Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Train price rises

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Someone needs to pay for the pay rises the guards and drivers want (although they pretend they don't and just want to improve safety), right?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"The Department for Transport said price rises were capped in line with inflation."

Strange that they use RPI when they want money out of us and CPI when they have to pay us money ! The railways are some of the worst value for money service in this country and despite having well above real inflation rises year on year on year STILL don't improve. It's the main reason I've always looked for jobs outside of London even if it's meant a lower salary.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...you ungrateful sods. You have a fabulous new station at London Bridge which is all shiny and erm...new. You also have new rolling stock on the Littlehampton to London Bridge via Hove line...so what if you have to stand for your £5k ...you should be grateful you have a railway.

tsk tsk. maxresdefault.jpg

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I travel to central london 5 days a week for £100 a week. It takes 1hr 20.

I think that is still good value (i bought my annual ticket yesterday)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
...you ungrateful sods. You have a fabulous new station at London Bridge which is all shiny and erm...new. You also have new rolling stock on the Littlehampton to London Bridge via Hove line...so what if you have to stand for your £5k ...you should be grateful you have a railway.

tsk tsk.View attachment 92460

The train i got from brighton to london bridge no longer runs. It used to connect with the west coast train to lb at haywards heath but as there are only 12 carriage units and they can no longer connect en route then the brighton portion has been cancelled. I now have the choice of train to victoria and tube or change en route and stand for the majority of my journey.

Sounds like a massive improvement in services there

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
How else are inflation-busting pay rises going to be paid for?

And why were the inflation busting pay rises offered? To buy off an element of a workforce who were against a series of changes that would not have seen their numbers reduced but would have changed their working conditions. Also if it was about the money, why was that same financial offer twice refused by the employees

But of course i understand that you knew that already

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Someone needs to pay for the pay rises the guards and drivers want (although they pretend they don't and just want to improve safety), right?
I'm not going to argue that this isn't true, I've been left massively underwhelmed by the way these people strike until they've been bribed to sufficient levels. But why is that your "go to" quip? There are so many other sectors of the industry who are equally or (arguably) more to blame? The whole service is absolutely dreadful from top to bottom.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Governments are wary of big rises as the electoral consequences can be grave, hence the decisions to scale back on fuel price hikes. But these sort of rises are a no-brainer for governments.

Tory ones can push them through knowing there's electoral downside for them - Sussex and Surrey voters (Brighton aside) will vote Conservative no matter how high the rise, and Labour governments can push such rises through for the same reason.

In the wider world, the vast majority of the British electorate just don't care about the problems of a very small cross-section of the population. As a friend of mine posted on FB this morning: "You can tell it's the start of a new year, train users are complaining about having to pay for the railways. If you use them you should pay more for their upkeep. Alternatively, get a job you can walk to."

I suspect that's an attitude that's widely held across the country.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm not going to argue that this isn't true, I've been left massively underwhelmed by the way these people strike until they've been bribed to sufficient levels. But why is that your "go to" quip? There are so many other sectors of the industry who are equally or (arguably) more to blame? The whole service is absolutely dreadful from top to bottom.

Very odd knee-jerk reaction to blame the staff rather than the management.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The train i got from brighton to london bridge no longer runs. It used to connect with the west coast train to lb at haywards heath but as there are only 12 carriage units and they can no longer connect en route then the brighton portion has been cancelled. I now have the choice of train to victoria and tube or change en route and stand for the majority of my journey.

Sounds like a massive improvement in services there

jeez....glad i gave up that lark 8 years ago

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Very odd knee-jerk reaction to blame the staff rather than the management.

Oh please. They're all to blame, and yes that includes the staff. At the end of the day, drivers accepted a pay deal so that now (with overtime) they can be paid £80k a year for pushing a button. Don't ask me to respect those bellends.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexit = High RPI = Steep fare increase

Wonder how many Brexiteers actually commute, 52%? I doubt it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here