Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pub dissicuon issue

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It happens EVERY year .... some twonk ruins Christmas by bringing up religion! What do Christmas trees and sparkly lights have to do with a fictional character from the middle east???

Fictional? Historians are conclusivly in agreement that Jesus existed, sparkly lights and tinsel, amongst other things are often used to celebrate his birth ad subsequent life.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Some Coptic Christians celebrate Christmas twice, on 25th December and their own on January 7th.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Christmas as a festival has been going for much longer than Christianity. As with easter the Christians piggy backed on the winter festival and move the birthday of Jesus to coincide with it. As an atheist I feel perfectly within my rights to celebrate the winter festival and the spring festival without any religious connotations to cloud my enjoyment.

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas

In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Fictional? Historians are conclusivly in agreement that Jesus existed, sparkly lights and tinsel, amongst other things are often used to celebrate his birth ad subsequent life.

I think you will find SOME historians beleive a man called Jesus existed , historically, but not all historians beleive he was a son of God or other magical being there is still no conclusive proof

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In the Quran, there are a lot of stories about the life and teachings of the Muslim prophet Jesus Christ, who is called “Isa” in Arabic.

The Quran recalls the miraculous birth of Jesus Christ, his sayings and teachings, the miracles he performed and his life as a respected prophet of God.

Not to forget his mother, “Maryam”, whom is seen as one of the finest women who ever lived on Earth. Muslims believe that Allah chose Maryam as a great example of the best believers in the Quran. (Maryam is one of the most popular names among women in the Arab world.)

But despite the fact that Muslims believe in the virgin birth of Jesus, they do not mark the occasion as a holiday. Muslims respect Jesus as a righteous prophet of God.

So many people from the Muslim world will always wish the best to their brothers and sisters from different religions. Wishing a Christian person “Merry Christmas" should neither be seen as wrong nor haram.

Remember, wishing somebody a Merry Christmas doesn’t mean that you have to believe in their religion, just like how people from other religions would wish Muslims a 'Happy Eid', even if they aren’t Muslim.

Here's hoping that this clears up any confusion or misunderstandings.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I liked it when we had our ‘British’ Yuletide before all these foreign religions took over our country and brainwashed the masses! Can we kick out Christianity with Brexit as it’s about as British as Turkish delight!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Point of order here - Muslims do believe in Christ. As far as I understand it, they regard him as a prophet.

The is the problem with Christmas these days it should be about family and caring for one another. Now its just about money and prophets.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you will find SOME historians beleive a man called Jesus existed , historically, but not all historians beleive he was a son of God or other magical being there is still no conclusive proof

All classical historians agree that Jesus existed but as you say, not all believe in his teachings. He is mentioned in Jewish writings by Josephus, & a couple of Roman histories too (neither of which were Christian).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I liked it when we had our ‘British’ Yuletide before all these foreign religions took over our country and brainwashed the masses! Can we kick out Christianity with Brexit as it’s blatantly not British!

Bl**dy hell! Just how old are you? You are Methuselah and I claim my five smooth round white pebbles!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
All classical historians agree that Jesus existed but as you say, not all believe in his teachings. He is mentioned in Jewish writings by Josephus, & a couple of Roman histories too (neither of which were Christian).

The Roman God, Mithras, was born to a virgin, and was resurected after death. Seems to have been a lot of it about in those days.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I liked it when we had our ‘British’ Yuletide before all these foreign religions took over our country and brainwashed the masses! Can we kick out Christianity with Brexit as it’s about as British as Turkish delight!

The British Yuletide thing is Scandinavian but i take your point we should go back to our pagan roots and enjoy religious freedom.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Why should they when they dont believe in Christ so what is there to celebrate.

Well even Christians admit that this was not the time of year that Jesus was born. This celebration was hijacked by Constantinople for a good time to have a religious celebration instead of Saturnalia. They do "believe" in Jesus since he is a prophet for islam as well. Apart from that you are spot on...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a lad I went to a C of E School (Holy Trinirtty) and was brought up as a Christian so celebrate Christmas. I must however admit that I was wrong about Muslims not believng in Christ as we do and expressed it incorrectly, sorry.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
The Roman God, Mithras, was born to a virgin, and was resurected after death. Seems to have been a lot of it about in those days.

You're right, I also think one of Krishna's lives he was a carpenter born to a virgin and Hindu is the oldest practicing religion, come to think of it Kristna is a name easily misinterpreted maybe for Christ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here