Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Dental implants abroad

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I'm looking into going to Hungary too. I'm retired so time isn't an issue...( apart from pegging out of course). If I go ahead , I'll use some the time to look around Hungary as I have never been there.

So yo are going to have surgery in a country you have never visited by a dentist you have obviously never seen ?

Total madness.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Needing 3 done at £2000 each on NHS, cant afford that but dont want dentures, keep hearing about treatment abroad being loads cheaper and generally very good. Anyone had experience of this any costs, contacts, details etc, Thanks
I spoke about major work to a guy in South Africa, it would have cost several thousand there. However he openly admitted that he works a third of the year in the UK and charges 3 times as much. He also said the surgeon in Cape Town was as good as you would get anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I’m having two done at the moment. Perlan in Eastbourne. It’s horribly expensive but for all rhe reasons driller says, reassuringly professional.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Some extremely good, top class dentists here in Spain. Average cost of implant is 700 euros. My wife had a complicated extraction, re-build of bone and eventually, a double implant. It took time, very highly skilled work that cost 1,900 euros - co-incidentally a friend of hers in the UK had similar work at the same time - cost in the UK £5000!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
So yo are going to have surgery in a country you have never visited by a dentist you have obviously never seen ?

Total madness.

Do you honestly think I, or the vast majority of people, would go abroad to a 'new' dentist without doing as much research as possible and checking hundreds of reviews....even asking for any shared experiences on NSC....?

NSC is just another forum to enquire on opinions, experiences etc etc etc.

To think otherwise would indeed be madness.

Going by your name on here, are you a dentist ....or connected to that trade where exhorbitant amounts of money are earned and many , many times as has been proven, undertake unnecessary and expensive work on unsuspecting clients...?

Let's be honest here, if you have a raging toothache over the Xmas period and Joe Bloggs is the only dentist willing to work......you wouldn't 'know' him, but you would still go there for treatment.

Happy New Year to you.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Some extremely good, top class dentists here in Spain. Average cost of implant is 700 euros. My wife had a complicated extraction, re-build of bone and eventually, a double implant. It took time, very highly skilled work that cost 1,900 euros - co-incidentally a friend of hers in the UK had similar work at the same time - cost in the UK £5000!

That is an interesting post.

Spain is significantly nearer to me than Hungary, and cost looks good.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the problem with dental implants abroad are :

1. no follow up treatment - basically placed fitted and then good bye. if they go wrong you need attention early to save them
2. they do not use 'branded ' systems ( like some cheaper places over here) - basically copy of tried and tested audited systems
3. who do you complain too if wrongly placed- if done here they will be insured upto the hilt for compensation
4. your dentist here will not treat them if failing
5. corners cut abroad - you need time to heal after the implant placed before loading- this does not often happen abroad; if t does you need multiple appointments - cost of flight hotel etc to be addedd
6.they will place implants in anyone abroad - maybe you are not suited - not everyone can have them - gum disease / bone levels etc may mean you are not ideal patient and destined to failure

at the end of the day if done properly they will last a very long time, if not you are throwing your money away.

it is your body, but you are not shopping around for a cheaper car so be careful

pm me if you want experienced advice not hearsay advice

Depends what you mean by ‘abroad’ and what that infers. I had mine done in the US and most of the above does not apply to there.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Cracks me up that people parochially believe British dentists are somehow the best in the world when our teeth are a global joke.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Cracks me up that people parochially believe British dentists are somehow the best in the world when our teeth are a global joke.

True, but i think that has a lot to do with our phyci and the NHS. We our brought up with the understanding of a system that offers free at source treatment - from a broken toe to a heart transplant- so when we have to dip into our pockets for eyes and teeth care many of us are at best begrudging to do so.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
True, but i think that has a lot to do with our phyci and the NHS. We our brought up with the understanding of a system that offers free at source treatment - from a broken toe to a heart transplant- so when we have to dip into our pockets for eyes and teeth care many of us are at best begrudging to do so.

This is so true.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Needing 3 done at £2000 each on NHS, cant afford that but dont want dentures, keep hearing about treatment abroad being loads cheaper and generally very good. Anyone had experience of this any costs, contacts, details etc, Thanks

I thought the maximum charge for NHS dental work was £244.30 ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I had my 3 done [fitted last Christmas] by Hungarian dentists in the UK - www.perfectprofilesclinics.co.uk
Over a 12 month period, probably about six visits to the surgery - no way was I going out to Hungary that often.
Perfect Profiles fly the dentist to the UK - ideal solution
Paid just over £3k but didn't go for the basic model [their prices start at £680 per tooth]
Hungarians are supposed to be the world leaders in implant dentistry.
Took lots of advice from@driller

PM me if you want more details ....

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Anyone else got any more stories about this?

I was looking at Krakow... but now will look at Cork, Spain and Hungary too...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Anyone else got any more stories about this?

I was looking at Krakow... but now will look at Cork, Spain and Hungary too...

If I was going to have anything done to my teeth, don't think I would have it done in Crack-OW! I'm guessing your appointment is 2:30 as well?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought the maximum charge for NHS dental work was £244.30 ?

Implants are not covered by the NHS, except in very rare circumstances. Even bridges are not covered in most cases. A denture is the most expensive dental work in the NHS.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I was going to have anything done to my teeth, don't think I would have it done in Crack-OW! I'm guessing your appointment is 2:30 as well?

Knock, knock.
Who’s there?
Dishes.
Dishes, who?
Dishes how I talk since I lost my teeth!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here