Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Piper

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I have to say I was a little surprised the team didn’t wear Black Armbands or that they didn’t put Pipes’s image up on the screen in the 64th minute.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the late Paul McCarthy get this when he sadly passed away suddenly, I would have thought Steve Piper’s contribution to the Albion was as significant as McCarthy, perhaps even more?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have to say I was a little surprised the team didn’t wear Black Armbands or that they didn’t put Pipes’s image up on the screen in the 64th minute.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the late Paul McCarthy get this when he sadly passed away suddenly, I would have thought Steve Piper’s contribution to the Albion was as significant as McCarthy, perhaps even more?

All of the above. Very disappointing. Perhaps a minutes applause was postponed due to TV coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Probably doesn't fit in with Barber's financial strategy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

To their credit the club have been in touch to clarify what the policy is, a player who passes away, unless at a relatively young age, has had to have played in excess of 250 games for the club to qualify for a tribute on the big screen.

Not the answer I wanted to hear, Pipes was also a friend as well as an ex Albion player, but at least its a clear policy.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
To their credit the club have been in touch to clarify what the policy is, a player who passes away, unless at a relatively young age, has had to have played in excess of 250 games for the club to qualify for a tribute on the big screen.

Not the answer I wanted to hear, Pipes was also a friend as well as an ex Albion player, but at least its a clear policy.

So there must be a separate policy for Fans to have the tribute? Stuff the number of games he played, get him up there against Palace as a Fan!!!!!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Seems strange to purely base it on appearances, although I accept it takes any subjectivity out of it.

Case in point will be that Bobby Zamora won’t have a tribute but Robert Codner will.

Surely a local lad who also watched the Albion as a fan should be remembered in some way.

I think in this case the club got it wrong and the policy won’t always reflect a persons contribution to the club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Seems strange to purely base it on appearances, although I accept it takes any subjectivity out of it.

Case in point will be that Bobby Zamora won’t have a tribute but Robert Codner will.

Surely a local lad who also watched the Albion as a fan should be remembered in some way.

I think in this case the club got it wrong and the policy won’t always reflect a persons contribution to the club.

The "relatively young age" criterion is also a bit strange: Piper was only 64, that's some way below average life expectancy. I'm only three years younger and I certainly don't feel that old.

And I agree that local boys should be treated differently: poor show by the Albion on this one.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

And to their discredit they have come up with a dodgy set of rules that doesn’t take into account the popularity, local interest and status of the player with the fans. For Barber to come up with such an impersonal rule is quite frankly outrageous and indicative that he really understands nothing of the history of this club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here