yesterday it is the GA column that is just as important.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What is interesting, is that Palace didn't just stay up with 33 goals, they were 11th with 45 points! Wolves survived in 2010 only scoring 32, Stoke finished 11th with 47pts and only 34 goals.

We definitely need more goals, but as with yesterday it is the GA column that is just as important.

Stoke have consistently scored an unbelievably small amount of goals, over the last 5 seasons.
The writing is definitely on the wall for them, somewhat akin to Sunderland.

It's that level of 'need' to be in the Premier League, at all costs (looking at you WBA, palace, et al) that I hope the Albion don't fall into.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's that level of 'need' to be in the Premier League, at all costs (looking at you WBA, palace, et al) that I hope the Albion don't fall into.

Indeed. Hence my post about Norwich and Hughton on another thread. Careful what you wish for football fans.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Some.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here