Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Some future releases to look forward too:

I know there are a fair few Marissa Nadler fans on here and she has a new LP out in September.

Earlier on this year she posted an album of covers on Bandcamp which included this excellent version of Cure's A Forest.
https://marissanadler.bandcamp.com/track/a-forest

On a completely different tack, Gazelle Twin's new album Pastoral is also out in September

Exploded View's debut album was one of my favourites a few years ago and they too are returning in September with Obey

Still Corners are releasing their fourth album in August, for those who like dreamy indie pop.

Haiku Salut seem to have ditched the accordians and upped the electronica and added a bit of brass in the first two tracks released from their forthcoming third album, There is no Elsewhere, also released in September.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Recent reviews;
La Luz - Floating Features
Seattle quartet's third album see them subtley shift their surf inspired sound once more. Whereas their previous release, Weirdo Shrine, was lo-fi and hissy around the edges, the new album is a much sharper and cleaner product. Lyrically, the band's girl group harmonies sound sweet and measured on top but dig deeper and it is a world of nightmares and surreal dreams underneath.

Lucrecia Dalt - Anticlines
Dalt was previously a geotechnical engineer in her native Colombia before moving into the experimental electronic field and basing herself in Berlin. Anticlines, her sixth and probably best album, mixes both her fascination with geology and the dynamics of relationships. There is an element of Laurie Anderson in the surrealist dreamscapes and metaphors derived from often cut up pieces of prose and poetry. The ambient electronica sucks you in further until you feel enveloped in its sensual world.

Melody's Echo Chamber - Bon Voyage
Six years on from her debut album finally comes Melody Prochet's follow up at the third attempt: her original recordings made with Tame Impala's Kevin Parker were junked when their relationship broke down leaving just album closer Shirim as the sole survivor from those sessions; this break up would inspire the mood, lyrically and musically, of the current album which was all set to go in early 2017 when Prochet suffered a brain aneurysm which hospitalized her for a number of months leaving just Cross My Heart as a teaser; thankfully recovered the album finally appeared in June. The net result is a kind of 60s psychedelia crossed with playful Gallic pop that is all over the place but knows when to pull back from the weirdness. Cross my Heart opening lulls you into a false sense of repeating past glories before breaking down into a number of long flute solos. The epitome of the entire album is Desert Horse, a deliberate mess of a song sung in English, French with some Swedish screaming whilst someone plays around with the autotune with all the subtlety of a nine year old. It is bonkers but highly listenable bonkers.

Le Vasco - Feu Tempete
More French pop though far more colder and introverted than MEC. The plaintive vocals of the lead singer with its occasional vocoderised harmonising often jarr against the R & B electronic backing track yet they often work mainly due to Louise Calzada's plaintive and introspective vocal work. There is a sense that everything is coming to an end here.

Ora Iso - Image Certifies
Ora Iso are a duo containing Indonesian born Australian Kathleen Malay and New Yorker Jason Kudo. Their second release is an album of dark noisy pop that is ever so pissed off with the world at large made up of stark gothic vocals and plenty of feedback both through the guitar and via electronics. Occasionally throughout this dark sludgy affair chinks of light make a fleeting presence before the morbidity and misanthropy take control again. Does contain the best cover ever of Chris Izaak's Wicked Game.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I feel CHVRCHES may have run out of puff. All a bit by numbers now.

Yeah, that’s a fair enough shout. I enjoyed the album but it’s the weakest offering they’ve put out. Still found it a solid project but it’s worrying.

Ghostemane released a new single today, which is pretty good. I never thought Black Metal Hip-Hop would work, but I’ve really got in to GM over the last couple of years. It’s certainly different

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix is available here: https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-40/

Track Listing:
1. International Teachers of Pop - Age of the Train
2. The Cool Greenhouse - London
3. Audiobooks - Hot Salt
4. Gazelle Twin - Hobby Horse
5. Lime Crush - Connective Tissue
6. The Exbats - 2027
7. Der Kinderstod - Numb Flesh
8. Eartheater - Peripheral
9. Ela Minus - OK
10. Exploded View - Raven Raven
11. Ale Hop - As you seek faintly the shore
12. Sobrenadar - Cruce
13. Le Vasco - Le Desert
14. Helena Hauff - It was all fields around here when I was a kid
15. Hearts and Rockets - Psychic Power
16. Nadine Byrne - I Think About Abstraction
17. Ora Iso - Deep Fix
18. Isserley - Xenophobia
19. Photosynthez - Cut Cut Cut
20. Jupiter-C - Tommy's Darkness

Running time - 60 minutes

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
My new album will be out in the Autumn, but if anyone wants to hear a taster then you can head over to Bandcamp or Soundcloud and listen to promo single Mountain Ghost A via the links below. Those of you who have been following DAMSELFLY will notice a bit of a change of direction into more post-progressive-rock territory here, and I've managed to indulge my love of late 60s / early 70s British Rock with nods to Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Anyway, hope (some of) you like it. Cheers for listening for those that do....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/track/mountain-ghost-a

https://soundcloud.com/user-321084802/mountain-ghost-a-8-05_07_2018

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Edging through Anna Calvi's latest with the Cricket on, dark yet galvanising.

Anna_Calvi_Hunter_1535551801.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
New Interpol record Marauder is either gash or complete genius. I genuinely can't decide which.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
CorgiRegisteredFriend;85 94271 said:
Not sure about Idles. In my opinion they owe much to this lot

No doubt in my mind - top band, even better human beings. The sense of community at their gigs is unbelievable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here