Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I read that interview and thought the reviewer used quite a few cheap shots. So what if Hopkins has used something from Four Tet from fifteen years ago. And maybe not many people can compose like Ryuichi Sakamoto. It doesn’t necessarily make it a bad album. Part of me thinks the reviewer was more interested in getting across his knowledge and cool reference points than actually reviewing the album.

Herr Tubthumper gives it a 4/5.

To be honest I just did a quick skim read but picked up the gist of it. Must feel a bit on his own following other reviews though.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
My music taste is probably a bit more mainstream than a lot of people in this thread but here we go anyway:

⭐⭐⭐
MIST -Diamond in the Dirt
Foreign Beggars - 2 2 Karma
The Wombats - Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life.
Rejjie Snow - Dear Annie
The Magic Gang - The Magic Gang
Lil Skies - Life of a Dark Rose
J Cole - KOD
Plan B - Heaven Before All Hell
Lil Yatchy - Lil Boat 2

⭐⭐⭐⭐
Don Broco - Technology
Headie One - The One
Luke RV - Purgatory EP
Flatbush Zombies - Vacation To Hell
Tom Misch - Geography
CzarFace/MF Doom - Czarface Meets Metal Face
M Huncho - 48 Hours EP

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Ocean Wisdom - Wizville
George FitzGerald - All That Must Be

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
NSC'ers early bird thing!

As some of you enjoyed my last album 'An Awkward Bow' I thought I'd let you know that a mini album of previously unreleased tracks and remixes from the album sessions (not officially released until Monday) can be found here...

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-the-rose

Really like Beneath The Rose, finding it quite inspiring and still play An Awkward Bow a lot
thanks! :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Four Tet was good last night. He played a fantastic set with a very basic stage setup and in the round. Venue was a lovely old 70s former DDR radio studio by the river in deepest darkest east Berlin and we all stood around him as he did his stuff.

Here’s the venue

Attachments

• 19BED8C0-2FE3-4142-A977-01E788CABC7D.jpeg
    19BED8C0-2FE3-4142-A977-01E788CABC7D.jpeg
    907.5 KB · Views: 131

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I read that interview and thought the reviewer used quite a few cheap shots. So what if Hopkins has used something from Four Tet from fifteen years ago. And maybe not many people can compose like Ryuichi Sakamoto. It doesn’t necessarily make it a bad album. Part of me thinks the reviewer was more interested in getting across his knowledge and cool reference points than actually reviewing the album.

Herr Tubthumper gives it a 4/5.

Fully agree with that assessment of both review / reviewer and album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any one on here into a gent who goes under the name of Amen Dunes? I came across him via Sacred Bones Records. His current album is called Freedom. Indy pop psych is the best description I can give. Bloody good is my assessment.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The new A Perfect Circle album (Eat the Elephant) is, IMHO, a masterpiece. 14 years since the last album but worth the wait. Just need Maynard to get his shit together with Tool and release their next album now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Any one on here into a gent who goes under the name of Amen Dunes? I came across him via Sacred Bones Records. His current album is called Freedom. Indy pop psych is the best description I can give. Bloody good is my assessment.

Yeah, it's a record I know I should like but I don't really. It's about the 3rd in a row of his I've thought that about so it's probably time for me to give up.

Has anyone heard the new Parliament album? It's amazing to hear George Clinton assimilating the influence of everything he influenced. Haven't made my mind up about it yet but I'm pretty sure I love it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, it's a record I know I should like but I don't really. It's about the 3rd in a row of his I've thought that about so it's probably time for me to give up.

I only discovered him recently but I’m really enjoying it. I’ll now work backwards through his career and see what I conclude.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here