Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a Championship team playing in the Premier League?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Lots of gloomy coverage in the Toon press after yesterday's 0-0.

This particular bit of analysis was pretty stark arguing that both teams are actually Championship teams operating in the Premier League

"This is not intended to be unnecessarily disparaging on any of the players on display, but there was a distinct lack of quality on show at St James’ Park.
Though both sides may have made additions during the summer, it is quite obvious that the nucleus of both teams still remain that of a Championship XI. There was mistake after mistake from both teams, and neither really grasped hold of the initiative throughout.

Neither side has a proven top-flight finisher in their ranks, neither has a player who offers real ingenuity and invention, and neither has a dominant central-midfielder.

The bottom half of the Premier League really is becoming dislodged from the top-10 teams - and, on the evidence of this, both Newcastle and Brighton face a season-long struggle to survive.

Benitez needs backing in January, because this team most certainly does lack Premier League quality - and this ponderous 90-minute performance only highlighted that further."
via http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-0-0-brighton-two-14096092

Better performance for us yesterday and rash to sum up the season based on that 90 minutes. But a decent away point doesn't cover up the Champ players playing in the Premier League criticism which is often used on here especially for our fringe squad players. And aren't all the teams outside the top 6 or perhaps in the bottom 10 open to this "Championship" criticism ?
I'd say Dunk, Ryan have definitely shown premier league quality this season with others fleetingly especially Gross but how wide off the mark is this ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Absolutely spot on.

Dunk will be a better player in a better team of which there is no doubt. Apart from that I see his point about championship players and the two divisions ...although I would say top 6 rather than top 10.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, I think that the Newcastle press are mistaking 'Premier league quiality' for 'top 6 quality'. The premier league is not all that good in depth imo and loads of the teams are operating at the same or a similar level.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Sour grapes, after we've taken 4 points off them.

Did you watch the game?

On the channel I was watching, as the second half was starting the commentator said "If you think you have a bad job, spare a thought for the guy who prepares the highlights of the first half".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The bottom half of the Premier League really is becoming dislodged from the top-10 teams - and, on the evidence of this, both Newcastle and Brighton face a season-long struggle to survive.

I agree with the second bit. I feel this is going to be a slog between a fair few clubs, including ourselves. As I posted elsewhere, if West Brom manage to beat Arsenal today (and with Arsenal as flaky as they are - it could happen), then 4 points will divide 9 clubs. Huddersfield and, to a lesser extent, out-of-sorts Watford are also not immune from being involved in the scrap either.

And that brings me to the first bit which is partly correct. It's not a top 10 v the rest though, it's a top 6 v the rest. After a dodgy start, Everton look capable of sitting in that no-mans-land between the Champions League contenders and the also-rans. Burnley look set to join them this season, assuming the position of Southampton.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't think that tells us anything we didn't know, from an Albion POV, anyway. CH always said the Championship squad deserved a crack at the big time and many of them have been, so in that respect he's true to his word.

To be honest, I think there are a few teams in the division that similarly 'lack Premier League quality' – some who haven't been in the Championship for years!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This could be a criticism of the bottom 12 teams in the PL, and indeed all the big leagues in Europe. They are all made up of 2 or 3 teams that could win them, 4 or 5 that could qualify for Europe, and the rest are in a relegation scrap.

It's modern football.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We’ve only just arrived... give it some time. We’re doing great... Yes it’s a bit boring but we kind of have to set up not to lose games at the moment. Patience is required imo...

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Did you watch the game?

On the channel I was watching, as the second half was starting the commentator said "If you think you have a bad job, spare a thought for the guy who prepares the highlights of the first half".

Yes I did watch it. Don't know what the commentator said as it was in foreign.
But we, at least, played some damned good football.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We’ve only just arrived... give it some time. We’re doing great... Yes it’s a bit boring but we kind of have to set up not to lose games at the moment. Patience is required imo...

It took 9 posts for this answer, we are just as good as the teams around us. Many have a better squad but don't get the results required, we are significantly better than 12 months ago when we were too good for the Championship.

these players have earnt the right to play in the premier league and they are doing us proud

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We're 12th and only a few points off those ahead of us. I think it's therefore more of a case of the Premier League not being all its cracked up to be, bar the top 6. Even Burnley, this year's media darlings, have been pretty bang average - just well drilled - whenever I've watched them

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Course we are a championship side playing in the Premier League, it will take time.

However I think part of the problem yesterday was lack of ambition from both sides rather than a lack of quality. Both teams looked frightened to push for the win, and until either Stephens or Pröpper are allowed to get forward we will continue to struggle to create and score as we often have one isolated player the the opposing box.

I wouldn’t say I’ve seen a lot of ‘Premier League’ quality outside of the top 6

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes, we are. And we're doing quite well at it. Better than many of the other Championship teams in the Premier League that are below us.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

The dislodge is actually between the top seven and everyone else. The only team that is hanging onto the coat tails of the big six is Burnley and they are very well organised, very disciplined and effective at gaining advantages in the margins. However, they are nothing more than a very good Championship side, same as us, Newcastle and everyone else in the mix. Over the next few years we will all be relegated at some point and will be replaced by other effective units, until it is their turn to get relegated. Outside of the top six and the odd individual at some other clubs, Premier League quality is a myth. Our Championship side has been improved by players from players from the lower half of other European leagues and, if organised, hard working and fortunate, has as much chance of surviving as more than half of the division.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Did you watch the game?

That's the stream I was watching. :lolol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
There are two leagues in one. The reality is that in terms of quality you have the top six, (and arguably Man City are in their own league) and then you have the rest who are only marginally better than the top six in the championship.

It would be better if the top six went into some kind of European league and the rest of us got on with our own league. Provided you could still be promoted into the European league I would be happier with that.

The current set up just feels like we are here to make the numbers up and as a result the quality of non top 6 football suffers as a result.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
We're a PL team based on how we're well drilled and the squad knows how to play to each others strengths, we have a clear game plan for most situations and have allotted a fair points total. The squad does have several borderline Championship quality players but the strength of the unit usually makes up for this

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd suggest we're a team of two halves. Our defence is worthy of top ten in the Prem (and arguably performing on a par with the defences of Liverpool or Arsenal). Our midfield and attack IMHO are no better than top half of the Championship.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What has struck me most from the games against Newcastle in the top flight is how jammy they were to be champions last season. The flukiest ever goal at our place and playing 10 at theirs. 0 points v 4. This season's games in my view are a better barometer of which club is better on the pitch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here