Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That is NOTHING like the Decemberists. It sounds more Editors or Interpol. I like it but that is a huge shock. When they sang on their last album that they had to change, they weren't joking.

I had a bit of a read-up on it and they decided to bin their long-term producer and studio in a bid to switch things up. Definitely succeeded in that.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The Decemberists have released their first single from the upcoming "I'll Be Your Girl" and it sounds nothing like The Decemberists. I am a bit in love with it.

Like it, a lot. There were hints of a change with Make You Better from the last album (which I also loved). Colin Meloy's vocals still make it Decemberist-y enough I think. Be interesting to see how they work it live.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Like it, a lot. There were hints of a change with Make You Better from the last album (which I also loved). Colin Meloy's vocals still make it Decemberist-y enough I think. Be interesting to see how they work it live.

Agree with this. I love his voice and it's strange but lovely to hear it in a completely different format.

I see that Resident have The Limiñanas as their album of the week. They have a fair few guests on the album including Peter Hook who was also on their last. I can see why he likes collaborating with this French duo because they do a lovely line in jangly guitar pop. I can't find a link to the new song with his collaboration but there is this which I like a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWdeZ4l6xtI

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The talented and hypnotic Nils Frahm (playing the Dome in Feb) has his new long player....'All Melody' out on Friday.

Rather lovely....can stream it here.

https://www.npr.org/artists/456348284/nils-frahm

513rowpULcL._AC_US218_.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Belle Adair 'Tuscumbia'

Been enjoying the new Belle Adair album this morning. It's very poppy. Resident describes it as sounding like The Byrds and I can see that but I can also hear tunes reminiscent of Sebastien Tellier, Elliott Smith and even jangly 90s bands like Cast and the Las. It rattles along quite nicely in 4th gear without getting dull or predictable.

It probably won't make many best of lists which is a bit of a shame because there should always be a place for inoffensive catchy pop.

https://youtu.be/CcRkGC-pYJM

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Starcrawler - 'Starcrawler'

It's one hell of an album to listen to at 5 in the morning which is what I did today thanks to not being able to sleep. They've been described as the most exciting band Rough Trade have signed in years and from what I can gather they put on one hell of a show including fake blood.

The album starts very frenetically, the style is fuzzy guitar, 3 chord guitars, reverb, 70s guitar riff and 3 minute tunes. Heavy influences from the Stooges and Blondie in their punkier moments and the album really gets interesting with the track Chicken Woman, 5 tracks in. It reminds me of the raw guitar energy of Grinderman and showcases their talent brilliantly.

Apparently Ryan Adam produced this album and he's done a brilliant job creating such a paradoxically messy yet neat and tidy album. Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/JR6n23_fL3o

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Belle Adair 'Tuscumbia'

Been enjoying the new Belle Adair album this morning. It's very poppy. Resident describes it as sounding like The Byrds and I can see that but I can also hear tunes reminiscent of Sebastien Tellier, Elliott Smith and even jangly 90s bands like Cast and the Las. It rattles along quite nicely in 4th gear without getting dull or predictable.

It probably won't make many best of lists which is a bit of a shame because there should always be a place for inoffensive catchy pop.

https://youtu.be/CcRkGC-pYJM

Similar vein to The Clientele, although the overall sound feels a bit richer on the latter. Not bad.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The tUnE-YaRdS - 'I can feel you creep into my life'

(The mixed case spelling is deliberate)

An album that is guaranteed to get a tune or two stuck in your head for a long time. To my ears it sounds like Moloko meets Miami Sound Machine with more than a hint of last year's Ibibio Sound Machine - there's funk, jazz, electronica and some bona fide floorfillers. Stand out tracks include 'ABC 123', 'Look At Your Hands' and the quite brilliant 'Colonizer'. If you can manage to look beyond the music the lyrics are deceptively dark and deep too and this makes it a great album to listen to out loud or with your headphones on. I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66YZdqVEsnw

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The tUnE-YaRdS - 'I can feel you creep into my life'

(The mixed case spelling is deliberate)

An album that is guaranteed to get a tune or two stuck in your head for a long time. To my ears it sounds like Moloko meets Miami Sound Machine with more than a hint of last year's Ibibio Sound Machine - there's funk, jazz, electronica and some bona fide floorfillers. Stand out tracks include 'ABC 123', 'Look At Your Hands' and the quite brilliant 'Colonizer'. If you can manage to look beyond the music the lyrics are deceptively dark and deep too and this makes it a great album to listen to out loud or with your headphones on. I love it

Oooh, I like that. Thanks for the recommendation

I think I'd have loved Starcrawler about 40 years ago but I'm too old ... too old

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've listened a few times now to the second part of the Belle and Sebastian "How to Solve Our Human Problems" EPs, a three-part issue. It's an interesting way to publish what would normally be a standard LP and I notice that you can pre-order all 3 EPs as a set if you prefer to look at this as a sort of triple album.

This is the Belle and Sebastian I know and love. Their last album "Girls In Peacetime" was very disappointing, a complete damp squib and I was a little worried that they had run out of steam but the full 2 year gap between that release and these EPs sees them re-energised and sounding great. It's a 5-track affair with them opening very brightly with 'Show Me The Sun'; as rocky and upbeat a B&S song as they've ever done. Next up 'The Same Star' is classic B&S: radio-friendly, charming, slightly melancholy in a smiley way and a very catchy chorus. But then we get to "I'll Be Your Pilot", without doubt the stand-out track on the EP. It's glorious, timeless, quintessentially B&S and a sure cert for any 'Best Of' album. I challenge anyone to listen to this just once and not to get it stuck in your head as an ear-worm. 'Cornflakes' sees them in jangly guitar territory and sounding suspiciously like an old Orange Juice tune. The last track 'A Plague on Other Boys' is by far the weakest and deserves to sit at the end but even that works well as a counter-point and warm down after the previous 4 tracks.

One thing you can never level at B&S is cynicism in their music. There is always something quite uplifting and hopeful about their outlook and this EP will restore your faith in mankind, even just a little. There are good people in this world. Belle and Sebastian are proof of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH0urI7Gf2w

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That First Aid Kit album fades very badly in the second half of the album. The first 4 or 5 songs are absolutely cracking and no wonder most have been released as singles but thereafter it's just boring and bland identikit country music. I'm quite disappointed about this as I had such high hopes.

I have been listening instead to Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree and it's lost none of its impact. Those last 3 songs ...oh boy. It's harrowing.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Got the new Marmozets album today - Knowing What You Know Now. One of the most exciting bands to emerge from the UK in the last few years, if you're even remotely into rock music with hip-shakingly good leads and vocal hooks it's a must listen

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sin Fang, Sóley And Örvar Smárason - 'Teen Dreams'

This is as near to an Icelandic supergroup as you are likely to get with Sin Fang, Soley and Smarason from FM Belfast finally releasing an album after a long period of collaboration where they've been releasing a single a month for some time now. It's very low-key although it does get a little bit 'bouncier' and dance-oriented as you progress through the 12 tracks. Auto-tune/vocoder does get a fair old rinse too and I found this a little off putting.

I think ethereal is the key word here and if that isn't your thing and you prefer more solid riffs, hooks and beats then you will not much like the album. I'm a huge fan but I'm under no illusions that it's not for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecGj0vR1hHY

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Totally agree about The Go! Team really enjoying it

My first impressions of First Aid Kit mirror Buzzer's - good opening songs and then all a bit samey.

I've given the new one by Django Django 'Marble Skies' a couple of plays and I really like it. Feels like they're still developing - it's very eclectic and with some great tunes.

I've got No Age too but have yet to listen to it

Also The Limiñanas' latest - no great difference to the last one but hey, it's The Limiñanas, so who cares.

And still loving Shame's 'Songs of Praise'

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My first impressions of First Aid Kit mirror Buzzer's - good opening songs and then all a bit samey. '

I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who feels like this. The hype surrounding the recent 2 or 3 single releases led me to believe that this would be their big breakout year, going from their names appearing midway down festival posters to pretty near the top - it's how I judge how big the bands are now in lieu of not really having a clue about how chart music works nowadays - consequently I was expecting a very strong album but the 2nd half of that album is really quite weak.

Am looking forward to hearing the Django Django album. Thanks for the heads up.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Hello NSC friends,

Exciting news - An Awkward Bow, my second album, is now available to you very good people to stream / download a full two days prior to its official release via Bandcamp....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com

Unfortunately the CD version is not quite ready. It's a long'ish story, but suffice to say that being a supporter of all things 'British Cottage Industry' can leave you in a bit of a spot when your one-man printing organisation succumbs to a nasty bout of post-festive flu and is unable to work for a few weeks. I think you'll all agree that Tom's health is far more important than having to wait a few extra days or weeks for a shiny thing that spins around and plays music. If you want though, you can order the CD now using the above link and you still get an immediate high-quality download of the album to tie you over until all is well again and the nice sleeves land on my doormat. I will of course endeavour to keep you posted on when the CDs will be shipping out as soon as I know myself.

The Bandcamp page has been redesigned to reflect the feel of the new album. Slate greys, British Racing Green and Chalk White nestle alongside one another in an organic palletscape (?) of the British Isles' magnificent countryside. I hope you like the look of it.....I hope you like the sound of it.

Yours, for now anyway,

Darren x

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Totally agree about The Go! Team really enjoying it

My first impressions of First Aid Kit mirror Buzzer's - good opening songs and then all a bit samey.

I've given the new one by Django Django 'Marble Skies' a couple of plays and I really like it. Feels like they're still developing - it's very eclectic and with some great tunes.

I've got No Age too but have yet to listen to it

Also The Limiñanas' latest - no great difference to the last one but hey, it's The Limiñanas, so who cares.

And still loving Shame's 'Songs of Praise'

No Age play in Brighton at the end of March, btw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here