Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair enough. Personally I think this year is going to be fantastic for music. First quarter and I already have 4 contenders for album of the year in Nils, Hookworms, Young Fathers and Suuns. Daniel Avery and Rival Consoles out this week or next as well.

Try Young Fathers, it’s complex at times, very interesting and really gets into your head. I’ll let you know if any others come my way.

With you on Hookworms and Nils Frahm, and thanks for the advance warning on Daniel Avery. I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on the Sons of Kemet album, which was sold out in Resident yesterday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With you on Hookworms and Nils Frahm, and thanks for the advance warning on Daniel Avery. I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on the Sons of Kemet album, which was sold out in Resident yesterday.

It’s been 5 years since Avery’s debut and he’s traveled an interesting musical path since then and is heavily into drone and ambient. It’s going to be interesting to see what it’s like.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
"Space Gun" Guided By Voices one of their best in years (and there are a LOT to choose from)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Try Young Fathers, it’s complex at times, very interesting and really gets into your head. I’ll let you know if any others come my way.

I got this one at the same time as Yo La Tengo. Nice deep blue vinyl. Haven't devoted time to it yet, but my wife's a big fan - could be a contender. Hoping Jon Hopkins next month could be the one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got this one at the same time as Yo La Tengo. Nice deep blue vinyl. Haven't devoted time to it yet, but my wife's a big fan - could be a contender. Hoping Jon Hopkins next month could be the one.

:thumbsup: Jealous of the blue vinyl version.

And a timely reminder about the new Jon Hopkins long player. Thanks.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It’s been 5 years since Avery’s debut and he’s traveled an interesting musical path since then and is heavily into drone and ambient. It’s going to be interesting to see what it’s like.

If 'Clear' is anything to go by it's going to be very good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Also, did I mention Suuns? New album is their best yet. I challenge anyone to listen to the track called Baseline and not start tapping their toes and nodding their head.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For fans of the superbly fabulous Late Night Tales series, heads up that the brilliant and peerless Agnes Obel does hers in May.

61bgV8aZf9L._AC_US218_.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
New Dan Avery out today. A bit more beardstrokey/ comedowny than Drone Logic but still well worth a listen.

Quite different isn’t it? His interest in drone is quite apparent as is his interest in Berlin’s techno music. These are the two things which jump out at me immediately.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Quite different isn’t it? His interest in drone is quite apparent as is his interest in Berlin’s techno music. These are the two things which jump out at me immediately.

It's a cracker in my eyes, totally up my street. I would hope at some point he tries to do something with the mass market appeal of 'Drone Logic' again, it's a pretty rare talent to be able to do something that universally likable without veering into EDM territory.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a cracker in my eyes, totally up my street. I would hope at some point he tries to do something with the mass market appeal of 'Drone Logic' again, it's a pretty rare talent to be able to do something that universally likable without veering into EDM territory.

Agree. At times it’s very much grounded in the techno I like. But also has a lot more to offer. I like the drone he’s overlaying some of his tracks with. Second track has a nod to William Basinskis Disintigration Loops about it.

A couple of albums I’ve been listening to recently are Steffi - World of The Waking State and Answer Code Request. These were almost perfect albums to listen to ahead of Avery’s, they really set the mood and tone for him to deliver his long player.

Rival Consoles next Friday then Hopkins. 2018 is looking so good.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Recent purchases:

Lucy Dacus, Soccer Mommy, The Breeders, Anna Burch, Young Fathers, Yo La Tengo. All pretty good music for doing the ironing to on a Sunday afternoon, but none of them have blown me away. Having said that, I can't remember the last time an album blew me away. I find myself looking for small moments of niceness - like an unexpected chord change, a burst of intense melody, or an interesting noise. What I don't want is a song where I can guess what's going to happen in advance, but, at the same time, I'm a sucker for a bit of guitar and tunefulness, so it's not always easy to find what I'm looking for.

Have you had a go on the new The Ex album? It's shading AOTY for me at the mo.

https://theex.bandcamp.com/album/27-passports

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Currently listening to:

Lucy Railton-Paradise94

Classically trained cellist applies her instrument to an industrial backed music soundscape.

Soft As Snow-Deep Wave

Norwegian duo mix up EDM, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle and Fever ray

Computer Magic-Danz

Nerdy sci-fi synth pop. CM is one Danielle Johnson who wrote, played, produced, mastered and released on her own record label.

Future treats
New La Luz out in May

Dreamy surf type pop.

Melody's Echo Chamber finally follow up 2012s debut in June, delayed a year by a hospital operation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If a bit of electronica is your bag....Rival Consoles release Persona this week. Chill stuff.

I’m a huge fan of this guy and all over this album at the moment (when I’m not listening to Daniel Avery, Nils Frahm or Suuns that is). You can listen ahead of the release here https://hypem.com/premiere/rival+consoles

I’m also seeing him perform this on Saturday (chose this over the Palace game)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Finally been able to dedicate some time to the excellent Hormone Lemonade by Cavern Of Anti Matter. Very difficult to sit still to and not dance. I would imagine they are great live. I unfortunately missed them last time they played which I think was at Patterns.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Finally been able to dedicate some time to the excellent Hormone Lemonade by Cavern Of Anti Matter. Very difficult to sit still to and not dance. I would imagine they are great live. I unfortunately missed them last time they played which I think was at Patterns.

I’ll report back as I’m seeing them/him in May!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sons of Kemet Your Queen is a Reptile might just be my AotY, a bit early to say, granted. There's a bit of a buzz going on about British jazz at the moment, and not before time. My first connection with this was through Polar Bear, and their band members continue to exert an influence. Seb Rochford only appears on half the tracks on this album, with Pete Wareham making a guest appearance. Both featured in Acoustic Ladyland, which evolved into Melt Yourself Down, which is where I first came across Shabaka Hutchings, who is the key member of Kemet, which is a two drum, tuba and sax/clarinet quartet.
The music on this album is more substantial and confident, and channels mixed identity which is what unites so many of those within the British jazz scene. Give it a whirl. They're playing at Komedia in October too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here