Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pub dissicuon issue

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I work with one. Lovely guy who doesn't celebrate Christmas pro-actively but is always first to the Christmas cakes, mince pies and festive fare.

Oh dear, he's going to burn !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
what......so it suits them , unless it doesn't suit them ...?? observant,,?? if i go to Riyhad and steel some condoms and masurbate into a dustbin ......not saying that i would , but if i did i would get my business cut off .....they can come to UK , do shit they can't do at home and by that i mean rape our birds..we are so far up the saudis arses in monetary terms it really isn't funny any more ......sleep well.

Started early on the Advocaat by the sound of things.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think the bone of contention is the virgin birth and the resurrection. Oh, and being actually one third of god herself.

I don't think many true historians believe in virgin births etc and some do believe there is a possibility that a mortal similar to Jesus exist but 100% of all historians in the world do not conclusively believe this.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't think many true historians believe in virgin births etc and some do believe there is a possibility that a mortal similar to Jesus exist but 100% of all historians in the world do not conclusively believe this.

The existence of Jesus is pretty much undisputed by historians but they are not expected to assess his divinity. Historians and theologians are two different things.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The existence of Jesus is pretty much undisputed by historians but they are not expected to assess his divinity. Historians and theologians are two different things.

You are correct about the difference between historians and theologians, you are incorrect about the existence of Jesus being undisputed. A more realistic theory that the Jesus figure was based upon the idea that there were people in the Middle East who carried out humanitarian work in the name of God is a commonly held belief, they still do it today. The idea of one single man called Jesus defying rulers and carrying out missionary work is not widely held. The idea that all historians conclusively agree on this matter is laughable. Historians rarely conclusively agree on anything, especially as controversial as the existence of Jesus.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Christmas has lost all religious meaning to a lot of people as they are not religious themselves. It has a new meaning to them, one where it's about Santa for the kids, it's about spending time with family that you rarely see, good food and having fun at what would otherwise be quite a depressing time of year (short days, etc)

Besides, Christmas has its roots in European pagan culture when spreading Christianity borrowed from established winter solstice traditions and festivals across pagan Europe to establish itself as the dominant form of religious expression. (stolen traditions include: the tree in the house, feasting, caroling, mistletoe, gift giving and Santa)

You did so well until referring to him as Santa (I know originally Saint Nicolas and therefore Santa is a marginal derivative but it still irks me). Father Christmas is so much more genteel and less commercial than the Americanised Santa.

So few people appreciate the actual roots of Christmas traditions being pagan in nature and that what we think of as the traditional Christmas is in fact a hotch potch of ideas borrowed or stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
At my wifes school the few Muslims that attend celebrate it like any other child, joining in the nativity etc, however the Jehovas seem to get extremely jumpy, I watched as a smashing little lad who happened to be a Jehova was nearly in tears as another child 'innocently' taunted him saying he had said 'Merry Christmas', it seemed a strange reaction to the words Merry Christmas until I was later told that was because of his parents faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here