Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a Championship team playing in the Premier League?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If nothing else, yesterday we played what seems to be Hughton's first choice side, and 8 of the 10 outfield players were regulars last season, so almost by definition a Championship side.

It was a very, very good Championship side however and probably illustrates that the top few in the Championship aren't too far away from the lower half of the Premier League.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I haven't been arsed to read however many pages, but there are 14 teams playing at Championship/Prem level.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree. Also i imagine a lot of this season's Prem money is earmarked for other things. The aim is to spend as little as possible and survive this season. After 2 or 3 season's money we can start buying Prem quality players.

I think TB would spend the big money, for example in this window, as PB said "staying up this season is everything". For the right player/s.

They're NOT playing a cautious game, to go down and have a huge warchest for the Championship season 2018/19. Boro, Villa and many others have on paper been able to do just that, but soon found it's a division with a dozen other wealthy clubs hell bent on going up that season.

Gross, Dunk, Stephens and Duffy will not play Championship football, so staying up really is everything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wolves have a couple of players who were playing regular first team football for Porto last season. One of which is the weirdest transfer I've seen in a long time, a young international midfielder that many PL clubs were chasing but Mendes transferred him to Wolves instead. It's very much the Jorge Mendes show there, even the manager was his very first client I believe (NES).

If they don't win the Championship at a canter then it would be a massive failure, both us and Newcastle would have struggled last season with them in their current state.

They will win it at a cantor. I've seen alot of them, they're brilliant, not just attacking, but they score any sort of goal, can defend, battle against dirty teams and have Albion-like team spirit. I do realise that they've achieved this by acquiring/borrowing a stack of internationals on probably huge wages.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Premier League is niow being shiown as the top 6 and the others as all teams have accepted they will not beat the top teams so make changhes to give the players a rest so rthey can play against teams around them in the table. Stoke did it against Man City as did Newcastle saying their next games are more importrant. CH does the same for us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We are a hybrid squad containing Premier League quality but also Championship quality.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
[If they don't win the Championship at a canter then it would be a massive failure, both us and Newcastle would have struggled last season with them in their current state.[/QUOTE]

WHAT ?--- you are in your own timeframe and can only compete with that !
your statement is like saying AJ would beat both Ali and Tison ---who knows ? that's gone !

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think you have to appreciate where we have come from. This season is all about survival and then if we stay up, we will build from there. I’d be far more worried if I was a Newcastle fan given they had parachute payments last season and have spent heavily compared to us in the last two seasons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There are only 6 or 7 teams that are Premier League quality.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I don't think that tells us anything we didn't know, from an Albion POV, anyway. CH always said the Championship squad deserved a crack at the big time and many of them have been, so in that respect he's true to his word.

To be honest, I think there are a few teams in the division that similarly 'lack Premier League quality' – some who haven't been in the Championship for years!

Much admire CH for that stance but hope he will not allow it to prejuducially affect our chances of maintaining out PL status !

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
No. We’re 12th. If we were bottom I’d probably agree

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
By definition we’re a Premier League team playing in the Premier League? My opinion will only change if come the end of the season we’re in the bottom three. Which we won’t be.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yes we are and you nailed it mate, it will take at least 3 seasons and transfers to get to the right standard, but I have assumed that that's what CH is doing.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
We are a Premier League team as is every other club in this league, we are laying the foundations for a long stay hopefully and that is built on a strong Defense. We certainly aren’t ther yet with our attacking options but to sacrifice our strengths in the pursuit of goals instead of points would be folly that’s not to say we don’t need a striker who can terrify defenders as opposed to just keeping them busy which would increase the confidence of our wingers as there would be a higher return on their endeavors. None of our players have embarrassed themselves and hopefully with a couple of astute additions in January, our first season in PL will be a success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here