Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So how much will it take to land Dembele?...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We've known since April that we need at least one, preferably 2 strikers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Do you need telling again? It’s very difficult to sign strikers of the required quality....for Brighton :wink:

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Do you need telling again? It’s very difficult to sign strikers of the required quality....for Brighton :wink:

I agree. It's easy to sign "any old striker" but the ones we need to improve our team tend to want Champions League football or play for an historically/tradionally well known club.

A good example of this is when we tried to sign Dzeko in the last summer transfer window. He chose to go to Monaco instead.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I’ve read that his work rate is an attribute not an issue.

However.

I suspect we have a few irons in the fire and they’ll all be told that we’re signing a striker before West Brom. It’s then up to them ans their agents to push a deal through. I suspect Dembele’s agent wants to do business on the last day of the window (to get the maximum bidders in place) so I doubt Moussa will be wearing our stripes anytime soon.

Sounds like his agent wants to get the best price, so it will get strung out to the end of the transfer window, when we will miss out, and NSC will all want to know why we didn't get this done earlier?

I'll be devil's advocate again! We don't know if the club has missed a trick - we are not privy to the dealings. Personally, I have complete faith in Tony Bloom to do the right thing in terms of risk and reward but you can't expect that of everyone. It is definitely the case that the last window didn't go to plan and I am sure any lessons there will have been heeded. You can't do much about failed medicals or last day collapses but you can insist it doesn't go to the last day or you'll have to go elsewhere. I will be very surprised if we are not back in for Andone and I will be even more surprised if we were prepared to wait for Depor to bring in a replacement this time.

You're right again, nobody outside the club knows whether the club did miss a trick or if we were just extremely unlucky or somewhere in between. But that doesn't stop others on here automatically assuming they did cock it up.

Who knows the truth? Maybe the people who blame the club are right and we did cock it up or maybe people like you and I are being naive in trusting the club did their best are right?

I know which version I believe to be true. I accepted Barber's explanation of why it didn't work out as we all wanted and until I see any evidence that his explanation was incorrect I'm happy to accept his word.

But people like conspiracy theories!!!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like his agent wants to get the best price, so it will get strung out to the end of the transfer window, when we will miss out, and NSC will all want to know why we didn't get this done earlier?

Would it be very naive to suggest we stick a time limit on our offers? If the player we are after doesn’t sign by the deadline we move on to the next target? Would put a stop to being strung along whilst the agent looks for better offers and us ending up with nobody...again.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Yes. Remind me again.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
It is likely to be a 3 week trail of ifs and maybes, followed by a flurry of also rans being in the frame, followed by a Spurs fringe striker turning us down at the last minute.... or maybe it will be better than August, who bloody knows!!??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
IMO Brighton can’t afford to wait until the end of January to sign a striker, if reports are true and CH has asked Dembellend if he wants to sign for us then I can tell you now he ain’t gonna sign anytime soon. Celtic are off to Dubai for warm weather training and you can bet your life his toerag Agent has told him to sit tight until They return. I would rather take Andone at a lesser fee and get him adjusted to our style of play pretty sharpish!

We really can't afford to adopt our usual practice of waiting until deadline day....... and then end up disappointed. We have got winnable games coming up and we need to win them not let them fade away into draws......or worse. The last minute gamble so beloved of the club in recent years hasn't worked too well. If we want Dembelle, and he wants to come, let's get the deal done NOW.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You're right again, nobody outside the club knows whether the club did miss a trick or if we were just extremely unlucky or somewhere in between. But that doesn't stop others on here automatically assuming they did cock it up.

Who knows the truth? Maybe the people who blame the club are right and we did cock it up or maybe people like you and I are being naive in trusting the club did their best are right?

I know which version I believe to be true. I accepted Barber's explanation of why it didn't work out as we all wanted and until I see any evidence that his explanation was incorrect I'm happy to accept his word.

But people like conspiracy theories!!!

We all know that nobody at the club set out to deliberately miss out on a goal scorer and they are probably as annoyed as we are but that is how things worked out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist nor am I fully trusting of everything that the club say.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The statistics suggest that he will not be able to play at our level as effective4ly as he has and if we are not carefuil we could finish up with another Van Wolfswinkel or Leon Best as Hughtons records for signing strikers isnt that good for whatever reason be it him or his staff

You have punched yourself in the eye with that statement. Van Wolfswinkel came with stats behind him and couldn't adapt to a different system to the one played by Sporting Lisbon

Leon Best was a January Loanee by a relegation threatened side and I doubt you would have had ''pick of litter'' when you sit around the relegation zone.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You have punched yourself in the eye with that statement. Van Wolfswinkel came with stats behind him and couldn't adapt to a different system to the one played by Sporting Lisbon

Leon Best was a January Loanee by a relegation threatened side and I doubt you would have had ''pick of litter'' when you sit around the relegation zone.

We have certainly had our fair share of striker runts :smile:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We all know that nobody at the club set out to deliberately miss out on a goal scorer and they are probably as annoyed as we are but that is how things worked out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist nor am I fully trusting of everything that the club say.

At the frustrating end to the last transfer window, Barber listed in great detail the complexities involved in signing new players and I could easily see what he was getting at. There is much to do behind the scenes, which we as fans don't see, and I fully accept that. However, the club does have form when going to the very last day, which to an extent is understandable, as it is TB's money and not mine, if he thinks that he can drive a better bargain with brinkmanship. But this tactic is loaded with dangers, as time is then at a premium if the club is unlucky, for whatever reason, and runs out of time to activate Plan B. Yes, the players failing medicals were not the fault of the club, who may well have been misled by other clubs, for all I know, but one should surely plan for that eventuality, time-wise, however rare these cases are. I did feel that the club got caught last August, and then listing all the complex reasons that go towards a successful transfer were just excuses.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
We really can't afford to adopt our usual practice of waiting until deadline day....... and then end up disappointed. We have got winnable games coming up and we need to win them not let them fade away into draws......or worse. The last minute gamble so beloved of the club in recent years hasn't worked too well. If we want Dembelle, and he wants to come, let's get the deal done NOW.

Thats how it turned out this year for one window but thats not the clubs usual practice or gamble though is it. All our recent strikers; Hemed, Murray, Baldock, Akpom and Zamora and plenty of other signings; Gross, Izquierdo, Suttner, Ryan just this summer were signed well in advance of the end of the window. And the arguably big signings of recent January windows; Knockaert, Kayal, Murray were well before end of January. And Dwamena would have been signed weeks before end of August if he'd passed his medical.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thats how it turned out this year for one window but thats not the clubs usual practice or gamble though is it. All our recent strikers; Hemed, Murray, Baldock, Akpom and Zamora and plenty of other signings; Gross, Izquierdo, Suttner, Ryan just this summer were signed well in advance of the end of the window. And the arguably big signings of recent January windows; Knockaert, Kayal, Murray were well before end of January. And Dwamena would have been signed weeks before end of August if he'd passed his medical.

chailey ruins the NSC narrative with his facts yet again. :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here