Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Their 14th album in 32 years, and one of their best; they just go from strength to strength, musically and lyrically.

Some usual footie related lines amidst the brilliant wry social observations and satire on modern culture:

"Oh let me gaze upon your curves. Instead of Ipswich Town reserves.'

"Ground Control to Monty Don. The Testimonial silver's gone."

Nigel Blackwell has got to be one of the best, yet most overlooked, lyricists ever.

R-12018989-1526665725-2651_png.jpg

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think I've mentioned Squid on here yet have I? London/Brighton (met at uni here), started off playing jazz at The Verdict so are all phenomenal players. I suppose they are a bit Talking Headsy in the same way that Canadian band Ought is.

Most recent single here - https://squiduk.bandcamp.com/track/terrestrial-changeover-blues-2007-2012

Prior EP, now sold out - https://squiduk.bandcamp.com/album/lino-2

And I really like this one that they haven't done anything with yet but hits very hard indeed live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXL5lIaqaBI

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix is available here: https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-39/

Track Listing:
1. Shortparis - Стыд
2. Ora Iso - Wicked Game
3. Night Club - Candy Coated Suicide
4. Isserley - IAWFT4R
5. CECILIA - House of Flesh
6. Serpentwithfeet - Cherubim
7. Resina - Resin
8. Karen Meat - Share A Dinner
9. TV Girl - Blue Hair
10. The KVB - Above Us
11. Cobalt Chapel - Mountain
12. Kedr Livanskiy - The Was A Time (б ы л о в р е м я)
13. New Chance - Chasing A Sunset
14. Ibibio Sound Machine - A Forest
15. Lillian Frances - Netflix + Chill
16. Lucrecia Dalt - Edge

Running time - 60 minutes

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We’re approaching the half way point of 2018 so what are your favourite albums so far? It’s been a strong year but mine is Jon Hopkins; it’s a thing of beauty.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We’re approaching the half way point of 2018 so what are your favourite albums so far? It’s been a strong year but mine is Jon Hopkins; it’s a thing of beauty.

Between this, Son Lux's Brighter Wounds and The Soft Moon's Criminal for me.

Waiting on TR/ST's new album. His stuff is always good.

[yt]q4SdCVAiZ7c[/yt]

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

This please. I've dropped out of music this year (domestic reasons.), only buying Cavern of Anti Matter all year. Ive not even heard the new Onehotrix Point Never new LP yet. It'd be interesting to see what I've missed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
New Interpol album Marauder out August 24. Already absolutely buzzing for it. (Huge Interpol fanboy, apols.)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think anything has knocked Hookworms off their perch yet.

I would say the newly released Crack Cloud album but it is just two EP's put together with one new song so it doesn't really count.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Half time report, after many listens I'm going with Guided By Voices, 'Space Gun'.
Now, there are a LOT of Robert Pollard albums. (over 100). I've got 50 odd. I'll be honest, quality control can sometimes be a bit suspect but even the worst albums have 4 or 5 cracking tracks. This one is an absolute joy. Probably my favourite from him for 20 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hookworms is still doing it for me.

I don't think anything has knocked Hookworms off their perch yet.

A very very strong 2nd place in my albums-of-the-year-so-far. The whole album is great and I really don’t want to single anything out but I’ve not heard an opening three tracks so good as theirs in a long long time; it’s a veritable statement of intent. And just wait until you see it done live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here