Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha... cheat

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So we can't judge that to be a dive then? Ok whoever is in the studio, who isn't a BHA supporter also said it was a dive. Good enough?

I'm saying it's a dive.

I'm saying there is no chance that there will be retrospective action.

I'm saying that if that was Knockaert most of us would have a different view: "there was some slight contact, he was running fast and off balance" etc.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Because we see it time and time again: football fans are largely incapable of judging without bias.

It's why nearly all Albion fans thought Dale Stephens should not have been sent off, but nearly everyone else though a red was right.

It's why nearly all Albion fans thought Hemed was treated unjustly, but a fair percentage of other fans thought it as the right decision.
Oh, the voice of reason...BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm saying that if that was Knockaert most of us would have a different view: "there was some slight contact, he was running fast and off balance" etc.

For a dive of that magnitude? No, definitely not. We'd be embarrassed.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The stupid thing is he doesnt need to keep doing this, I am sure he would get more goals and a lot less stick trying to actually but the ball in the net and staying on his feet. I used to fall over less than him after 100 pints

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Ivory Coast.

But he has played twice for England. I didn’t realise he’d switched allegiances (or that the rules had changed to allow it).

No change only counts if it was in a competitive match, he played in friendlies so free to change.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

For a dive of that magnitude? No, definitely not. We'd be embarrassed.

In fact, right now we'd be discussing whether Knocky gets a retro ban.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes. Still conned the Ref. It won’t be looked at though - there is contact.
But the ref saw it, thought it was a pen so no chance of a ban.

I point you to Niasse for Everton against Palace - ref saw it, gave a penalty. Niasse was retrospectively banned for diving, despite clear contact. For years, the gold standard has been 'if there's any contact it can't be a dive' so I was surprised they banned Niasse, but they have set that precedent. And I believe there was a bournemouth player a few weeks ago yellow carded for diving (rightfully, imo) despite contact. It seems contact isn't enough anymore.

In theory, this is pretty much the same thing. The question is the retrospective panel - they aren't famed for consistency and might argue that the miss meant no advantage. But he successfully conned the referee, got a penalty that could have won them the game, got a defender booked, which weakened the defence as they have to be extra careful knowing that they don't have to actually foul Zaha to received another yellow (and as far as I am aware, that yellow card won't be rescinded which could be important in a potential totting up ban). That is a clear advantage, that palace didn't take that advantage shouldn't be a consideration.

But if that was one of our players, we absolutely would be pointing to Sterling's arm, saying there was a nudge that put Zaha off balance.

On another note, it seems to me that the penalties that shouldn't be given seem to be missed/saved at a higher rate than those that should. (Today's and our's against Burnley the first two examples that spring to mind).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But the ref saw it, thought it was a pen so no chance of a ban.
Well there have been a couple of instances where refs saw it, gave penalties and players were charged.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I haven't seen his latest 'dive' yet, but seeing as there have been a couple of dives which have won penalties where he has already started to go down and looked for contact in the process which weren't looked at, i doubt anything will happen unless the media make a big thing of it as it seems that the FA are incapable of looking at things themselves but rely on trial by media (which has a big club bias) to decided which incidents to look at and what to ignore

The pundits saying there was minimal contact but it's definitely a penalty and the player is entitled to exaggerate it to make sure it's awarded when, in truth, it's just blatant cheating is disgusting imo.

There was an Everton player who was retrospectively banned for a dive when there was far more contact and more of a foul than in several other incident this season which never led to retrospective action despite being as much as, if not more of a dive that the Everton players effort.

It's the inconsistency that annoys me, and the feeling that there is a big club bias as they possess the stars of the league and don't wish to unset those clubs in fear they quit and form a European league and also in terms of the product itself being damaged in that they will be missing players which are the ones people tune in to see play on TV week in week out (the audience probably doesn't care about a Carlos Kickaball playing for Stoke, but would care if Lukaku was missing for Man U)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't understand how 'we' can be outraged when Murray did exactly the same to 'win' his penalty v Burnley.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Zaha throwing himself about like a carrier bag in the wind, Puncheon being a scumbag thug potentially breaking De Bruyne's leg, nothing new here

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You were desperate for that, get you out of the hole you dug. As I said, we would be discussing whether Knocky got a retro ban for it right now.

Look at this website. We don't all agree. It's not about all or nothing. There would be both, some fans admitting it was a dive (as I assume some palace fans will, maybe not those that come on here, but the reasonable ones) being embarrassed, asking how we can dare criticise Zaha after Knockaert dived like that; but there would also be fans pointing to Sterling's nudge, maybe accepting it wasn't enough for a pen, but definitely not a dive.

I am in mind of a Calderon booking for a dive in a match where there was contact from the keeper. I'm pretty sure I was making the 'there was contact, so it's not a dive' argument (not because I agreed with that standard, but that it was the standard that was widely applied at the time).

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
ZAHA-DIVE_1.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here