Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Are we a Championship team playing in the Premier League?

1 Not allowed!
    Lots of gloomy coverage in the Toon press after yesterday's 0-0.

This particular bit of analysis was pretty stark arguing that both teams are actually Championship teams operating in the Premier League

"This is not intended to be unnecessarily disparaging on any of the players on display, but there was a distinct lack of quality on show at St James’ Park.
    Though both sides may have made additions during the summer, it is quite obvious that the nucleus of both teams still remain that of a Championship XI. There was mistake after mistake from both teams, and neither really grasped hold of the initiative throughout.

Neither side has a proven top-flight finisher in their ranks, neither has a player who offers real ingenuity and invention, and neither has a dominant central-midfielder.

The bottom half of the Premier League really is becoming dislodged from the top-10 teams - and, on the evidence of this, both Newcastle and Brighton face a season-long struggle to survive.

Benitez needs backing in January, because this team most certainly does lack Premier League quality - and this ponderous 90-minute performance only highlighted that further."
    via http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport...n-two-14096092

Better performance for us yesterday and rash to sum up the season based on that 90 minutes. But a decent away point doesn't cover up the Champ players playing in the Premier League criticism which is often used on here especially for our fringe squad players. And aren't all the teams outside the top 6 or perhaps in the bottom 10 open to this "Championship" criticism ?
    I'd say Dunk, Ryan have definitely shown premier league quality this season with others fleetingly especially Gross but how wide off the mark is this ?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Absolutely spot on.

Dunk will be a better player in a better team of which there is no doubt. Apart from that I see his point about championship players and the two divisions ...although I would say top 6 rather than top 10.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

24 Not allowed!
      Yes, I think that the Newcastle press are mistaking 'Premier league quiality' for 'top 6 quality'. The premier league is not all that good in depth imo and loads of the teams are operating at the same or a similar level.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......

5 Not allowed!
      Sour grapes, after we've taken 4 points off them.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brok View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Sour grapes, after we've taken 4 points off them.
      Did you watch the game?

On the channel I was watching, as the second half was starting the commentator said "If you think you have a bad job, spare a thought for the guy who prepares the highlights of the first half".
      The greater their ignorance, the stronger their opinions.

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
      The bottom half of the Premier League really is becoming dislodged from the top-10 teams - and, on the evidence of this, both Newcastle and Brighton face a season-long struggle to survive.
      I agree with the second bit. I feel this is going to be a slog between a fair few clubs, including ourselves. As I posted elsewhere, if West Brom manage to beat Arsenal today (and with Arsenal as flaky as they are - it could happen), then 4 points will divide 9 clubs. Huddersfield and, to a lesser extent, out-of-sorts Watford are also not immune from being involved in the scrap either.

And that brings me to the first bit which is partly correct. It's not a top 10 v the rest though, it's a top 6 v the rest. After a dodgy start, Everton look capable of sitting in that no-mans-land between the Champions League contenders and the also-rans. Burnley look set to join them this season, assuming the position of Southampton.

1 Not allowed!
      I don't think that tells us anything we didn't know, from an Albion POV, anyway. CH always said the Championship squad deserved a crack at the big time and many of them have been, so in that respect he's true to his word.

To be honest, I think there are a few teams in the division that similarly 'lack Premier League quality' – some who haven't been in the Championship for years!
      Glory hunting since 1969 lawros left foot's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      This could be a criticism of the bottom 12 teams in the PL, and indeed all the big leagues in Europe. They are all made up of 2 or 3 teams that could win them, 4 or 5 that could qualify for Europe, and the rest are in a relegation scrap.

It's modern football.
      You be glad you be Sussex born!

21 Not allowed!
      We’ve only just arrived... give it some time. We’re doing great... Yes it’s a bit boring but we kind of have to set up not to lose games at the moment. Patience is required imo...
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
      May 2016

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by One Love View Post
      Did you watch the game?

On the channel I was watching, as the second half was starting the commentator said "If you think you have a bad job, spare a thought for the guy who prepares the highlights of the first half".
      Yes I did watch it. Don't know what the commentator said as it was in foreign.
      But we, at least, played some damned good football.