Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Anyone else think that this seems to be our biggest issue at the moment, far more than spending loads of Tony’s money in a risky punt on a striker.

If Duffy or Dunk had taken their chances this season from corners we’d be in the top half! And we wouldn’t have so many moaning about how much we need to spend on a striker.

At the other end our defending at corners is the only criticism you can make of our defenders this season. Stoke home really sticks out to me as an example of how this is a huge weakness.

That said great point v Newcastle. Onwards and upwards. :albion2:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I think Ryan should take them, easily our best distributor, and fast enough to get back to his line before its bounced in (to the oppositions net) from Dunks head

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we need more effort and concentration in defending them and more ambitious routine and innovation on attacking them as we have become stale and ineffective at both ends of the pitch with corners.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Only 3.2 % of goals come from a corner.

Unless it's The Albion...

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It is ironic that both Dunk and Duffy strength is in the air yet we concede so many goals ie 2 at Chelsea recently.

It would be ridiculous and wouldnt happen but I would like to see for entertainment value at least Dunk pushed forwards and Goldson pairing up with Duffy :) Whats the worst that could happen punk:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would be ridiculous and wouldnt happen but I would like to see for entertainment value at least Dunk pushed forwards and Goldson pairing up with Duffy :) Whats the worst that could happen punk:

We could lose rather than draw. The best is we could win rather than draw. Perhaps worth a gamble for the last 10 mins in some games. Rather than a straight Murray Hemed swap.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anyone else think that this seems to be our biggest issue at the moment, far more than spending loads of Tony’s money in a risky punt on a striker.

If Duffy or Dunk had taken their chances this season from corners we’d be in the top half! And we wouldn’t have so many moaning about how much we need to spend on a striker.

At the other end our defending at corners is the only criticism you can make of our defenders this season. Stoke home really sticks out to me as an example of how this is a huge weakness.

That said great point v Newcastle. Onwards and upwards. :albion2:

You can add that none of out defenders have scored this season nor either our central midfielders. There can't be many teams that can claim that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When taking corners, we should keep two banks of four, on just inside and one just outside our penalty area, with one player a couple of yards nearer the centre circle. The corner taker should just push the ball a couple of yards in front of him, then scamper back at top speed to join up with his team-mates defending our goal.
Let's see how those jumped up PL superstars cope with that, eh?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Duffy missing good chances from an attacking corner in every game is as inevitable as day turning to night and night turning to day.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I think that we need more effort and concentration in defending them and more ambitious routine and innovation on attacking them as we have become stale and ineffective at both ends of the pitch with corners.

I would agree with that. I was listening to a 5live discussion while in the car and, although it wasn't about us, it was discussing how teams can get stale playing the same players week in week out. But we do have a depth of bench we haven't had for years so isn't it time to mix things up a bit and take a risk with different players?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I counted 5 players outside the box when the corner was delivered. We’re not going to score without taking a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I counted 5 players outside the box when the corner was delivered. We’re not going to score without taking a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They might though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They might though.

Maybe we ahould just play safe then. Short pass from the corner and back to Ryan to spray to a Brighton player. We aren’t going to score from a corner so might as well make sure we don’t get hit on the break? See, I am thinking like an ultra negative CH now :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe we ahould just play safe then. Short pass from the corner and back to Ryan to spray to a Brighton player. We aren’t going to score from a corner so might as well make sure we don’t get hit on the break? See, I am thinking like an ultra negative CH now :wink:

How about taking it short and instantly kick the ball out for a throw in.
Then we have the opposition pinned back in their own half and D & D should have enough time to get back and defend.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How about taking it short and instantly kick the ball out for a throw in.
Then we have the opposition pinned back in their own half and D & D should have enough time to get back and defend.

You obviously learnt nothing from Poyet’s time here. If you don’t let the opposition have the ball they can’t score :rolleyes:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here