Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Train price rises

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You vote Tory . . . you end up shafted eventually

People should learn and not do what the media brain washes them to do.
People are morons

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
So 3p or so on everyone’s income tax to get us up to the same level of funding as Germany and ensure that those who choose to live a long way from their high paying jobs can travel cheaply.

Sounds a winner to me.

Better option is put an immediate stop on foreign aid.The railways are a vital lifeblood of any economy,paying for the next Ethiopian spice girls or the Indian space programme are very low on My list of priorities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Conservatives have long relied on the eldery Conservative vote to keep them in Sussex and Surrey. I think in recent years they have taken it to a new level but there is still too many retired people sitting on their full salary ensions who don't give a toss. Chris Grayling is a despicable MP and minister and today of all days he is out of the country http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

so instead of him out selling UK PLC to trying to get trade deals as now we are in a brexit situation,and we need these deals to pay for everyone's pension and defence, and rail subsidies, and farming subsidies and EU grants for industry, you would rather he was sat at his desk answering the same questions he has been answering since August when these raises were announced?

Not that I like the bloke in any shape or form as I regard him as a very creepy person, but come on.

kjgood

Yes - I think it is widely held - but it's a mistaken attitude in my view.

By the same logic, those who drive to work should pay more for the roads. Road building is far more heavily subsidised than the railways - yet, as you say, if anyone tries to increase tax on fuel there is a national outcry. I do both - and it is getting cheaper and cheaper (in relative terms) to drive rather than use public transport. Where's the sense in pricing people like me out of public transport - I would much rather go by train.

On a similar note, to get to St James' Park on Saturday was a 3.5 hour journey by train for a 120 mile journey. And when I turned up for the first train at 9.22, it had been cancelled for no apparent reason, and no-one at the station to ask. The next train would mean not getting to Newcastle until gone kick-off. So, I had to go back home and get in the car.

If we're going to pay these ridiculously high fares then let's have a reliable service.

And also, don't forget that these rises aren't paid just by wealthy commuters to London. All tickets will rise, and some by 2-3 times the rate of inflation.

Hear Hear. I usually always drive from South Wales to home games, but having recently getting my pensioners concession card I stupidly thought lets try the train for a change as the concession price for a ticket from Bridgend to Falmer return is about the same as using the car including the second severn crossing tax, so for the Liverpool home game I did. Never again!!!

I left Bridgend station on the 08.05 (Left home at 07.30) London Paddington service, delayed and diverted through Chippenham because of engineering works and got to Falmer just before 14.00. The return from Falmer, and I left the ground straight after the final whistle got me back to Bridgend at 23.40. If I had driven I would have left home at about 10.a.m and got home about 21.30.

Delays both ways due to engineering works between Swindon and Bristol and the Circle Line on the underground was also closed for the day for engineering works meaning a diversion there as well between Paddington and Victoria. Public transport certainly didnt work for me and most certainly wont get me out of my car.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Pen pushers need to travel to where the offices that hold the pens are kept.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

no we dont...we have VPN and broadband so can push pens at home nowadays

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
That would be the extremely well paid pen pushers who can afford to pay £5k a year to get to work.

plenty of people will be paying similar on their car leases to drive 10 miles a day to work.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Conservatives have long relied on the eldery Conservative vote to keep them in Sussex and Surrey. I think in recent years they have taken it to a new level but there is still too many retired people sitting on their full salary ensions who don't give a toss.

I dont know why people focus on the retired vote. yes, they vote biased towards Conservative, however they are a much smaller part of the population. about 27% the adults in West Sussex.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You vote Tory . . . you end up shafted eventually

People should learn and not do what the media brain washes them to do.

Yes as labour for 13 years did a terrific job on the railways. Why do you think they are having to spend all this money now on updating the network? It's not a party political thing, its a national thing in the same way as the NHS is....political dogma on both sides ruin lives.

And if you think that people vote because Murdoch tells them to, then perhaps the same could apply with Corbyn....not everyone is a sheep.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So 3p or so on everyone’s income tax to get us up to the same level of funding as Germany and ensure that those who choose to live a long way from their high paying jobs can travel cheaply.

Sounds a winner to me.

You're not comparing like with like: Germany is about twice the size of the UK so subsidies are going to be a lot more. A more comparable figure would be £10bn rather than £17bn.

Then there's the fact that a big chunk of rail costs are on accountants and lawyers to manage franchises. I have no idea how much that is but they won't be cheap, a couple of billion possibly. And we don't have to have the same fare levels as Germany. But a £110 a week for unlimited travel on bus, train and tube anywhere in the country sounds like a pretty good deal to me (and that's about 50% more than the Germans pay).

So, to get something more akin to German rail, we'd end up paying about 1p more income tax - which sounds a bit more reasonable. After all, we currently subsidise German travellers, I don't see what's wrong with paying more to subsidise our own.

By the same logic, those who drive to work should pay more for the roads. Road building is far more heavily subsidised than the railways - yet, as you say, if anyone tries to increase tax on fuel there is a national outcry. I do both - and it is getting cheaper and cheaper (in relative terms) to drive rather than use public transport.

I totally agree: since 1974 (and the big rise in oil prices), it's got cheaper and cheaper to travel by road. Government figures in 2015 revealed that the cost of motoring had fallen by 14% in 24 years, while rail travel had increased by 63% - and the gap will have widened since then. It's a gap that all governments are frightened to address.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

By the same logic, those who drive to work should pay more for the roads. Road building is far more heavily subsidised than the railways - yet, as you say, if anyone tries to increase tax on fuel there is a national outcry. I do both - and it is getting cheaper and cheaper (in relative terms) to drive rather than use public transport. Where's the sense in pricing people like me out of public transport - I would much rather go by train.

On a similar note, to get to St James' Park on Saturday was a 3.5 hour journey by train for a 120 mile journey. And when I turned up for the first train at 9.22, it had been cancelled for no apparent reason, and no-one at the station to ask. The next train would mean not getting to Newcastle until gone kick-off. So, I had to go back home and get in the car.

If we're going to pay these ridiculously high fares then let's have a reliable service.

And also, don't forget that these rises aren't paid just by wealthy commuters to London. All tickets will rise, and some by 2-3 times the rate of inflation.

Rubbish tax direct and indirect (road fund/fuel tax) is approx. 4 x that spent in building and maintaining our roads by central and local government

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I dont know why people focus on the retired vote. yes, they vote biased towards Conservative, however they are a much smaller part of the population. about 27% the adults in West Sussex.

Because traditionally they are more likely to come out and bother to vote. In June last year The Conservatives would have gotten away with it again too if it wasn't for those meddling kids.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The increase doesn’t bother me as SWR have promised new trains and increased capacity into and out of Waterloo. Then they announce this;
5324A903-4A67-4273-A5A4-FF76D7CAA198.jpeg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
...you ungrateful sods. You have a fabulous new station at London Bridge which is all shiny and erm...new. You also have new rolling stock on the Littlehampton to London Bridge via Hove line...so what if you have to stand for your £5k ...you should be grateful you have a railway.

tsk tsk.View attachment 92460

You would be right but you have put up a picture of the Southall to Paddington stopping service.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They do indeed. They see a rail network as a key infrastructure that underpins their economy and improves the life of their citizens

Its a hugely cultural thing.
Not sure it's cultural. We subsidise the railway too.

It's simply a throw back to the 80s "there is no such thing as society" policy of a few certain Tories in power.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I nevert use trains other than the occsaional game but watching on the news it showed an increase of £148 for a season ticket Hove to London which equates to less than £ 3 per week or 60p a day which doesnt sound bad but it is when paid for in 1 payments that it hits home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here