Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a Championship team playing in the Premier League?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All the comments about 'top 6 v everyone else' are odd coming 18 months after Leicester won the whole damn kit and kaboodle.

2 of the 6 are going to get sucked into the 'others'.
If it's Arsenal it'll be their second season in a row.
Spurs are a manager move away from their usual impending disaster.
Liverpool are still a manager move away from being decent.

City aside the top 6 are quite fragile and as more money comes into The Premier League the gap between the have and have nots ought to get smaller not bigger.
I'm sure their are plenty of players who'll accept deals with 'lesser' clubs to get the exposure and move to a 'top 6' side.

It feels like most of the time reading NSC we are definitely championship fans watching in the Premier League.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
We're a probationary Premier League team this season,but next season we can push on and become an established Premier League team in our second season.(As we are definitely staying up :albion2:)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We're a probationary Premier League team this season,but next season we can push on and become an established Premier League team in our second season.(As we are definitely staying up :albion2:)

The difficulty will be getting to 3 years in the premier league

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It takes at least two seasons to convert a Championship side to a Premier League side that is mid-table comfortable, because it involves a whole new set of players - which takes time to find, recruit, and build. Plus lots and lots of money.

Players that look world beaters in the Championship can suddenly appear very average on the next step up. For example, Knockeart hasn't set the world alight this season yet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No. The side we have now would run away with the championship. Anyone saying look at Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield to see there is no different between PL and Championship spectacularly missed the point that none of us are playing with a comparable side to last year (outside of maybe Newcastle who kept the vast majority of a PL squad from the season before)

Have you watched Wolves much? They are brilliant in every aspect.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
There is the proverbial catch 22 here. As long as there remains championship quality teams in the PL there is a greater chance championship quality teams with remain above three other championship quality sides that get relegated down. This is more a display of the overall quality of English football. Is English football quality going down or is it being concentrated more in the top 6 of the PL?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
All the comments about 'top 6 v everyone else' are odd coming 18 months after Leicester won the whole damn kit and kaboodle.

If it's Arsenal it'll be their second season in a row.
Spurs are a manager move away from their usual impending disaster.
Liverpool are still a manager move away from being decent.

City aside the top 6 are quite fragile and as more money comes into The Premier League the gap between the have and have nots ought to get smaller not bigger.
I'm sure their are plenty of players who'll accept deals with 'lesser' clubs to get the exposure and move to a 'top 6' side.

It feels like most of the time reading NSC we are definitely championship fans watching in the Premier League.

Can I order top 6 fragility please.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The Prem is the top 6 teams. The other 14 teams are in the journey man division. None of the teams play to win, they play to compete and not get totally outclassed. The journey man division is where a clean sheet is the target and a draw is a win. The biggest achievements made by the journey men teams will be selling their players at high prices. This is seen as an equivalent to qualifying for Europe in the journey man division.

Newcastle fans need to adapt to the division better so they can start enjoying yesterdays great success.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

No, no they don't.

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 13.33.29.png

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Have you watched Wolves much? They are brilliant in every aspect.

Wolves have a couple of players who were playing regular first team football for Porto last season. One of which is the weirdest transfer I've seen in a long time, a young international midfielder that many PL clubs were chasing but Mendes transferred him to Wolves instead. It's very much the Jorge Mendes show there, even the manager was his very first client I believe (NES).

If they don't win the Championship at a canter then it would be a massive failure, both us and Newcastle would have struggled last season with them in their current state.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Nearly all newly promoted teams are just good Championship teams with a couple of premier league quality players. The trouble is that you can't change the whole team in one summer as it would destroy morale and the team would take too long to gel. If we stay up this season we will get another 3 or 4 premier league quality players and build accordingly. That's the plan anyway

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes we very much have a very good championship side like many in this division.Id say wolves probably have a better squad than us in the championship and maybe a couple of others also.

It's a case of many chasing the money from the championship to prem but hoping they survive without spending the money :)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nearly all newly promoted teams are just good Championship teams with a couple of premier league quality players. The trouble is that you can't change the whole team in one summer as it would destroy morale and the team would take too long to gel. If we stay up this season we will get another 3 or 4 premier league quality players and build accordingly. That's the plan anyway
Doesn't matter how much you change or improve the squad over the years as most in this division will be looking to avoid the drop regardless of spending,so you may as well just spend less and hope for the best :)

Lush

Mods' Pet

Agree. Also i imagine a lot of this season's Prem money is earmarked for other things. The aim is to spend as little as possible and survive this season. After 2 or 3 season's money we can start buying Prem quality players.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agree. Also i imagine a lot of this season's Prem money is earmarked for other things. The aim is to spend as little as possible and survive this season. After 2 or 3 season's money we can start buying Prem quality players.

No, there's no basis in reality in that. We bought Gross, Suttner, Pröpper, Ryan and Izquierdo in the summer without raising any money through sales. We did spend in the summer and we did try and spend even bigger money on a striker, the aim is to buy Premier League players to replace the ones in our squad who aren't quite up to the standard.

No team waits 2/3 years to improve, because you won't still be at the level.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Isn't this the same for the promoted sides every season!? Hardly rocket science.

Also mainly why I don't get the negativity on here - we're doing bloody well with the squad we have, delighted to have 22pts on the board already.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm sure we will be fine for some time to come. From a fan's perspective, I hate the premiership and would prefer to be back in the Championship. Even the hope that we'd get to see more games on TV hasn't really come to light. But then I prefer Withdean to Amex so what do I know.

Can't agree with being back in the Championship, but I certainly enjoyed the ride through the divisions to the old 1st division rather more than the arrival, back in 1979. It all seemed a bit of an anti-climax and if my memory serves me correctly, the attendances dropped a bit as well (though I may be wrong about this.)
Survive this season and we should be ok for some time, I reckon.
Got to start scoring goals though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here