Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo has to start every game now..

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
In the last couple of games he has tried something different by getting to the touchline and not just cutting in onto his right foot. Set up the forth goal by doing something different, he can only get better and is clearly working hard on his game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Played well yesterday.

Our second goal cannot be rated highly enough. It was ******* world class. Everything about it was perfect, it was all one touch football. One the best goals I’ve seen this season. Lovely bit acceleration from Jose too.

Still not as good as the one at Stoke. Goal of the season for me so far.

Jose’s decision making is getting visibly better each game, and less selfish. He’s going outside and cutting inside as well now. Great pace, very good defensively too. Going to be a star.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
That fourth goal. I loved the way he unselfishly stood behind the line to make sure he wouldn't be offside. Great presence of mind.

Yes I spotted that. The other plus with him is that defensively you can rely on him to be in position, allowing Bong to go narrow and not worry about the opposition full-back. Much better in our half than either knocky or March.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Bet the Army wish they could borrow our recruitment team,instead of that shambolic mob they've got!

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
On a side note: watching the Swans match on NBC that Palace plonker Iain Dowie completely aspinalled Jose's name: kept saying Iz-quid-ero.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
His defending is sublime, where does he get the energy to attack as well

larus

His defending is sublime, where does he get the energy to attack as well

We’re either very lucky with our wingers or, more likely, have coached them into that ‘team work’ ethic.

One thing I noticed again yesterday was the way that they all celebrate together. Not one player milking it (OK, I’ll let AK off after he scored :lol:), but Jose was being congratulated as much for Murrays 2nd as was Murray.

Jose also seems happy. I’m sure the recruitment team filter out trouble makers and go for team-players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Played well yesterday.

Our second goal cannot be rated highly enough. It was ******* world class. Everything about it was perfect, it was all one touch football. One the best goals I’ve seen this season. Lovely bit acceleration from Jose too.

How does Gross play his initial pass.
I've only seen it a couple of times on MotD, and not best placed to see it live, but it looks like he plays a standard side footed pass but with the outside of his foot.
Only to then deftly lay the ball off a second time for Jose's all too 'easy' cross.

As you say, world class from all concerned.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He made the 2nd for Murray. That give and go is just unplayable. Also brilliant for the 4th, the way he goes past the defender and gets the cross in.

He seems to be learning and making much better decisions game by game. He's not just cutting in on his right any more.
I think it's the goals he's scored when cutting in that's meant defenders are trying to stop him doing it, which gives him more space to get to the byline and cut it back for a tap in.

He's no doubt learning more about his teammates, and them him. The give and goes wouldn't have worked so well when he first arrived. I don't think it's about him learning to be a better player, he probably already had that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's really beginning to find his feet now. He always looked like he should be an excellent player it's just taken a bit of time to get the hang of what's expected of him/how we play. Now he's found his groove and rhythm in the team he looks a real threat.

It's interesting how our wing play has changed this season. It used to be the winger and fullback linking up as beautifully exemplified by Knockaert and Bruno ripping opposition left flanks to shreds time and again. Now a lot of our best wing play comes from the wingers linking up with Gross and Murray. It's an equally if not more beautiful sight.
I agree there's been a bit of a change, but it's not like Bong and Schelotto aren't getting forward. It is of course a bit different to the Bruno Knocky double act.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and who could possibly have thought it might take time for a player to settle? Really what were the odds???
Not only that, he wasn't being played every game. Propper and Gross needed time to settle, but due to injuries (Sidwell, Kayal, Baldock) they were playing every game, so they were able to settle after a few games. Jose played well in his first 10 minutes against Watford, and wasn't bad in the other games he was in either, but he wasn't being given much time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fantastic contribution all round, Izqueirdo absolutely RINSED that fullback for the 4th. Unplayable.

But its also worth noting the exquisite subtlety of Gross in the build-ups. His pass for Knocky for the 3rd was sublime, the weight of it was perfection. But the wall-ball passes with Izqueirdo were immense as well. His awareness, touch and sheer deftness on the edge of the area is on another level at times. To have someone as explosive as Izqueirdo combining with the intuition and deftness of touch as Gross when they are within a few yards of each other is a defenders nightmare, and between them they ripped Swansea a new one yesterday.

Lovely.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He is indeed looking really great now, and I had my doubts. He did appear a one trick pony at first but these give and goes are a thing of beauty!! Still a paradox: his close control dribbling and one-twos can be amazing. His first touch and first touch shooting is sometimes truly awful.

Awful is grossly unfair. Compared to the rest of the Albion team his instant control and keeping hold of the ball is not so good. But compared to the rest of the Premier League it is very good. I don't expect it will get any better as he will be marked more closely and closed down quicker. Stats say he loses the ball half as much as Salah and his passing is nearly as good. Goals per game is only as third as good, as expected. Assists are not quite as good as Salah either.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here