Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New Year Resolution. GIVE BLOOD.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Will be donating in a Horley on Friday. Nearly upto 60 donations now.

What's quite nice these days, is that you get a text saying where they have used your donation.

Plus there is an outstanding selection of snacks post bleed. Mint Club biscuits anyone?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thank you to everyone that has gone through the process of donating blood in their life. I was in a very bad way a few weeks ago but with the help of a blood transfusion operation that took over three hours to perform I feel so much better now. I've struggled to sleep at times and still feel very emotional after the procedure. I'd love to meet my donor, whoever it is. My regular check-ups have gone well and it means so much to me that there are people out there that help the quality of or save lives.

You are all heroes and the power of human kindness is incredible. :kiss:

DavePage

I donated blood twice a year in England from my teens, I get to Canada and they won't accept blood from me because I lived in England during the Mad Cow years, really go figure.
I'm told they had Mad Cow here, so whats the difference? especially when they are crying out for donators. Rant over.

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Donation number 80 coming up for me next week. It doesn't take long and it gives me a small feeling of contributing some good.

I've given regularly since I was 18 and it's amazing how much the procedure has changed in that time. You used to be able to turn up at any time and donate but now it's strictly appointments only (unless you're prepared to wait for ages on the off chance of a cancellation). They used to give you anaesthetic before inserting the main needle, now they just stick it in (but it doesn't really hurt after the initial "scratch"). They used to make you lie down for a few minutes after donating, now they get you out of the tilting seat as soon as possible (Off for nice cup of tea and a few biscuits much more quickly). They used to bandage your arm afterwards if you preferred but I haven't seen that for ages (perhaps the plasters they use don't irritate peoples skin so much?). The staff used to sit and talk with you through the whole process. Now a few of them have to spread themselves between all of the people there and you don't get much more chat than thanks for coming (but maybe some people prefer that).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This thread gave me the impetus I needed to start giving blood and have now vowed to become a regular donor. Nice and easy to do so at Sussex cricket ground in Hove.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Donation number 80 coming up for me next week. It doesn't take long and it gives me a small feeling of contributing some good.

I've given regularly since I was 18 and it's amazing how much the procedure has changed in that time. You used to be able to turn up at any time and donate but now it's strictly appointments only (unless you're prepared to wait for ages on the off chance of a cancellation). They used to give you anaesthetic before inserting the main needle, now they just stick it in (but it doesn't really hurt after the initial "scratch"). They used to make you lie down for a few minutes after donating, now they get you out of the tilting seat as soon as possible (Off for nice cup of tea and a few biscuits much more quickly). They used to bandage your arm afterwards if you preferred but I haven't seen that for ages (perhaps the plasters they use don't irritate peoples skin so much?). The staff used to sit and talk with you through the whole process. Now a few of them have to spread themselves between all of the people there and you don't get much more chat than thanks for coming (but maybe some people prefer that).

Exactly this. And not a small feeling of contribution, it is a huge contribution that has nothing to do with wealth, standing, race or anything else, it is universal, equal, and will likely save a life or make one better.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Thank you to everyone that has gone through the process of donating blood in their life. I was in a very bad way a few weeks ago but with the help of a blood transfusion operation that took over three hours to perform I feel so much better now. I've struggled to sleep at times and still feel very emotional after the procedure. I'd love to meet my donor, whoever it is. My regular check-ups have gone well and it means so much to me that there are people out there that help the quality of or save lives.

You are all heroes and the power of human kindness is incredible. :kiss:
Glad to hear you're on the mend. [emoji106]

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I can only echo the OP - if you can, then do.

I can't, but its thanks to people who do that I'm here at all. Ironic really that its the fact that I have received the benefits of blood donations that prevents me from returning the favour, but there you go.
Is that simply because of your sexuality or something else if you don't mind me asking ? I thought all blood was tested before being passed on ?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Is that simply because of your sexuality or something else if you don't mind me asking ? I thought all blood was tested before being passed on ?

Current regulations mean that if you've received blood in a transfusion or any other procedure since about 1984, you are ineligible to donate.

I have, so I can't.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Current regulations mean that if you've received blood in a transfusion or any other procedure since about 1984, you are ineligible to donate.

I have, so I can't.

Fair enough mate. Wasn't aware of that. There again i don't give blood but that would count my missus out as she received a vital transfusion or two last year.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Fair enough mate. Wasn't aware of that. There again i don't give blood but that would count my missus out as she received a vital transfusion or two last year.

Not having a pop, but have you thought of donating to pay it back on her behalf?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not having a pop, but have you thought of donating to pay it back on her behalf?

Pay it back ? I thought giving blood is a personal choice and a donation ?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Pay it back ? I thought giving blood is a personal choice and a donation ?

Indeed it is.

Paying back in the figurative sense, like you might return a favour.

Genuinely not having a pop (as I said).

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Indeed it is.

Paying back in the figurative sense, like you might return a favour.

Genuinely not having a pop (as I said).

Sorry Ghost not derailing this thread. It's all about choices. I wish not to donate. I do however carry a donors card in my wallet.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I have been donating regularly for about 10 years and wished I had started sooner. I was prompted by a mobile unit that came to the industrial estate where I worked at the time although I believe these are being phased out / canned.

Mine takes about 4 and a half minutes to work its way out.

Never taken so much as a custard cream off the NHS in return although I do have a couple of glasses of their water.

As others have mentioned, it is a nice feeling when you get the text saying where yours has been used.

I wish it was easier to get an appointment sometimes.

If anyone wants to hear more about the donation experience, feel free to PM me.

I think the service should promote a "Bring a Friend" type promotion to encourage more donors.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The best thing is when they send you a text message telling you where your blood went. My first donation went to Birmingham children's hospital. The chance that I could have played a small part in saving a child's life was all I needed to make me a regular.

If I knew whose blood I was given I'd take them out for a meal and foot the entire bill. The emotional bond would be so strong. No amount of money can put a price on feeling better and being able to do normal everyday things without coming over sick and dizzy as I was before.

I just hope that one day I can repay the favour and donate blood although it could be a while.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I've struggled to book a time recently so checked after reading this thread and got one for 6th August (my 23rd donation it seems). I've taken my children with me before so they are not scared of the process and can donate in future. I've never had a text telling me where my donations go though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here